Reworking my first .22lr

10 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Bore sight it with the rings one way then turn the rings around and see if it changes things. Had to do that a few times!

Is the base symmetrical? If so try turning it around.

Failing that is the forehand and forehand iron putting a side loading on the barrel?

Tired that trick and no luck. The base can really only be set one way with out me taking out the saw and trimming it so that's not an option either. And I'm not 100% sure what you mean on the last part. Other than the screw that connects the for arm to the barrel it's basically free floating.

The new scope and rings should be here tomorrow so hopefully that will solve it. 

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dug my old .22lr single shot out and decided I'd give it a new life as a target /pest rifle.  Doing a little video series on my progress    

I'm all for mid bore rifles and revolver calibers. They make excellent small game getters.

KimE here a can of what i like using Has worded on all my guns I've painted to far not sure if you can get it out there though

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Tired that trick and no luck. The base can really only be set one way with out me taking out the saw and trimming it so that's not an option either. And I'm not 100% sure what you mean on the last part. Other than the screw that connects the for arm to the barrel it's basically free floating.

The new scope and rings should be here tomorrow so hopefully that will solve it. 

If the the forearm fits easily  when assembled it's not putting any sideways thrust on the barrel...that's good. If how ever it takes some forcing it could be pushing the barrel to one side.?

It's a Mueller optics 4.5-14x40 AO Tactiacl.  30mm tube,nice basic,mil dot reticle,  it's second focal plane but ranges true at 10x. Has finger adjustable turrets (1/4"MOA) and are resetable with a flat head screw driver instead of a Allen key. Had to pay a extra $13 for the sun shade but I'm still under $200. It was $189.90 with the sunshade.

The AO is super nice and even at 10x at 15yd the reticle and target is super crisp. Gonna try to do a better review and ammo testing tomorrow

20201125_171500.jpg.1fb492a49869e365ebb723a2cf2fc81c.jpg

Had to try to zero it before sunset real quick. And after I got it zeros half decent made the group on the red dot with 10 pounds or wild cats. The 4 shots in the 8 rig where just the sighters lol.20201125_171353.jpg.f08e6ad8bdc0e92d0d6eb0cd0bcec15d.jpg

Gonna break out he chrony and three more types of ammo tomorrow and do some testing.

Scope does sit a little high so looking at building a small cheek riser

• Like 2
On 20/11/2020 at 06:56, Wolfdog91 said:

Beautiful! Had no idea bergara made a single shot

Same! I'd been toying with either a Thompson Center or a Ruger No1 but this has left me with more questions than answers! :laugh:

On 21/11/2020 at 08:02, KimE said:

Thanks. I probably cant find what brand of paint here. I dont know how easy it is to find scrap lead, i could try a scrap metal dealer.

We were sourcing scrap lead from tire dealers. Old wheel weights that they bin. Harder to get now with the ammo panic we're currently seeing. Still easier to get them from commercial tire dealers than standard auto. I don't reload (yet!) but our ammo guy appreciates the lead.

On 26/11/2020 at 00:07, Wolfdog91 said:

It's a Mueller optics 4.5-14x40 AO Tactiacl.  30mm tube,nice basic,mil dot reticle,  it's second focal plane but ranges true at 10x. Has finger adjustable turrets (1/4"MOA) and are resetable with a flat head screw driver instead of a Allen key. Had to pay a extra $13 for the sun shade but I'm still under $200. It was $189.90 with the sunshade.

The AO is super nice and even at 10x at 15yd the reticle and target is super crisp. Gonna try to do a better review and ammo testing tomorrow

20201125_171500.jpg.1fb492a49869e365ebb723a2cf2fc81c.jpg

Had to try to zero it before sunset real quick. And after I got it zeros half decent made the group on the red dot with 10 pounds or wild cats. The 4 shots in the 8 rig where just the sighters lol.20201125_171353.jpg.f08e6ad8bdc0e92d0d6eb0cd0bcec15d.jpg

Gonna break out he chrony and three more types of ammo tomorrow and do some testing.

Scope does sit a little high so looking at building a small cheek riser

Are you using Winchester wildcats wolfie? They’re dirt cheap so I thought they must be crap?

1 hour ago, Dervburner said:

Are you using Winchester wildcats wolfie? They’re dirt cheap so I thought they must be crap?

Lol ? yeah that group is with the wild cats. Been mainly using Rem thunderbolts because the local hardware store had then 500 for $20. But they had a  brick of wild cats here last time i went so I picked it up. So far seems my guns like them. And I have to say mabye my guns are weird because they generally don't shoot the more expensive stuff well at all. I bought some Ely Target match one time and Coulnt get a decent group to save my life. 

1 hour ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Lol ? yeah that group is with the wild cats. Been mainly using Rem thunderbolts because the local hardware store had then 500 for $20. But they had a  brick of wild cats here last time i went so I picked it up. So far seems my guns like them. And I have to say mabye my guns are weird because they generally don't shoot the more expensive stuff well at all. I bought some Ely Target match one time and Coulnt get a decent group to save my life. 

Yerr, I thought thunderbolts were sh1t as well ?

9 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Lol have you actually tried either ? Seriously though my guns just seem t to prefer them for some reason

I’ve tried thunderbolts years ago and I wasn’t impressed to be honest. I was more recently offered cyclones, which I believe to be a hollow point version of the thunderbolts. They were £2:25 /50 box if I remember correctly, and due to my previous experience with the thunderbolts, I declined. Maybe I should have tried a box at that price? I don’t really see any Remington rimfire ammo these days, don’t know if it’s still being imported. I’ve never tried Winchester wildcats, although I know where I can get some. I assumed that the performance would be reflected by the low price, but I’ve been wrong about that before. Federal classic hv he for one example.?