finally tested the foxpro

been really busy with work and the kids lately so haven't had much time to get out, only snatching a few hours here and there on the rats with the airgun as its 

a five min drive and ultimately lazy as I shoot them out of the window!

when I turned up to the pig farm a couple of weeks ago I noticed a fox on arrival eating the yard dogs food so next time I went up I took the foxpro with me, 

on inspection of the field its 800m long there were five working it ?... the rat masher runs at 60ftlb throwing .25 34gn lumps of lead 900fps, the caller stayed in my pocket as if id walked into the field they would of taken off.. two down 

so I went back up the beginning of the week armed with the caller and me 6.5,

on arrival there was one 150yard from the rd side entrance but not my field and the owning farm right behind it.. same thing if id got out the motor id of got busted.. bloody hilux beeps and flashes if you

fart? waited a bit to see if he'd come to the land im on but wasn't interested so opened main gate and parked in the yard, dogfood bandit was there but took off again!

this place is on the moors and windy, it was a mega dark night even though the stars were out.. been to this place loads of times but never really bothered with looking for foxes, I mentioned to the farmer about them and he said im good to go with the 6.5

so walking through the field where he dumps the muck is a shit tip and well over grown... not looking where im going cos im panning about with the thermal I nearly fell in a pond he'd dug out,

not even got set up and me feet are freezing:(

I made it over to where I new I wanted to set up, the length of the field runs parallel to the forest with drystone walls to all sides, nice safe backstops and dips all over!

so I set the gizmo up at a paced 100 walked back to the only tree in the field that I was waiting by as I had a feeling it wouldn't take long to get a reaction,

I poured a coffee out and had a smoke as the wind was strong and blowing away from where I was expecting them to come from... aft me brew I fired the gizmo up!

this is where the fun began, I had a good scan first with the thermal and nothing to be seen for 3 fields in my view to the left.. all other sides were going to be blind pulling till onto my field..

within a min I had one steaming in from the field side, didn't have it on full blast and the wind was carrying my way.. couldn't believe it.. chose red fox bark as its shaggin season I thought they'd be up for a fight or a shag... this fox steamed in and stopped dead at about 150yrd away in the other farmers field then just walked away in opposite direction so I fumbled about and managed to change the call to bark 2, with this it turned round and charged towards the caller jumping the stone wall a lot better than me... ive never used this thing before and the buttons dont light up so I couldn't work out how to shut the soddin thing up to hold it for a second while I got ready for the shot, thought id lean on the tree to steady up but that wasn't happening so I quickly got the stix up and had a butchers through the thermal before firing the lamp up.. shit theres 3 of them ? the original just looking at it one stood on the wall from the woods and one coming down from the top right corner!

so safety off lined up fired lamp up boom thud... turned it over cos it wont a pretty sight

2AFA1AA8-3529-406A-9665-B52A5EA44347_1_201_a.jpeg.fa9bcea043a5646dce8b9135a21efe2f.jpeg

within seconds there were flash lamps going off all over the spot, the farmer above was out.. someone in the wood who shouldn't probably be in there and must of been a keeper looking in the wrong direction as the sound carried like ive never herd it before.. with this commotion I kind of lost me mojo and thought about going up to see the farmer above but didn't know what to expect especially in the pitch black windy night.. id called in to see him and give him a heads up earlier but he wasn't in!

after all the lamps had gone I fired the thermal back up and one had hung about in the marsh.. the caller was still on but it was being super cautious anyway the stix were up and another was down,

I decided no ones got any right to be in this field its in the middle of a swam and im already soaked its staying where it dropped.. 

I had another brew and smoke while I got myself back together and tried a few different calls, saw two more foxes in the other field that payed no attention at all to the caller and just carried on working the land while having a few poor attempts at catching the hares. 

so im going to bait them next week maybe Sunday night... the next day I called in to see the farmer above who was a proper nice old lad, told him it was me last night showed him the foxs over the wall and he was chuffed to bits and gave me his phone number and the green light to shoot all his land too ?

so me first fox pro session worked on 60ish% of what I saw... from speaking to both farmers the untouchables must feel super safe as that farmer only grows crops and won't let anyone shoot his land!

Jesus that took some typin

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Great stuff  , the Foxpro is fantastic. Sometimes though they come in real quick and faffing about with thermal and nv loses opportunities . I've found if they are coming  to the call my red led doesnt affect them at all and you can keep an eye on what the fox is doing and how quick it is approaching. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

You watch your ticket what with all that excitement at your age!

?

Forgot to mention there were two heifers in the next field that’s open to this one that liked the caller too.. didn’t fancy getting flattened so I was keeping an eye on them too?

• Haha 4
13 hours ago, Stavross said:

An exciting adventure ? you definitely did better than me, all I seen tonight was hares and pigs ?

Were you local or up at your shoot?!

thought I’d see a few pigs up on the moor but nowt, seen loads around the paddocks lately but the busy road seems to thin them out 

1 hour ago, si brown said:

Were you local or up at your shoot?!

thought I’d see a few pigs up on the moor but nowt, seen loads around the paddocks lately but the busy road seems to thin them out 

Up at the shoot, they are everywhere, one was running alongside my car at wass bank