nz rabbit hunters

The above boar didnt go down lightly .The light tan fella wasn't a big dog but he had a huge prey drive ,the pigs tusk entered just above the eye lid ,it looked very bad but the cloudy eye clear away within a couple of days and he was just as keen the very  next weekend .

P1000327.JPG

P1000328.JPG

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

,I have 100s of photos but time on this must be called  so lads hope you enjoyed my little tour.No matter where in the world we are to be found ,we all share the love of our dogs & sport what ever

For those of you that cant recall this is one of  two pups I bred & kept that had the condition of shakey puppy syndrome up until they were 11/12 weeks old .Carla i(greyhound x whippet )s now abou

Jett is a ruff coated working lurcher ,1/2 greyhound 1/4 wirehaired pointer ,1/4 lab .He's about a year old in that picture & now he's about 4 years old ,hes filled out nicely .He gives 120% every

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Do the government still have those hunters huts out in the bush ?

I stayed in them around 30 years ago, thought they were a great idea;

IMG_0001.JPG.80b895c5e0a52076d8a0cf88c69de891.JPG

Cheers.

STUPIDITY; has taken over in NZ no they do huge amounts of aerial drops of 1080 ,total madness , there are only less than a handful of DOC hunters mostly on goat work,most use goat dogs ....around and around we go learning nothing from the passed .

4 minutes ago, toolebox said:

STUPIDITY; has taken over in NZ no they do huge amounts of aerial drops of 1080 ,total madness , there are only less than a handful of DOC hunters mostly on goat work,most use goat dogs ....around and around we go learning nothing from the passed .

They still have the DoC cabins though don't they? The free to use backcountry cabins. I think that's what he meant?

The trapping and poisoning program DoC operates is immense. And as you point out very controversial.

DoC hut.jpg

5 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Yeah, born, it was the free to use cabins I meant.

It would be disappointing if they are no longer maintained.

I noticed one or two were being turned into sort of small museums for the hikers to see, but not to stay in, even back then.

Cheers.

If you go on google earth, pick a public land valley you'll see the DoC cabins signed. Technology! :laugh:

I expect hunters are about the only people that use most of them. Well outside of the national parks where all the tourists go.

Edited by Born Hunter
6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Yeah, born, it was the free to use cabins I meant.

It would be disappointing if they are no longer maintained.

I noticed one or two were being turned into sort of small museums for the hikers to see, but not to stay in, even back then.

Cheers.

The DOC huts are still going, we stayed in them in various places in both North and South Island. Mostly hunters and trampers use them i think. 

What a brilliant thread! I thought the same when I was there, everyone is obsessed about the big game animals but I reckon I could have a whale of a time hunting the small stuff. The Canterbury plains are a hare coursers dream and bushing possums and either catching them with dogs on the ground or treeing them and shooting with a .410 sounds very appealing too

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tyla said:

The DOC huts are still going, we stayed in them in various places in both North and South Island. Mostly hunters and trampers use them i think. 

What a brilliant thread! I thought the same when I was there, everyone is obsessed about the big game animals but I reckon I could have a whale of a time hunting the small stuff. The Canterbury plains are a hare coursers dream and bushing possums and either catching them with dogs on the ground or treeing them and shooting with a .410 sounds very appealing too

When we going ?

18 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

When we going ?

The huts are no longer free to use and only the ones on the most popular tracks are maintained ,alot have been removed .Doc is one of the if not the most hated government departments ,with its use of 1080 ,the bullshit & lies has to be seen by outsiders ,they  dont give a toss about the game animals & would rather shoot them & leave them to rotte on the mountain  as they are doing so atm with Thar. If I happen to stay in one of OUR huts ,paid for with tax payer funds I never buy a hut ticket but write on a piece of paper what I think of them also informing the reader I wont be paying twice ,however most overseas trampers are happy pay .They are always coming up with ideas on how they can charge us to use our own land ,the land that belongs to every Joe public .They show a total lack of respect to the hunters of Nz that effects hunters opinions of them & they wonder why ?They wont give a small game permit out because you are not allowed under their rules to use a .22 or shot gun on our land ,however there are hundreds and hundreds of private farmers who would welcome with open arms any person who wanted to kill some small animals of which they spend  thousands of dollars trying to control.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

@toolebox What's the breeding behind you pigdogs if you don't mind me asking?

The black & white bitch was a common cross used here ,bull/cattle (collie)greyhound & the wee tan dog was a bull /cattle  .The bull can be any of the following ,boxer ,bullterrier ,bullmastiff ,or pit bull ,they are all just referred to as  bull when they are included in the make up .I used to run really hard dogs  that would hard hold or die trying & over 40  odd years of pig hunting I only had half a dozen dogs killed.A dog that ripped the ball sack of a big boar was highly prized as it was always a good stopping dog on a run away boar and run they did because their life depended on it .The down hill speed of a boar in tight heavy country is unmatched ,once the had a good lead on the dogs he would sidle around the hill at a fast trot covering a good distance saving another down hill run if the country allowed and was needed.Most of the big boars were caught in the bottom of gullies where if given time they could kill a dog ,so once we arrived we quickly killed the pig by flipping it on its back &  knifing it in the throat . Most of the pictures were taken in better light at the top of the hill after some huge steep carries ,almost as a after thought . 

P1000318.JPG

Edited by toolebox
  • Thanks 1