They go off the lay in the shorter days ,too short a day and a bit cold , have kept them all my life, i usually buy some ex battery birds and after they have moulted they get a new lease of life for a year loving the good life, then they end up as chicken curry!!

ex layers can usually be picked up for £1 each great layers for a couple of years, MOST important as someone else said is the layers pellets though! mine have only just slowed down in laying almost 11 months of laying egg a day!

as for table birds Ross cobs are ment to be great, once we get a bit of land again i plan to get a couple of dozen in well worth it.

In my experiance try and stear clear of the poultry auctions, We got stung several years back, - bought a couple of birds from an auction seemed fine and after a week put them in with the flock, all our other birds had been fine, then all of a sudden new birds were watery eyes and coughing - microplasma was then in our flock for the rest of the time we had them, knocking off a few birds every 6 months or so. :doh:

Have a look at meadow sweet birds on the net. they usually retail about £6 each but never had a problem with these at all :yes:

OH and if you are planning on getting enough for yourself not for selling, make sure you buy a couple extra Work friends, once they have tried you own eggs will be coming back for more! With Just 3 birds and selling half a dozen to a dozen a week at £1 dozen I more than cover my feed costs!

• 2 weeks later...

Some good advice coming through, though (if I'm allowed to differ), I would follow a different route.

It's been over 10 years now since I kept poultry. I kept Sebrights, Rosecombs, Polish, Pekins, Indian Game, etc, and ducks, geese, peafowl, quail and pheasants etc. I also kept a small flock of farmyard banties/bantams. My farmyard stock weren't as small as the Rosecombs etc, but not as large as the ex-cage hens either - somewhere inbetween. They were hardy, good clockers/mothers, and came in a multitude of different colours, some with topneys (feathered hats), and some without. Now if I were doing it again, I'd search out the local farming papers (there's usually a poultry section), or take a drive through the countryside and call at a few farms. I'm not so keen on the purebreds - I like a nice mix of colours, and they're easier to tell apart too. I'd get a nice coloured rooster, and 8 or 9 nice average sized banties. Does it really matter if they produce 5 eggs a week instead of 7. Eight banties producing 5 eggs a week still leaves you with 40 eggs a week, and although they're smaller eggs, they're packed with taste!

For me 'food conversion ratio' and egg production aren't everything - I like a traditional mixed flock that are pleasing to the eye, and definately a nice rooster to head the flock.

Just my thoughts,

Zek.