Springer spaniel lines

13 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Saw a callus c**t send a springer out on ice on Bowood years ago for a pheasant .Ice cracked and dog was gone .Nobody seemed to give a shit .

Old shepp fell through the ice one year, Irish Sea I think it was, after being sent for a mute swan. He surfaced 2 hours later with the swan and wearing  that blue diamond necklace the old girl threw into the sea on the film titanic !!!!! 

Edited by jessdale
Spelling
  • Haha 4

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must have heard every story, regarding gundogs and terriers , there is over the years. I like the one, well several different versions, about old jack and his spaniel. Old jack was anywhere between

The thing is Wilf there aren’t that many GOOD ones around !! 95% of dogs on 95% of shoots are so poorly trained as to be of limited use to anyone 

these 4 do that and 3 or 4 days shooting 

Posted Images

‘Work all day’ is one of those things, unless you’ve seen exactly what they mean by it it’s not worth taking too literally imo.

Any spaniel that is all go for three hours in the morning and three hours in the afternoon on a sensible rough day where it’ll flush several dozen birds and pick maybe a dozen itself with a flight in the evening, in that shitty barely above freezing but soaking weather is as fit as I’ve ever seen. That weather breaks dogs.

On a day like that I’d expect to cover ten miles personally with the dog in and out of everything with not a lot of healing or walking between bits.

And I can admit right now I’ve broken my dog several times over the years, I’ve carried other dogs off and I’ve been thoroughly impressed by a few. I really don’t think a lot of dogs get pushed that hard though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

And if you really want to talk about work, look at the dog on the keepers bike in September before all the ‘dogmen’ have even started. That dog will be putting in ten miles everyday of the week dogging in.

these 4 do that and 3 or 4 days shooting 

WP_20151228_001_LI.jpg.896ac6df550499ffeb20f397e662e9f3.jpg

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Might seem an obvious question here B H, but if this fella wanted a spaniel to excel with woodcock, wouldn't a cocker spaniel, a breed specifically bred for woodcock, have been a better prospect?

And before you dismiss my question, I've seen a fair few cockers that are fairly big and strongly built.

Was over 35 years ago mind lol. I worked on two estates as a trainee keeper lol ?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Might seem an obvious question here B H, but if this fella wanted a spaniel to excel with woodcock, wouldn't a cocker spaniel, a breed specifically bred for woodcock, have been a better prospect?

And before you dismiss my question, I've seen a fair few cockers that are fairly big and strongly built.

Was over 35 years ago mind lol. I worked on two estates as a trainee keeper lol ?

I wouldn’t dismiss it it seems a fair question. Probably much more experienced folk than me to answer. I like a cocker personally. But to be perfectly honest a spaniel is a spaniel to me. I know folks will wax lyrical about the differences but other than size there ain’t a whole heap. Cockers these days are bred for the same job springers are.

Im a great lover of a heavy cocker. Something with a good head and jaw, paws like a bear and bone to match. I’m not a huge fan of the real racey little things or those leggy springers. Not that they can’t work just as well like, just what catches my eye. :thumbs:

CF81E106-5BF7-4D0D-8995-C6D8089EA44A.jpeg

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

The shite they have to go through all day. I’ve been in plenty of shoot in Scotland and a couple in England and none of them where anywhere like rough shooting in Ireland. Dogs have to hunt unforgiving cover over here for woodcock. It’s a lot of hunting for little return. On some days my gundogs can’t open their eyes as they are swollen near shut, their ears are cut to shreds and they can’t rest easy because the pain in their feet from thorns. I have only experienced this in Ireland. I worked my dogs more in UK. 
The grouse moods are hard on a bitches nipples.

No offence taken, this is what I’ve seen with my own two eyes. 

Fair one mate ?

3 minutes ago, WILF said:

I admire you lads that have the attitude and graft to own a good spaniel.....I couldn’t, too busy for me and I know we wouldn’t get on.

The thing is Wilf there aren’t that many GOOD ones around !! 95% of dogs on 95% of shoots are so poorly trained as to be of limited use to anyone 

• Like 5

This thing I like. First gen sprocker but the size of a big cocker. Real business like work style, not wappy, and runs on f***ing diesel I’m sure. Seen a half brother to it which threw more springer and was exactly the same and I’m crossing my fingers for another half sister very soon as it’ll likely be the last of that stuff and it’ll give me options for the future.

37639713-33B5-4639-BD4C-51A7A0359A20.jpeg

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, jessdale said:

I can believe that mate ?

7 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

This thing I like. First gen sprocker but the size of a big cocker. Real business like work style, not wappy, and runs on f***ing diesel I’m sure. Seen a half brother to it which threw more springer and was exactly the same and I’m crossing my fingers for another half sister very soon as it’ll likely be the last of that stuff and it’ll give me options for the future.

37639713-33B5-4639-BD4C-51A7A0359A20.jpeg

Did you get many vampires that day Van Helsing ? Lol ? 

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

I wouldn’t dismiss it it seems a fair question. Probably much more experienced folk than me to answer. I like a cocker personally. But to be perfectly honest a spaniel is a spaniel to me. I know folks will wax lyrical about the differences but other than size there ain’t a whole heap. Cockers these days are bred for the same job springers are.

Im a great lover of a heavy cocker. Something with a good head and jaw, paws like a bear and bone to match. I’m not a huge fan of the real racey little things or those leggy springers. Not that they can’t work just as well like, just what catches my eye. :thumbs:

Mad that really. My old man's ex neighbour used to own a really racy springer dog, about 19-20" tts, never worked, but I was busting to try him lol,  and an ex mate of mine used to own a racy cocker bitch of no more than about 14.5" tts lol.

Like you say though, to me, a spaniel is a spaniel. And as I get older, they are appealing to me more than a running dog, for work. ?

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

That your dog B H?