Knife sharpening

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Tried it all over the years, Lansky is best of them all but still shite if you think about all the effort, I grew up an an age where everybody was stabbing everybody an nobody sharpened there knifes ? lie iv said I don’t cut paper or shave my arms ? an never had a moment where I thought, fcuk this knife is sharp but not quite razor sharp ? if it works for you then it works but the wee grinder an cheap knifes are way forward??

That’s the mad bit the better quality the blade the harder they are to sharpen, you can get an opinal like a razor blade with a bit of wet thermalight block but it don’t last as long were as my swede is a basted to put a good edge on but lasts ages ??

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a few knifes in the drawer the same as most of us. But use the Opinel Carbon think it a No6 the stainless ones just don't hold the edge, they will rust if you leave them wet mind. I must have l

Same as wilf, it’s handy to have with you, no good popping home for a sharpen halfway through, on the down side they do take off quite a bit of metal and leave a bit of a course edge, if I,m doing it

Right, I've been through the same as you and what you've probably done is use the knife until it's virtually blunt and then tried a stone or whatever for hours on end and got nowhere other than frustr

Posted Images

4 hours ago, jigsaw said:

i thought if i were to buy a water stone id be paying a lot for one, is 3.99 the actual price of the stone? thats for nothing,should i be looking for a grit size on it? im going to give this the last hurrah,if i buy a wet stone and i still make a balls of it im giving up lol

Sorry I dont know about grit size but the pic was to show its only the slight angle to put blade on I have always found it easier to hold the stone and do it but I think that's just because we used to just stone them standing in the abattoir but id only need to stone every couple of days and flick it on steel regularly but the angle on the steel is just as important 

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Why you wanna cut paper ? use scissors for that? I use cheap knifes an sharpen them with a small belt grinder at work, don’t even know the gritt of the paper as it’s already on there, never had a knife that wouldn’t cut or gut an it takes seconds it’s sharpen, an when blade is old an tatty but a new ones either a mora clipper or a opinel no 7 ? too much time on your hands mate ?

No class with them cheap shitty things don lol... I hate them opinel, I've got lots of decent knives, I just lack the skill to edge em 

7 hours ago, WILF said:

I don’t like folding knives for hunting work, I think they are dangerous.

If you are having to get in amongst a struggling beast you want fixed blade.

For stationary work, skinning etc a folder will do fine imho but for anything else fixed blade with a decent sheath is the way forward.

Fckin hell listen to rambo ?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

4jxr8a.jpg

Oh dear......oh dear oh dear oh dear......massive Rambo fail there I’m afraid old chap ! 
There is only one Rambo film for the Rambo conisuer and that is the original film.

The picture you have put up there is clearly from the second or third instalment......no mate, no, no, no, no, no

Please leave the room and consider your very inappropriate Rambo craic ! 

• Haha 2
54 minutes ago, WILF said:

Oh dear......oh dear oh dear oh dear......massive Rambo fail there I’m afraid old chap ! 
There is only one Rambo film for the Rambo conisuer and that is the original film.

The picture you have put up there is clearly from the second or third instalment......no mate, no, no, no, no, no

Please leave the room and consider your very inappropriate Rambo craic ! 

First Blood in my top five films of all time, There are no friendly citizens and the music class,  my Mrs hates it I’ve watched it over 30 times ?anyway back to the knife sharpening 

• Like 1

Oil stone to sharpen. Steel to keep sharp. 

If you can't use them then buy a cheap knife and one of those pull through sharpening efforts so you have a usable knife without ruining something of quality. 

• Like 1

I use lansky croc sticks , the grey and white ones . They come in a wooden box that have a couple of different preset angles for the sticks to go in but I don’t use that I just do it freehand and just hold the one of the sticks in my hand . It’s not hard to get them shaving sharp in a minute or two with them . 

12 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Well they even less classier then my shitty opinel ain’t they if they blunt as a stick ?get a belt grinder an use the fcuking things for what they intended , how long you planning on living to use a few knifes ? or buy Stanley’s ? 

it’s seriously a time thing for me, not summat I enjoy so can’t be assed getting that finished edge, no matter what way you try it will take a lot of effort an a little know how.  I’ll take easy way anydays?

Same here mate, I had a cracking knife given to me..o gifted some antler and was made a very nice knife for it, I've only got the sheath left now, the knife is somewhere in a field after a little roll around..lol.

Cheap knives that you dont mind losing for me...I'm.a heathen also...lol