Small and Mighty

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bigish terrier small lurcher lol

A tad under 23". Beddy/Grey x Deer/Grey-Whippet/Grey. Had her put down at 15 year old a while back A decent bitch at most things. Cheers.    

21tts, had a good long working life.  Very versitile dog caught all sorts with him. Always seemed to punch above his weight..  Don't get me wrong little dogs have there limitations compared

Posted Images

15 hours ago, shaaark said:

Again, same here mate. All the purebred whippets I've owned, were never shy of any cover, and would carry on, and catch, almost every rabbit that hit dense brambles to escape.

Many people disregard the whippet as being 'not tough enough' or whatever. Completely wrong view ?

Iv had lurchers since I was 14 all sorts of crosses I got out of Hmp in 2003 travelled to wales for a terrier an the old guy gifted me a blue whippet pup out of Mike browns stuff that little dog really opened my eyes to whippets and what they are capable of prey drive in him was immense also my mrs had a first x pat whippet bitch was as mad as a box of frogs but great nose on her an loved cover maybe something like that would suit 

• Like 3
On 24/10/2020 at 21:46, SheepChaser said:

Does anyone keep any little low key runners which they knock about in the day, that punch above their weight? The kind of little dogs that surprise folk but look pretty under the radar. Under 23” kind of stuff, that’s capable of a bit more than a days ferreting. 

My working springer x lurcher bitch doesn’t raise any eyebrows and is the most skilled daytime hunting lurcher I’ve worked. Shes a pleasure to watch, she has real field craft. Would knock the socks off most daytime hunting lurchers.

She makes my bed/ whip x col whip grey look lazy.

IMG_5633.jpeg.d7e817ab06976f67f1f923e68466ec88.jpeg

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 6
18 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Classiest ballsiest small catch dog I ever owned or saw was a 21 inch whippet bitch I had off a pal for a few seasons whilst waiting for a pup to be bred, she often punched above her weight an was a joy to have around, put me off a havin another as no chance it be same ?

Get anther one katch, just don't compare them. I've owned a few pure whippets, and they all been great ?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

We was out last nights with kelpiex an my lad was nosing about at the land asking if a whippet would survive on em, an was real surprised when I was telling him about the whippet bitch on that same ground, think I planted a seed there ffs, wait till he mentions it to the missus ???

?

Best runner I’ve ever seen was a 22/23” bull grey bitch not heavy not to light small little head an looked like it couldn’t do a days ferreting , the bitch would kill anything, and I don’t mean swing it round for 15 minutes till it died of boredom She could do anything you could lamp and then do a day with the terriers and could show up big heavy types , she was lined and did produce similar to her self and one bitch pup came out same size and same working abilities think she was barren 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

My working springer x lurcher bitch doesn’t raise any eyebrows and is the most skilled daytime hunting lurcher I’ve worked. Shes a pleasure to watch, she has real field craft. Would knock the socks off most daytime hunting lurchers.

What’s in the Lurcher side of her breeding shortstraw? 

4 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

I think gundogs aren’t used enough in the lurcher world , brings some much to the table ?

• Like 4
2 hours ago, white van man said:

What’s in the Lurcher side of her breeding shortstraw? 

It was a game keepers springer bitch and his old old lurcher.....they were advertised as springer x greyhound, but having seen the sire...it wasn’t a greyhound, a gangly brindle short haired lurcher......you couldn’t guess what was in there, probably a bit of everything.....and im usually pretty good at having a guess.

She turned out very well and hunts naturally....she gets better every day and her memory is amazing.

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 1