Small and Mighty

49 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

I think gundogs aren’t used enough in the lurcher world , brings some much to the table ?

Amazes me how everyone is collie and bedlington lurcher mad.....not that there is anything wrong with them, but for daytime mooching the springer in  there brings so much to the table.....no doubt they wouldn’t be for everyone. From a very young age mine showed a difference in her approach in the field to other lurchers and breeds I’ve worked. Don’t get me wrong she’s the only springer lurcher I’ve worked and maybe I just got lucky, but I went down this route for a reason. Most lurchers I’ve worked don’t hunt well enough for my liking, used to see old grannies walking pet springers that would hunt my worked lurchers inside out.....that’s why I wanted springer in there. Problem is you rarely see them advertised, mine was a mistake mating. If someone’s ferreting or lamping all the time, yes you’ll find a better lurcher for the job, but for daytime mooching dog....mine will take some beating.

• Like 2

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bigish terrier small lurcher lol

A tad under 23". Beddy/Grey x Deer/Grey-Whippet/Grey. Had her put down at 15 year old a while back A decent bitch at most things. Cheers.    

21tts, had a good long working life.  Very versitile dog caught all sorts with him. Always seemed to punch above his weight..  Don't get me wrong little dogs have there limitations compared

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

Amazes me how everyone is collie and bedlington lurcher mad.....not that there is anything wrong with them, but for daytime mooching the springer in  there brings so much to the table.....no doubt they wouldn’t be for everyone. From a very young age mine showed a difference in her approach in the field to other lurchers and breeds I’ve worked. Don’t get me wrong she’s the only springer lurcher I’ve worked and maybe I just got lucky, but I went down this route for a reason. Most lurchers I’ve worked don’t hunt well enough for my liking, used to see old grannies walking pet springers that would hunt my worked lurchers inside out.....that’s why I wanted springer in there. Problem is you rarely see them advertised, mine was a mistake mating. If someone’s ferreting or lamping all the time, yes you’ll find a better lurcher for the job, but for daytime mooching dog....mine will take some beating.

Totally agree with you , hence Iv got a gwpx and probably stick to them for what I do I need the bigger rangy lurcher , she checks every inch of mountain I’m on I can’t fault them 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

I’ve been around shoots since I was 10 never owned a gunfight but if I did it be a working cocker , to me I find springers to erratic and work a bit to quick , I’ve walked a hedge many times after them and flushed birds they av missed  , not to say you ain’t got a good un there always exeptions ,

1 minute ago, Loton Moocher said:

I’ve been around shoots since I was 10 never owned a gunfight but if I did it be a working cocker , to me I find springers to erratic and work a bit to quick , I’ve walked a hedge many times after them and flushed birds they av missed  , not to say you ain’t got a good un there always exeptions ,

Gun dog lol

11 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

One thing I’ve learnt is a hell of a lot of all types of working dogs are decidedly average. 

5 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

As long as they what the owner wants from them that’s all that matters really watever cross they are

Exactly that a lot people are more worried what’s in everyone else kennels when they should look at there own 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

As long as they what the owner wants from them that’s all that matters really watever cross they are

Sure. But what I meant was, I’ve been on a lot of shoots to, and see a lot of spaniels that’s we’re hunting no better than most other breeds of dog. But I’ve been lucky to see some top flight spaniels and they have been a thing to behold. 

Same with collies, most dogs I see are pretty average but you don’t notice so much until you see a good one! 

5 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Sure. But what I meant was, I’ve been on a lot of shoots to, and see a lot of spaniels that’s we’re hunting no better than most other breeds of dog. But I’ve been lucky to see some top flight spaniels and they have been a thing to behold. 

Same with collies, most dogs I see are pretty average but you don’t notice so much until you see a good one! 

You don’t need nowt special to work on shoots just something that’s obedient,I’ve always used Lurchers to me if it’s not broke there’s no need to fix it .

Just say your going to breed your collie already sheepchaser ??an be done with it no fancy drum rolls or speeches about most dogs are average you wanna breed your self something get it done pal you know it makes sense for your needs 

20 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

You don’t need nowt special to work on shoots just something that’s obedient,I’ve always used Lurchers to me if it’s not broke there’s no need to fix it .

That’s it mate. I just take my old collie. But my old man is a spaniel man and a good one at that, and watching his dogs work a piece of cover is a pleasure and there’s nothing that gets left behind. 

1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

That’s it mate. I just take my old collie. But my old man is a spaniel man and a good one at that, and watching his dogs work a piece of cover is a pleasure and there’s nothing that gets left behind. 

Why not use one of his spaniels then sorted

16 minutes ago, poxon said:

Just say your going to breed your collie already sheepchaser ??an be done with it no fancy drum rolls or speeches about most dogs are average you wanna breed your self something get it done pal you know it makes sense for your needs 

Haha. Maybe one day mate. But in all honesty I’m not a fan of collie blooded dogs.

With regard to my comment re average dogs. It wasn’t a knock at anyone. I currently have four collies, only one is special. The others, including the one I’d breed lurcher from if I did are varying levels of average. And sadly with the lurchers to, I now find myself in possession of only average dogs. 

Current hopes are pinned on a couple of pups! 

image.jpg

• Like 1