Hob loosing lots of weight

Big hob of mine 3 year old is loosing loads of weight still it’s normal self and happy playing out but is like a sack of bones now we’ll fed tried pigeon rabbit biscuit squirrel you name it and still won’t put weight on was always a big chunky thing that made short work of rats 

3 hours ago, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

Big hob of mine 3 year old is loosing loads of weight still it’s normal self and happy playing out but is like a sack of bones now we’ll fed tried pigeon rabbit biscuit squirrel you name it and still won’t put weight on was always a big chunky thing that made short work of rats 

I have  hob that burns a lot of weight , he is a fast hard worker and he uses a lot of energy keeping him self busy in his pen , I used to feed a lot of pigeon and pheasant to him but he would lose weight still on them so now just feed him full rabbits , just remove guts , he also has some fatty beef mince  from time to time and some milk and raw eggs 

Some good advice above. I find they don't tolerate too much that's not rabbit or kibble but the odd egg, birds, liver etc fine. I always keep a tube of beaphar malt paste, useful if you need to distract or reward them and I also use small amounts with old ferrets looking skinny. Salmon oil can pep up kibble although not all mine like it. 

My old ones usually lose the odd tooth so I cut rabbits up to make it easier.for them and preferentially offer easy to it parts for them

I have had the odd ferret over the years get abscesses from bones, shows in the cheek or throat so worth double checking for that

Hopefully he'll be fine

1 hour ago, Luckee legs said:

Some good advice above. I find they don't tolerate too much that's not rabbit or kibble but the odd egg, birds, liver etc fine. I always keep a tube of beaphar malt paste, useful if you need to distract or reward them and I also use small amounts with old ferrets looking skinny. Salmon oil can pep up kibble although not all mine like it. 

My old ones usually lose the odd tooth so I cut rabbits up to make it easier.for them and preferentially offer easy to it parts for them

I have had the odd ferret over the years get abscesses from bones, shows in the cheek or throat so worth double checking for that

Hopefully he'll be fine

Fine this morning and now he won’t eat or drink or move think its old age I said it was 3 but the lad I got it off said it’s at least 5 I got a couple of hobs it’s my albino thats younger not looking good going to take him in house and see if he will have anything 

So if he's 5 then it's possible he could be coming to the end of his time. I hope to get 5 years from mine, oldest was 11 but some have gone at 3. I've found even when obviously ill with cancer (seems to be usual end) they are initially happy to see you and get out. At the end it comes fast and they stop fluid and food intake and don't want any help.

Last things to try, get some cats milk as they tolerate that well. One of the cancers they get messes with their sugar metabolism and rubbing honey on their gums can perk things up .  Good luck

1 hour ago, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

Sadly died this morning kept him in house managed to get him to eat some pigeon breast and a bit of cat food and drink some water I’ve spoke to a mate this morning that’s been round and said it’s probably had cancer 

Sorry to hear this, always sad to lose a ferret. Important you were looking after him until the end ?

23 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

Sorry to hear this, always sad to lose a ferret. Important you were looking after him until the end ?

Not had a good run with the litter I got off a mate couple had seizures and had to be Pts and a Jill died giving birth but my other litter of kits seem to be just fine I no longer have a hob they were all Jill’s 

• 2 weeks later...