nz rabbit hunters

For those of you that cant recall this is one of  two pups I bred & kept that had the condition of shakey puppy syndrome up until they were 11/12 weeks old .Carla i(greyhound x whippet )s now about 2-1/2 years old and a good keen worker.

carla.jpg

• Like 15

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

,I have 100s of photos but time on this must be called  so lads hope you enjoyed my little tour.No matter where in the world we are to be found ,we all share the love of our dogs & sport what ever

For those of you that cant recall this is one of  two pups I bred & kept that had the condition of shakey puppy syndrome up until they were 11/12 weeks old .Carla i(greyhound x whippet )s now abou

Jett is a ruff coated working lurcher ,1/2 greyhound 1/4 wirehaired pointer ,1/4 lab .He's about a year old in that picture & now he's about 4 years old ,hes filled out nicely .He gives 120% every

Posted Images

Jett is a ruff coated working lurcher ,1/2 greyhound 1/4 wirehaired pointer ,1/4 lab .He's about a year old in that picture & now he's about 4 years old ,hes filled out nicely .He gives 120% every day and has accounted for a huge number of rabbits and a good number of hares .

P1010043.JPG

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 14
10 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I reckon you have it made in NZ,cooler weather all year round and no snakes.I'd imagine it to be like OZ,most people going after pigs.

pigs or deer ,nobody is interested in small game apart from going out for a night shoot on the back of a truck driven by the farmer ,its like world war 3 and not my style .

• Like 3
5 hours ago, toolebox said:

Jett is a ruff coated working lurcher ,1/2 greyhound 1/4 wirehaired pointer ,1/4 lab .He's about a year old in that picture & now he's about 4 years old ,hes filled out nicely .He gives 120% every day and has accounted for a huge number of rabbits and a good number of hares .

P1010043.JPG

Nice ?? 

6 hours ago, Balaur said:

Any pics of landscape etc, nice looking dogs. Some neck on the grew , so are you professional bunny pest control?

Yes however I treat it as sport  & I hunt over 100,000 acres or 170 odd farms ,and after 20 odd years I know all the spots where rabbits hide out in yet I still manage to catch 1200/1400 in a good year.I simply don't view it as a job more like a hobbie I get paid for.I have a golf course up in central Otago I work once a month & because central otago is dry & warm it has a HUGE rabbit problem,there are thousands upon thousands of em ,I kid you not   .Off 108 has Ive accounted for over 3,000 in 2-1/2 years .The picture to the right is one of the many local spots that requires a visit a couple of times a year .The black dog Nig is the other greyhound x whippet ,full brother to carla.

IMG_2339.JPG

john fishing& rabitting 11.jpgc

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 11

The dogs chased a rabbit out of the woodlot as you guys call it into a wet underground tommo ,one I wasn't keen on entering so I just sent "snow" the ferret to tidy bunny up.Zac is a whippet JR mix .

johns fishing & rabitting 10.jpg

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 5
5 hours ago, toolebox said:

pigs or deer ,nobody is interested in small game apart from going out for a night shoot on the back of a truck driven by the farmer ,its like world war 3 and not my style .

Me neither,I did a bit of pig hunting when younger but always been more interested in small game with the whippets and terriers.I did like catching goats with a little pit bitch,she fed everyone, but not really hunting imo.

Nice weekend away in central ,enjoyed by all .The wee dog to the left is what we term a foxy (terrier mix),behind her is mocca, a wirehaired pointer /spaniel/terrier mix , to the right is a terrier /beagle/whippet mix part of a 20 year old line and the tan and white dog is one of the better all rounders I've had ,he's a JR x ESS.  

20201011_143238.jpg

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 01/11/2020 at 20:33, Aussie Whip said:

Me neither,I did a bit of pig hunting when younger but always been more interested in small game with the whippets and terriers.I did like catching goats with a little pit bitch,she fed everyone, but not really hunting imo.

I was a keen pig hunter but these days my legs have worn out & I now require a couple of new knees .Doc said its either pig hunting then a wheelchair or rabbiting & alot more time before the damn wheelchair lol so simply put pighunting don't pay the bills & with more time I may not make the chair lol . At times we carried huge boars for miles up and down steep ruff hills ,this fella weighted in at about 160 lbs .pictured at the end of a 3 hour carry of about a mile ,not far but in tight think country it was further than it damn sounds .....far further 

IMG_0098(1).JPG

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

Now here's the tricky part ,this is Sugar a whippet x bird dog mix .She along with Freddy ,mocca ,Bean (not pictured yet )all  came out of the same Dam called coffee .no I didn't name them either apart from Freddy.

20200718_131216.jpg

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 5

First time I was down there, I was walking the mile or so from Tokaroa to my family's house around dusk and the fields were crawling with rabbits.

I said I'd be sneaking over the fence that night if I had a dog and a lamp with me, my niece said no need to be sneaking about, just ask the farmer, he'd be glad for you to kill all the rabbits you wanted !

Bit different to here !

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

First time I was down there, I was walking the mile or so from Tokaroa to my family's house around dusk and the fields were crawling with rabbits.

I said I'd be sneaking over the fence that night if I had a dog and a lamp with me, my niece said no need to be sneaking about, just ask the farmer, he'd be glad for you to kill all the rabbits you wanted !

Bit different to here !

Cheers.

You would be held prisoner in a bed room along with the farmers twin 25 year old daughters and allowed only to go out chasing rabbits and down to the local watering hole (pub) where you would never pay for a single drink  for years . 

• Haha 8