Get a greyhound pup from right breeding and I don't think you be disappointed . Folk saying greyhound no good lol they the main part of any lurcher and bring a hell of a lot more than speed to the mix ,pre ban my brother had two brindle bitches that took most stuff and demons on fox and proper pot fillers . 

• Like 7

Not the perfect breed of dog to do the work allowed now in the UK and never were, apart from the jobs that they were developed for. But will hunt, run and catch anything and are very nice animals to own. Depends on how much you need to catch and how often.

• Like 4

I brought a pure grey up as a lurcher,gave 100% on any game here,good guard dog and gentle at home.His feet let him down after ever hunt on the rough ground here to the point of it being cruel.I rehomed him as a pet.Too clumsy for rabbits but didn't lack heart on bigger animals.I think they are better in a mix for hunting.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I brought a pure grey up as a lurcher,gave 100% on any game here,good guard dog and gentle at home.His feet let him down after ever hunt on the rough ground here to the point of it being cruel.I rehomed him as a pet.Too clumsy for rabbits but didn't lack heart on bigger animals.I think they are better in a mix for hunting.

Yes they better to put in a lurcher but they bring more than speed to lurcher breeding and if I was starting from scratch I'd put as much effort finding the right greyhound bitch as I would the collie /terrier etc  

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

ive got one from 12 weeks now 9 months , yes a bit dim around the house , loving bitch though , had her watching rabbits in the beam from 6 months with no slips , now I ve had her lamping on the odd occasions the lamp I used beam a bit tight to be honest but shes had 5 bunnies to date , my fault her reteieving s not brill I admit that but the moons showing so ill be getting her jumping and retrieving  brought on a little ,but again shes only a pup still so im not fussed on her progress yet , 26 to the withers and turns well on the bunnies so im happy

• Like 3

I don’t think modern day greyhounds are constructed well for work an lack brain power there all out speed machines that break easy. I know a few people that had the romantic idea of working a straight greyhound none ended well

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, gibbo1973 said:

we don't have vast amounts of game here to break her my plan is to get her working and breed a 1st x deer grey as I had one and they are hard to com by so hoping working stock to working stock may pick this breed up a bit  

Tbh mate there’s been people on that train along while now none successful in breeding anything of any use that can be worked regularly that’s not limited because of size there’s far better dogs out there in this day an age for big gear if that’s ya thing a saluki greyhound x bull greyhound would take some beating I still believe this cross is pretty much the automate lamping dog of choice for it it moves then so on 

On 29/10/2020 at 00:51, bbower_s said:

What do people reckon to a pure greyhound brought on from a pup ?

? Well, the pure bred obviously ain't ideal for  roustabout 'lurcher work', or we would see a lot more of them, out and about...

In saying that ?.......I did have a pup one time, and she really was a smashing wee thing..

She came to me off a 'Flapping Track'  Dam, at six weeks of age, and as I was out of work at the time, we went everywhere together...

We killed loads of hares, ...and she mowed Roe deer down, like they were standing still?

Never had any rabbits at that time,...very few around locally and I had no interest in walking miles, for little reward.

Wee Tina was a beautiful creature,....but, her shimmering jet black coat bore the marks of  the wire,...she never quite mastered the art of slowing down...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 13
25 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Enter a formula one car into a Raleigh race.......

You see a fuuckload of galgos here that have been torn up. There's at least 30 in my barrio/area alone. Four or five have the same injury, a dirty great tear on the rear thigh muscle. That's gotta be a turning injury.

Anything that hits top speed with tunnel vision and obstacles about, is gonna come a cropper.

8 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

? Well, the pure bred obviously ain't ideal for  roustabout 'lurcher work', or we would see a lot more of them, out and about...

In saying that ?.......I did have a pup one time, and she really was a smashing wee thing..

She came to me off a 'Flapping Track'  Dam, at six weeks of age, and as I was out of work at the time, we went everywhere together...

We killed loads of hares, ...and she mowed Roe deer down, like they were standing still?

Never had any rabbits at that time,...very few around locally and I had no interest in walking miles, for little reward.

Wee Tina was a beautiful creature,....but, her shimmering jet black coat bore the marks of  the wire,...she never quite mastered the art of slowing down...?

File0099 (1).jpg

I remember reading about some of your exploits phil ?

• Haha 1