Ancestory ww2 records help

Bit of a query here does any of you fine gentlemen know how I can get my great grandfathers war records he was in ww2 and was a para and that's all i know. Is there any way i can get access to more info? Any help would be really appreciated , I have ancestory.com but find it hard to use.

Kind regards folks

Carp

3 minutes ago, carp king said:

Bit of a query here does any of you fine gentlemen know how I can get my great grandfathers war records he was in ww2 and was a para and that's all i know. Is there any way i can get access to more info? Any help would be really appreciated , I have ancestory.com but find it hard to use.

Kind regards folks

Carp

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

No mate I've just messaged my grandad to see if he has any more info will message him and ask if he has rank and number also...off the top of my head he died in 1968...just looked on the government link above and

going to send his death and birth certificates with the forms if my grandad still has them.

Thanks sid I appreciate that, I'm going to grandads this week and am going to pull his photos out ..in the mean time I'm going to send them forms away see if I can get out...the problem is time and a lot of stuff gets thrown out over the years , so I'm going to need a bit of luck I think aswell.

• Like 1

Sid; Would you happen to know of anyone, reliable, who can 'translate' military records, please?

I have WW2 records here and it's like trying to make anything of written Japanese!

I know there are people who know their shit and have a going rate. Sadly, like anything else, there are cowboys out there. I could have some idiot tell me a load of old bollocks and how would I know?

Come to think of it; Carp's going to need the same service. Getting the records is the easy part!

• Like 1

That's the thing, Sid; I was on Roots and spoke to a dude on there about it. Showed him a few bits, to get his opinion. Then, he asked me to shoot the lot over to him, said he'd analyse the records.

Then said sorry, he'd been extremely busy. Then said ..... Never did get a shred of analysis out of him. And he's a fukking mod there. So, basically, he got another complete military service record for his private collection. For free.

Even worse; I wonder if certain statements he made, from assumptions before he got the full records, had proven wrong. I wonder if he'd just made a kunt of himself and so went silent on me.

That doesn't matter, at the end of the day. I'd just like to know what all those random groups of letters mean. Where my man went and what he got up to.

I've actually seen a book about his regiment. I'd love to buy it and read it. If I could first just make sure he wasn't somehow assigned as bottle washer, at home, while all his mates went off to die on a mountain side in Italy.

2 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Sid; Would you happen to know of anyone, reliable, who can 'translate' military records, please?

I have WW2 records here and it's like trying to make anything of written Japanese!

I know there are people who know their shit and have a going rate. Sadly, like anything else, there are cowboys out there. I could have some idiot tell me a load of old bollocks and how would I know?

Come to think of it; Carp's going to need the same service. Getting the records is the easy part!

Happy to take a look for you.   I've done a bit of this in my time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's fukking decent of you, Out. Thank you!

I have the lot on file. I can only imagine I received paper work and scanned the lot. I scan all my shit, obviously. Only way to get it on line.

I'll pull the stick right now. I'm not doing anything important. How shall I hand it over? You got a dead letter drop addy? I can probably have a zip sent there in minutes.

Feel free to PM me what ever plan suits you. Thanks again.

Anything you might decipher would be a great boon.

1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

That's fukking decent of you, Out. Thank you!

I have the lot on file. I can only imagine I received paper work and scanned the lot. I scan all my shit, obviously. Only way to get it on line.

I'll pull the stick right now. I'm not doing anything important. How shall I hand it over? You got a dead letter drop addy? I can probably have a zip sent there in minutes.

Feel free to PM me what ever plan suits you. Thanks again.

Anything you might decipher would be a great boon.

Sent you a PM chap.

4 hours ago, carp king said:

No mate I've just messaged my grandad to see if he has any more info will message him and ask if he has rank and number also...off the top of my head he died in 1968...just looked on the government link above and

going to send his death and birth certificates with the forms if my grandad still has them.

If he was serving when a child was born , it may have his number rank name against your grandads birth certificate mate 

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, mushroom said:

How would I go about finding my grandad's service number? 

It may be on his discharge paperwork etc or any type of formal army communication , it’s also usually engraved round medals but I think that’s a new thing 

im not massively into this stuff Though mate as I haven’t any one of any interest really in my back ground ,??

7 hours ago, carp king said:

Kind regards folks

Carp

Military record are easily found online mate, if you know his regiment, his date of birth etc then you can easily find him on the role along with his army number 

Don’t expect and autobiographical 10 page epic, there were hundreds of thousands of blokes serving and it’s just name, number, regiment and that’s it.