Shooting ducks with an air rifle.

Last year two lads my way have been prosecuted for shooting a duck with an air rifle. And they had permission to be on the land for rabbits etc. 

Judge ordered the air rifle to be seized and destroyed and the two lads fined. 

Best not to eh. You never know who might spot you. And an air rifle isn't the gun to use. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, pianoman said:

Last year two lads my way have been prosecuted for shooting a duck with an air rifle. And they had permission to be on the land for rabbits etc. 

Judge ordered the air rifle to be seized and destroyed and the two lads fined. 

Best not to eh. You never know who might spot you. And an air rifle isn't the gun to use. 

Yea I won't bother pianoman to much bother and all though a correctly placed head shot would do the job it isn't ideal.

I will stick to the squirrels etc..

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Just out of curiosity is puntgunning still allowed in the UK were large numbers of sitting ducks would be bladderd with one shot wile sitting on the water.

NO, it doesn't look like it. Here is a link to a debate in parliment about lead shot regs.  I did start to read it and the content was quite sensible but it got to deep for me.  No wonder they fall asleep in there.  Anyway fill the blighter up with pea beach stones. Roofing felt nails or similar crap.  If the lump of scaffold tube barrel wears out just cut a new scaffold tube up and re Barrel. I dont know if you could use galvanized steel shot.?f

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/lords/1999/nov/09/environmental-protection-restriction-on

4 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

In my opinion wild duck is one of the greatest sporting birds. It would seem entirely wrong to shoot them in the same way we control pests. 

I totally agree Ben,

Duck like geese have a thick down that can take some getting through even using a shotgun or perhaps I am just a bad shot ?.  duck are one of the fastest flying birds and as Ben said deserve more respect and should be treated as the great sporting bird they are.

Phil

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, philpot said:

I totally agree Ben,

Duck like geese have a thick down that can take some getting through even using a shotgun or perhaps I am just a bad shot ?.  duck are one of the fastest flying birds and as Ben said deserve more respect and should be treated as the great sporting bird they are.

Phil

Absolutely ??

On 27/10/2020 at 13:39, Meece said:

NO, it doesn't look like it. Here is a link to a debate in parliment about lead shot regs.  I did start to read it and the content was quite sensible but it got to deep for me.  No wonder they fall asleep in there.  Anyway fill the blighter up with pea beach stones. Roofing felt nails or similar crap.  If the lump of scaffold tube barrel wears out just cut a new scaffold tube up and re Barrel. I dont know if you could use galvanized steel shot.?f

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/lords/1999/nov/09/environmental-protection-restriction-on

i'm pretty sure that punt gunning is still legal,i don't think it should be but just my opinion:good:

6 hours ago, paddyluke said:

i'm pretty sure that punt gunning is still legal,i don't think it should be but just my opinion:good:

It could be legal because the gun is not a shoulder weapon and the boat has to be pointed.  But if the ban is tied in to lead shot positioning to duck, what is the difference of where it came from. The lead shot is the same ( apart from shot size  ) out of a 12 bore or a 2 bore.

King the duck murderer. ???

Edited by Meece