Ferreting Dog

I’m looking for a rabbiting dog in the not too distant future. Zero interest in anything bigger than a rabbit and mostly ferreting work. 

Want something that would have a decent bit of brains, ideally something i could train to a point to take out with gundogs and not chase everything that moves (taking them with it), maybe even pick up game a bit. 

Decent coated for the Scottish weather and the work is on pretty broken shitty ground so nothing fragile. 

I’m thinking along the lines of a half collie x grey/whip but not adverse to something else in there like a beddy, wheaten etc just not too much. Not too struck on bull in there much as I like the idea of them I don’t have that sort of work. 

New to lurchers so not sure where to start really.

Any thoughts on the cross and where to start looking!

cheers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It don’t have to be a half x to half cross it can be tweaked to the cross %  you think might suit your needs I’ve bred collie beddy Lurcher hybrids that’s what I keep use now they tick boxes for me an

we beddy whippet greyhound handy we ferreting dog 1/2 whippet

Taken by lifelong cumbrian

Posted Images

I’m quite looking forward to something a bit different to gun dogs!

We will often take a lab or a spaniel ferreting or mooching but a) I’d like something that will catch things itself b) I want a lurcher because I’ve always wanted one. 

Edited by Dan Newcombe

it depends on what sort of ground you will be working. do you require the dog to work thick cover, nettles, brambles etc? will it be working open ground where it can get a good run? size will play a big part. lurcher is a very loose description of many things, ?

.... depends if you were meant to be there or not ?

that looks the right sort of thing. What’s the breeding like?

I like the idea of decent amount of brains so not 100% sure if a lot of beddy would be as good as a collie for my use? 

not so much heavy cover and nettles but we do clearance in forestry plantings so often mounded, crap about the place. Not the sort of ground for a big dog to wind up to top speed, would need acceleration and turning ability. 

Edited by Dan Newcombe
3 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Why no go for a gundog x lurcher spainel x or lab x 

I’m planning to breed a lab cross (as in a previous thread) in the future to a dog lab bitch we have but that’s probably 4/5 years away. 

Beddy cross would tick a lot of boxes and I like the idea pretty perfectly. I’m just used to dogs that a ‘trainable’ and Don’t want something that is purely a dog that will chase everything. It will need to take a lesson and be pretty much steady when it’s not working - would that be possible?

21 minutes ago, Dan Newcombe said:

I’m planning to breed a lab cross (as in a previous thread) in the future to a dog lab bitch we have but that’s probably 4/5 years away. 

Beddy cross would tick a lot of boxes and I like the idea pretty perfectly. I’m just used to dogs that a ‘trainable’ and Don’t want something that is purely a dog that will chase everything. It will need to take a lesson and be pretty much steady when it’s not working - would that be possible?

What you mean trainable ha ha I’ve  worked lurchers on shoots for years there steadier than any springer 

• Haha 1

Sounds ideal LM. 

I know that the best laid plans and all that but I would ideally like to train it like I would a lab, steady and walk at heel or hunt about but not chase everything that moves (appreciate that might not be possible) until the time comes when ferreting or lamping. 

I work a lab for deer and put a harness on him when it’s tracking / tackling time so he associates the difference and being allowed to tackle a deer as opposed tk normally where that would be less than ideal. I thought I would try the same thing with a collar for a lurcher. collar on means best behaviour, collar off meant s fill your boots. Time will tell how successful that will be. 

So basically I am after a beddy cross or a collie and beddy cross not too big - where do I start looking, everything seems to be bull bred these days. 

Edited by Dan Newcombe