Witney,oxfordshire

5 minutes ago, WILF said:

How strange, do you know what mate I genuinely never seen 1 that I can remember and I put a lot of hours in one winter down there.......seen plenty of Roe, fallow, pigs, foxes etc etc but never 1 muntjac.

Mind you, I was on the back of a land rover all the time so they could have easily been missed ! Lol ? 

Use to be a lot of good digging to be had  round Cotswold shame we didn't have the same results with a light 

• Like 2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He will get culled just like everything else ?

f**k off he does.no dss their.

Use to be a lot of good digging to be had  round Cotswold shame we didn't have the same results with a light 

Posted Images

Just now, Blackmag said:

There was indeed mate ?........but hitting those sheets of Cotswold stone was a right b*****d ! 
Much too much like hard work for my liking ! Lol 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, trapperman said:

I’m just down the road in long hanborough 

lots of deer round here muntjac almost as numerous as rabbits ? I’ve got some at the holding eating all my coppice regrowth, what’s the law on shooting muntys with a shotgun ? Anyone know ?

Have a read up, I believe the landowner is allowed to shoot a munty with shotgun if you meet all the criteria involved! Can coppice regrowth be classed as livelihood??? A grey area 

Home office guidelines state as follows;

13.31 The Deer Act also authorises the use of smooth-bore guns of at least 12 bore for shooting deer, firing a non spherical slug of at least 350 grains to kill deer on cultivated land, pasture or enclosed woodland if it can be shown that the deer were causing serious damage to crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber or other property, that such damage was likely to continue and that that action was needed to prevent this. This provision was intended to allow farmers and crofters who own a shot gun but not a rifle to deal with marauding deer. Shot guns for use with solid slug should be cylinder bored and fitted with sights, if available. Solid slug is section 1 ammunition and so a firearm certificate would be needed for possession and use. 

1 hour ago, ollieollie said:

Have a read up, I believe the landowner is allowed to shoot a munty with shotgun if you meet all the criteria involved! Can coppice regrowth be classed as livelihood??? A grey area 

That’s what I thought I had heard something about crop damage or the like

im sure someone told me years ago said it has to be AAA shot or something 

might be worth a call to the firearms officer 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, trapperman said:

That’s what I thought I had heard something about crop damage or the like

im sure someone told me years ago said it has to be AAA shot or something 

might be worth a call to the firearms officer 

I get the feeling it’s the least encouragable shot as far as the law is concerned but if you tick all the boxes get cracking 

9 hours ago, WILF said:

Head out towards Cheltenham and anywhere between you and there is lifting with gear !

Forget the muntjac, it’s roe and fallow you will be photographing round there.

Plenty of other kit as well to photograph ?

f***ing sick of fallow, roe and the others but I've never seen a chunky or munty in my life.

9 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Witney in general is busier than most villages of a similar size in the area . 

if you go shining a light around there / Carterton you’ll likely be stopped and enquired. 

doesn’t take a genius to work out why . 

I'll have plenty if permission in a month so no problem their.

13 hours ago, WILF said:

How strange, do you know what mate I genuinely never seen 1 that I can remember and I put a lot of hours in one winter down there.......seen plenty of Roe, fallow, pigs, foxes etc etc but never 1 muntjac.

Mind you, I was on the back of a land rover all the time so they could have easily been missed ! Lol ? 

The muntis are spreading out like wildfire but because they don’t behave like roe etc they seem to have a reasonable hold on places before anyone realises they are there, I saw my first one on the Cotswolds when I was working up there and writhing 3 years I was catching them on trail cameras 40 miles further south and I now get them running around behind the warehouses in Avonmouth, i don’t no how long they have been about up there or when you were active up there they may have moved in when you left, out of interest how far south do people see them as G.B is only about 45 miles further down than me and has not got them yet it seems ?

2 minutes ago, Greyman said:

The muntis are spreading out like wildfire but because they don’t behave like roe etc they seem to have a reasonable hold on places before anyone realises they are there, I saw my first one on the Cotswolds when I was working up there and writhing 3 years I was catching them on trail cameras 40 miles further south and I now get them running around behind the warehouses in Avonmouth, i don’t no how long they have been about up there or when you were active up there they may have moved in when you left, out of interest how far south do people see them as G.B is only about 45 miles further down than me and has not got them yet it seems ?

The places I always used to see them was Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Flitwick way.

Essex and Suffolk are literally alive with the things.