Dewclaw removal

Yeah was going get some vet wrap. Wasn’t sure though if that always works...if the dewclaws sort of permanently warped and going to affect his running and day to day. Never had dewclaw probs before with other dogs. 

5 minutes ago, gaza said:

Yeah was going get some vet wrap. Wasn’t sure though if that always works...if the dewclaws sort of permanently warped and going to affect his running and day to day. Never had dewclaw probs before with other dogs. 

I would gi it a go vet wrap wi bit of gorilla tape over got be worth a try 

The someone on here has 2 wrap dew claws can't remember who it is though 

• Like 1

Yeah I’ve seen a dog on here always wrapped up but can’t remember who’s.  Cheers mate I’ll give it a try and can’t do any harm. It’s not the expense of getting them off, I’ve read they can be a ball ache to heal after splitting open again. Plus I’ve only just got him going so eager get out with him. Sorry to hear about your dog atb with your pup ? 

• Like 1

One of my lot had one grow back & she was always catching it so had it removed took good while to fully heal but never had prob since ?I tried wrapping with vetwrap & tape but hard to get it to stay on as if you tape it too tight cuts off blood & foot swells & if too loose comes off. Hope you get sorted bud Atb

• Like 1

They heal well mate. Ive had them of my dog you can get them back running in 10 days. Make sure you have a decent vet remove them because if they don't do it right they can grow back. Theres a fare bit of root on them I believe.

My dog practically jacked it all in at 3 year old and it was just his due claws. He's never looked back since he's 10 in febuary

Cheers for all the feed back fellas much appreciated ?. Will prob wrap see how we go and get them removed in summer save the hassle. My only worry was botched vet job and also they obv have them for a reason so if had them removed it affecting his running. Might have been me who knocked it this time ??‍♂️ sort of stumbled onto him dragging him up a bank after farmer had lamp on me! 

3 hours ago, Balaur said:

I might have a look at them, but velcro tabs would need to be taped up.

I've not had carpal pad off but religiously vet wrap and electrical tape before working her or off lead exercise. Stops any tear or splits, couple of lads I know have had more damage and had them off, one said has been fine since,one is waiting to find out and one said affected joint . I'm happy with leaving mine on and live with the wrapping before work, I'd probably do it with any future runner as it's such a common injury and it's a pain once it starts.

To add, I probably wouldn't use that as it looks gappy around top vet wrap would do a better job of sealing the joint otherwise you get all kinds of debris in there if you work dog near forestry gorse bramble etc.

Them things are crapingtons 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, trigger2 said:

They heal well mate. Ive had them of my dog you can get them back running in 10 days. Make sure you have a decent vet remove them because if they don't do it right they can grow back. Theres a fare bit of root on them I believe.

My dog practically jacked it all in at 3 year old and it was just his due claws. He's never looked back since he's 10 in febuary

yup he was different dog after , Buck had his off   as pup  best way, old bryn got his , he did have few probs with them, i did all that taped stuff , only prob i found keeping the buggers on , ok for -10  runs then start to slip down . 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gaza said:

Cheers for all the feed back fellas much appreciated ?. Will prob wrap see how we go and get them removed in summer save the hassle. My only worry was botched vet job and also they obv have them for a reason so if had them removed it affecting his running. Might have been me who knocked it this time ??‍♂️ sort of stumbled onto him dragging him up a bank after farmer had lamp on me! 

well, dont know what vet you got, meaning   if there bit a Anti  etc, but if you can say i just take it beating and it  knocks its feet about , the vet might look at it bit better lol if not good  with your vet ,try greyhound vet , i am lucky my vets by me the main one, like bit of hunting , she always say to me when i go there , how Buck doing   , she like working type dogs

2 minutes ago, bird said:

well, dont know what vet you got, meaning   if there bit a Anti  etc, but if you can say i just take it beating and it  knocks its feet about , the vet might look at it bit better lol if not good  with your vet ,try greyhound vet , i am lucky my vets by me the main one, like bit of hunting , she always say to me when i go there , how Buck doing   , she like working type dogs

Bet u would wunt ya ?