nz rabbit country

toolebox

9 hours ago, tinytiger said:

are youre dogs beagle crosses? great photos

Yes I  did at one stage I had 6 pure beagles but after a number of health issues I decided to move away from them to a beagle x Foxy (a type of terrier,much like the American Rat Terrier) of which I have 5 of different ages & a 4 strong litter of 2 week old pups.The sire is 50% beagle 50 % terrier as is the Dam .I usually like  to keep the ones that have  brindle  on the face cheeks  ,they can be started young and are very easy to train up .

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 2

Oh there are two packs of a total of 15 out at any one time ,day about however there  are always some that are on R& R ,that includes feeding pups or on heat, about apart from two really good dogs that tidy up and mistakes the up and comers make untill they have toned  their own skill set.Once they have can do the basics I will take them with one of the better dogs for a day so they are given a better chance to step up. Its a matter of showing them that they can do it ,one rabbit single handed is worth 25 in the company of others .Locally the rabbits never make their holes out in the open they are usually found down along banks or tree roots where they go about their business unseen.Under the cover of darkness they will sneak out  a short  distance into the fields to feed, one noise out of the normal has them on guard and bolting for cover.In central Otago the rabbits found there have a different set of habits.

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

524910243_018-Copy(6).JPG.f5ebc60b3f1307bad25e091f6327e245.JPGI tend to hunt a certain way ,perhaps its not for everybody but it suits myself and the dogs I run .When I go up to the golf course in central ,most of the day time rabbits I get are hiding either in holes,huge rock faces or in long grass where they can slip away hopefully undetected .No firearms can be used during daylight hours ,but under the cover of darkness I can use my pellet rifle .Alot of the dogs pictured are long gone ,but still fresh in my mind .

008 - Copy.JPG

• Like 2

I traveled a total of about 5 miles from my home today ,getting out early as the forecast was for a hot day.^  Total was 10 rabbits  ,all bushed and caught by the dogs for not much more than 3 hours .One rabbit had been reported sitting out from a short gullie of gorse and a huge heap of branches all from when the farmer cut down some huge trees.As soon as I arrived at this spot  the dogs had a chase happening.The rabbit shot up hill and then doubled back all under the cover ,then unseen it sneaked across a small paddock and under the neighbour's house .This is a small holding and one of only 4 houses on this 3 km road .I knew the owner well and asked if I could send the ferret under to shift bunny .I often get rabbits living or hiding under sheds or houses but one of the most interesting places I've had rabbits hiding in was 3 rabbits that lived under the farm dogs kennels .The farmer told me once the dogs saw him sneaking down armed with his shotgun ,the dogs would bark therefore warning the rabbits who wouldnt waste any time in getting back under the kennels .

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 2