Jump to content

Toe removal


Recommended Posts

Anybody had much experience with having to get a toe of a dog? I’ve got a young dog about a year old, had broke a toe at a really early age, it healed  over and never gave him much bother. Now that He’s seeing a few nights out it’s giving him a lot of bother after a few runs. Done the usual rest, meticam etc. Not wanting to get it off but it’s going to b an ongoing thing I will. Many lads done it? How did the dog run after? How long did it take to get back running after getting it off? 

Link to post

4 minutes ago, Jude said:

Anybody had much experience with having to get a toe of a dog? I’ve got a young dog about a year old, had broke a toe at a really early age, it healed  over and never gave him much bother. Now that He’s seeing a few nights out it’s giving him a lot of bother after a few runs. Done the usual rest, meticam etc. Not wanting to get it off but it’s going to b an ongoing thing I will. Many lads done it? How did the dog run after? How long did it take to get back running after getting it off? 

I had a bitch that kept having a recurring toe injury she spent more time out of action in than in action her first season I got the original toe right I was advised being a young dog is should be fine 6 weeks rest I was told by the vet kept her on a lead for 8 weeks then run her bang done it again see the bone man he said give her 12weeks he said it was only half healed the first time they didn’t tell you long enough he said the same shouldn’t need to come off as she was a young dog he said if you’d bought me a 3-4yrs old id of said wip it off long story short that toe healed fine but did have problems with other toes getting nocked out it was on going tbh I had enough the dog was a pretty good catcher of rabbits but all the time she’d missed out think nocked her confidence an valuable time learning what I wanted her for she missed out on she wasn’t cutting the mustard in the end I put her in a pet home with a family member an got a dog with more base boos bred less likely to break 

Link to post
54 minutes ago, Jude said:

Anybody had much experience with having to get a toe of a dog? I’ve got a young dog about a year old, had broke a toe at a really early age, it healed  over and never gave him much bother. Now that He’s seeing a few nights out it’s giving him a lot of bother after a few runs. Done the usual rest, meticam etc. Not wanting to get it off but it’s going to b an ongoing thing I will. Many lads done it? How did the dog run after? How long did it take to get back running after getting it off? 

Had a toe off a dog no further problems at all

Link to post
40 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

Nows the best time to have removed if the dogs still that young it can adjust if it needs too, i believe the middle toe removes don’t bother a dog but it can sometimes make a slight difference if it’s a outer or inner toe.

Thats what I were told

  • Like 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, Black neck said:

Had a toe off a dog no further problems at all

 

1 hour ago, trigger2 said:

Nows the best time to have removed if the dogs still that young it can adjust if it needs too, i believe the middle toe removes don’t bother a dog but it can sometimes make a slight difference if it’s a outer or inner toe.

 

27 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Thats what I were told

Had a bitch about 15 years ago, had the inner toe off her left front leg at 12 moths old. Apart from my whippets, probably the most agile running dog I've had. Didn't slow her down or affect her turning etc one bit, once it had healed.

Link to post

I reckon I will end up getting it off, usually only see him limping on it when he first gets up or after a session, gave him half a dozen runs last night after a good lay off, never effected him at all when running just was up on it by time i got back to the van. Anybody know how long recovery time is once you get it off? 

Link to post
7 hours ago, Jude said:

I reckon I will end up getting it off, usually only see him limping on it when he first gets up or after a session, gave him half a dozen runs last night after a good lay off, never effected him at all when running just was up on it by time i got back to the van. Anybody know how long recovery time is once you get it off? 

Not very long in the grand scheme o things ud have him back running this season 

  • Like 1
Link to post

I hope there would be no need unless the toe is knocked up and dislocated so severely that the soft tissues won't heal. Had this on a bitch in early 80s, toe was stuck up out of line with the foot, vet took middle toe off, although she was "sound" from a pet point of view it took the edge off her ability on hares so it wasnt a miracle cure. If the foot looks normal but the dog is not happy turning or obviously limping after a few runs I would give them 12 weeks on lead only. It's hard for you and the dog but too little time for recovery and you'll be in a cycle of sound / lame / sound / lame. I've been there and wasted more time than if I'd had the self control to stick with the plan in the first place😅

Link to post

One of mine had to have a toe off Front foot ( would be middle finger on a hand) gave her a long time off only lead walking to recover had another 1 &1/2 seasons out of her then had to retire her as nxt toe kept dislocating. Was gutted. If you do get toe removed get nail on nxt toe removed aswell to reduce pressure on it when running. Hope all goes well bud. Atb 

  • Like 1
Link to post

My dog just had a toe removed from his front 

foot he put it out of place and vets wouldn’t do anything until swelling was down 3 weeks and about 20 phone calls and 4 visits later said it was to late it had already set it’s self then they even tried to blame me for not taking him until I told them to check there records they said £1400 for the opp not a chance my second choice vets( now first ) who take of my ferrets done it for £425 that included a teeth cleaned and polished 

E8FF3CF9-27C8-4ADC-89FB-9100379F8F06.jpeg

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...