Bedlington Northumberland

7 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Odd few still do but getting scarce now, might go down the white dog route like others in wales have done , but not sure they take what what a beddy will . Atb

That’s upto you mate you know when you get the [BANNED TEXT] stuff and happy enjoy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit lighter note I was at Bedlington High school as a lad, had and worked a Bedlington named ranger and half Greyhound/Bedlington in my lamping days.  Any way the town has few these up now i pers

If I remember correctly, North Seaton used to run one bend. I had a dog back then, Blue Prince used to love running the bends. 21", 35 pound. Cheers.  

Brook is a Bedlington she strong bitch  PUD

Posted Images

Those types were often available "free to good home" around here at one time and I think many people missed a trick by not taking advantage of that. I had one myself of a very similar stamp/height/weight that cost me £10 as a young adult dog. He took the full spectrum of game. He wasn't a prolific catcher of stuff bigger than a rabbit as he was not targeted on them but caught most things that we came across. Better than many bigger lurchers that I've seen particularly taking into consideration that he was bred and initially only schooled in chasing an inanimate object being mechanically propelled around a track.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Those types were often available "free to good home" around here at one time and I think many people missed a trick by not taking advantage of that. I had one myself of a very similar stamp/height/weight that cost me £10 as a young adult dog. He took the full spectrum of game. He wasn't a prolific catcher of stuff bigger than a rabbit as he was not targeted on them but caught most things that we came across. Better than many bigger lurchers that I've seen particularly taking into consideration that he was bred and initially only schooled in chasing an inanimate object being mechanically propelled around a track.

Well, that dog certainly wasn't a "free to good home" .

He was purposely bred from the best available non-ped racing whippets at the time.

Like a lot of race whippets back then, he doubled up as a pot filler, taking rabbits, hares and the odd roe.

Most top class racing whippets can trace their lines back to these types of dogs.

Cheers.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Well, that dog certainly wasn't a "free to good home" .

He was purposely bred from the best available non-ped racing whippets at the time.

Like a lot of race whippets back then, he doubled up as a pot filler, taking rabbits, hares and the odd roe.

Most top class racing whippets can trace their lines back to these types of dogs.

Cheers.

Just my personal memories. There was a period, late 70's through to early 90's when men were kicking their heals with nothing better to do got themselves terriers or lurchers or racing dogs, even pigeons or big leeks and onions. People who had no real interest in or knowledge of these things that had once been valued and carefully bred. When they got bored or found work or the misses got involved everything was for sale or free to good home.

Edited by eastcoast
  • Like 1