Knife sharpening

Anyone use these for sharpening the hunting knives, I've been given a good oil stone, from a carpenter, I've a pro Steele from a butcher, I used a leather strip from an old belt, used toothpaste as a compound rub to strop and can I get my knives sharp??.... Can I fuk..... I've watched numerous YouTube vids and tried to learn from them but I get them reasonably sharp but not so good you'd slice paper with it So I'm going down the easy route and hoping to buy one of them yokes above... Any thoughts? 

Screenshot_20201022_200313_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a few knifes in the drawer the same as most of us. But use the Opinel Carbon think it a No6 the stainless ones just don't hold the edge, they will rust if you leave them wet mind. I must have l

Same as wilf, it’s handy to have with you, no good popping home for a sharpen halfway through, on the down side they do take off quite a bit of metal and leave a bit of a course edge, if I,m doing it

Right, I've been through the same as you and what you've probably done is use the knife until it's virtually blunt and then tried a stone or whatever for hours on end and got nowhere other than frustr

Posted Images

I only ever used cheap Mora Frost knives and always used a blade tech sharpener......not fancy but it’s quick, it’s easy and it does the job.

Plus you can put an edge on things when you are just out and about, takes 30 seconds.
I still use mine for my kitchen knives and I have had it about 10 years.

But as has been said, depends how flash your knife is and what you want really mate 

• Like 1

Same as wilf, it’s handy to have with you, no good popping home for a sharpen halfway through, on the down side they do take off quite a bit of metal and leave a bit of a course edge, if I,m doing it at home I will run it over a stone or give it a spin on the belt sander with a blunt belt on just to give it a nicer finish after a couple of pulls through the blade tech 

0F5EC87F-1E52-46DC-8015-7208C64EC1DB.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Balaur said:

I wouldn't use a v sharpener, make sure they're decent steel, the water stones are better than oil I think, and I find those lansky sets good. I've not used a strop not used toothpaste either mind . Correct angle is key really any pics of blades? Get an opinel if you can't get that sharp pay someone else to sharpen them lol, but bare in mind butchers throw knives away and some are brutal with grinder they also sharpen with a view to whipping blade up a steel every few minutes, so I wouldn't get them to sharpen something decent

Balaur, thanks for replying, i wouldnt have an opinel ,i had one and gave it away ,i dont like the look of them tbh, im determined i will learn how to do this ,but i havent accomplished it yet lol...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, king said:

This sounds a brilliant bit of kit jigsaw.

king id have to get that made,ive no skills (cant even sharpen a knife lol) with tools other than painting ,i deffo need something easy to use 

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Balaur, thanks for replying, i wouldnt have an opinel ,i had one and gave it away ,i dont like the look of them tbh, im determined i will learn how to do this ,but i havent accomplished it yet lol...

I don’t like folding knives for hunting work, I think they are dangerous.

If you are having to get in amongst a struggling beast you want fixed blade.

For stationary work, skinning etc a folder will do fine imho but for anything else fixed blade with a decent sheath is the way forward.

• Like 1

A common mistake when sharpening knives is to sharpen  both sides of the blade at the same ANGLE this is incorrect !  i do mine around  30degrees  left and 20 degrees right i am Left handed and a Right handed person would reverse it ......this is a approximate  measurement that works for me .

• Like 1

I use water stone with just a bit of liquid soap on and water put knife on just an angle just enough not to see light under and rub from tip to handle slow and smooth same amount of times both sides no need to use rough side of stone unless has dints in blade then steel on similar angle from handle to tip doing both sides at same time about 10 times be bang on.if you get angles wrong stoning takes blade off.how we was taught when I worked as a slaughter man

Screenshot_20201026-121952_Google.jpg

Edited by Councilestatekid
47 minutes ago, WILF said:

I don’t like folding knives for hunting work, I think they are dangerous.

If you are having to get in amongst a struggling beast you want fixed blade.

For stationary work, skinning etc a folder will do fine imho but for anything else fixed blade with a decent sheath is the way forward.

yeah wilf,ive loads of fixed blades,ive a few nice folders too,but i fail to sharpen either to a high standard,i got one off Socks thats a favourite of mine,and i can sharpen that reasonably well...

47 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Iv got a little mustad one, stays in the bag which lives in the car. Also has a hook sharpener

https://www.google.com/search?q=mustad+knife+sharpener&sxsrf=ALeKk02ukaMAvIh-B7hLzniHkHdyzc0OAw:1603716762599&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=fgetH-BnSMJ6vM%2CPEhtPoh41vsO9M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSka1KBcGAckgxsi8u4otDIvy7NPw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0wtG_ptLsAhUUVBUIHY0aDZYQ9QF6BAgNECk#imgrc=fgetH-BnSMJ6vM

if its one of these i have one too,doesnt seem to put a great edge on though 

37 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

I use water stone with just a bit of liquid soap on and water put knife on just an angle just enough not to see light under and rub from tip to handle slow and smooth same amount of times both sides no need to use rough side of stone unless has dints in blade then steel on similar angle from handle to tip doing both sides at same time about 10 times be bang on.if you get angles wrong stoning takes blade off.how we was taught when I worked as a slaughter man

Screenshot_20201026-121952_Google.jpg

i thought if i were to buy a water stone id be paying a lot for one, is 3.99 the actual price of the stone? thats for nothing,should i be looking for a grit size on it? im going to give this the last hurrah,if i buy a wet stone and i still make a balls of it im giving up lol