Reworking my first .22lr

Talking of 22 ammo I got two more to try in my newish 457. CCI quiets with their segmented bullet(!).

And some of my all time favourites, Fiocchi subbies. 

The good news is the unfussy 457 shoots these two very well indeed.

The cci quiets are fun. As quiet as an air rifle ( until it connects) at 700fps plus.  The down side is they don't seem to stop squirrels very quickly with a center shot and as far as the segmented bullet  bursting into three parts.....err no. They may do with some normal velocity but not at these speeds.  Here is an exit wound on a squirrel, you decide!

20201205_155119.jpg.9ef501eba5e725edd703e60c4bd19a94.jpg20201205_152946.jpg.0710bf716ce4665faea86f18adf30807.jpg

?

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dug my old .22lr single shot out and decided I'd give it a new life as a target /pest rifle.  Doing a little video series on my progress    

I'm all for mid bore rifles and revolver calibers. They make excellent small game getters.

KimE here a can of what i like using Has worded on all my guns I've painted to far not sure if you can get it out there though

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Talking of 22 ammo I got two more to try in my newish 457. CCI quiets with their segmented bullet(!).

And some of my all time favourites, Fiocchi subbies. 

The good news is the unfussy 457 shoots these two very well indeed.

The cci quiets are fun. As quiet as an air rifle ( until it connects) at 700fps plus.  The down side is they don't seem to stop squirrels very quickly with a center shot and as far as the segmented bullet  bursting into three parts.....err no. They may do with some normal velocity but not at these speeds.  Here is an exit wound on a squirrel, you decide!

20201205_155119.jpg.9ef501eba5e725edd703e60c4bd19a94.jpg20201205_152946.jpg.0710bf716ce4665faea86f18adf30807.jpg

?

I had the same experience with them SD. I think they need more speed to work as they’re designed to. The standard subsonic ones work but I didn’t find them to be very accurate in my anschutz. There’s a hyper velocity version as well, basically segmented stingers. I bet they’d be interesting, but I haven’t seen any for sale.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

I had the same experience with them SD. I think they need more speed to work as they’re designed to. The standard subsonic ones work but I didn’t find them to be very accurate in my anschutz. There’s a hyper velocity version as well, basically segmented stingers. I bet they’d be interesting, but I haven’t seen any for sale.

They'd be better  with their lead hp up front! 

• Like 1

So little update,  finally got out again, went to shoot and a pin came undone,  no gunsmith within 2hours of me so google up a schematic and a how to and tore the little fella apart,  and I gotta say, I've broken down and relax assembled actual machine guns (M2 .50cal ,240 bravo, and the 249 SAW for those curious)with less frustration than this little guy but finally got it back together but now the firing pin won't fully engage soooo back to the gun vice ?

Takes to some folks and it might be the firing anvil needs a new pin altogether but nothing too serious.  On the bright side shouldn't take 1/4if the time now I know how it goes together ? 

• 1 month later...

So finally got the little mutant back up and runnnig ! Got to the point with a little bit of grease a slave pin, two punches and a small ballpeen hammer I can have this thing taken apart and put back together in about 10min. Anyhow ended up snapping another firing pin anvil and ened up using on made for a shotgun of a tip from a fella on another forum,works great ! Also ended up the hammer can't problem I was having was due to my firing pin having a chip in it. Some work with the Dremel fixed that. Also had to take some 1000 grit sand paper and a sharping stone and polish all the pivot and sear points to get the trigger down from 8 to 3lbs. IMG_20210118_232558956.jpg.1720dd402ea11c5b39738689e07ee2a0.jpg

Haven't been able to do a video but just messing around at 25yd got some good groups. Best so far was Remington 40gran thunderbolts on the left with winchester wildcat super speeds in the middle and winchester wildcat standards being the worst on the right.IMG_20210118_233059377.jpg.cd81c851d7d26b3213fd6b8994906b5b.jpg

Again this was kinda just messing around but think I'll stick with the thunderbolts or super speeds. Need to break out the chronograph and see which as the best SD

Might give it a new paint job might not, not sure yet ??

Edited by Wolfdog91
  • Like 2