Which Break Barrel?

2 hours ago, Gaoler said:

Well, done it, just ordered an HW95 in .177, pick it up tomorrow morning.

All my rifles are .22, what’s a good pellet for the 95 in .177?

mine wasn't fussy at all but id say always have a tin of aa field in 4.52 in as they generally group well in anything ,177

• Like 2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hw95k or hw80k , would be my choice 

Same as that depending on your physicality, eighty if your big and strong 95 if a bit more compact , but if your going for a vortex tune even an smk will be usable at sub 12 ?

well if anything is going to break it will be anything i own.no good luck ever.anyway the spring broke or was partially broke when i bought the gun from brand new.everything seemed good to start then

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Gaoler said:

Well, done it, just ordered an HW95 in .177, pick it up tomorrow morning.

All my rifles are .22, what’s a good pellet for the 95 in .177?

Try AA express but like any gun you will have to find pellets to suit your barrel 

• Like 1

Couldn't wait!, so picked the rifle up this afternoon, the guy at my local gun shop threw in 2 tins of AA field, 4.52, saying they shoot well through the .177 in his experience too, but again try others if needed.

Going to set it up this evening and mount the scope ready for zeroing tomorrow.

I will probably shoot the rifle for a while before tuning it, will it need any lubricant on the breech block hinge & barrel lock before use, use a light gun oil??

Cheers...

2 hours ago, Gaoler said:

Couldn't wait!, so picked the rifle up this afternoon, the guy at my local gun shop threw in 2 tins of AA field, 4.52, saying they shoot well through the .177 in his experience too, but again try others if needed.

Going to set it up this evening and mount the scope ready for zeroing tomorrow.

I will probably shoot the rifle for a while before tuning it, will it need any lubricant on the breech block hinge & barrel lock before use, use a light gun oil??

Cheers...

It shouldn’t need any oil but if it looks dry a few drops won’t do any harm.. make sure you give the barrel a good clean before you use it?

• Like 2
On 21/10/2020 at 17:40, .357shooter said:

if like me you only shoot freehand the 98 is nose heavy.and after 300 shots it chewed itself to pieces so i would not buy another.the hw90 is a nice gun but it does take some getting used to the way it shoots.does not behave/ react as a springer does.you need to fire one really to see if you will get on with it.i liked mine as i can shoot everything as when i buy something i master it.

What do you mean mate, by 'chewed itself to pieces? Two fellas I know have the 98 and are very impressed with them, putting, I'd imagine, a few thousand pellets through them with no problems.  And I've also read several reviews extolling their virtues.

Not disbelieving you, just not heard or read of many problems with the 98

1 hour ago, si brown said:

It shouldn’t need any oil but if it looks dry a few drops won’t do any harm.. make sure you give the barrel a good clean before you use it?

Cheers Si,

Cleaned the barrel thoroughly tonight, it was quite dirty!

1 minute ago, Gaoler said:

Cheers Si,

Cleaned the barrel thoroughly tonight, it was quite dirty!

yeah they put loads of grease down the barrel to stop them going rusty:thumbs:

you'll be spoilt for choice when your going out now, if im off to the woods its usually with a springer and you've got the best two to chose between!

• Like 1

Put my Hawke mounts on, and they are a gnats cock too short, the x50 objectice end is just touching the gun!

Can I shim the mounts?, as if I go the next size up I will have to wind the elevation right down I would imagine.

Cheers...

2 minutes ago, si brown said:

yeah they put loads of grease down the barrel to stop them going rusty:thumbs:

you'll be spoilt for choice when your going out now, if im off to the woods its usually with a springer and you've got the best two to chose between!

I have definetly got the Springer bug!

What should I zero a .177 at? all my .22s are zeroed at 28 yards, never had .177 until now.

55 minutes ago, shaaark said:

What do you mean mate, by 'chewed itself to pieces? Two fellas I know have the 98 and are very impressed with them, putting, I'd imagine, a few thousand pellets through them with no problems.  And I've also read several reviews extolling their virtues.

Not disbelieving you, just not heard or read of many problems with the 98

well if anything is going to break it will be anything i own.no good luck ever.anyway the spring broke or was partially broke when i bought the gun from brand new.everything seemed good to start then felt a little rough on cocking.took it back to the shop and was fixed.another geat product i bought was a timney trigger for my .223 rem 700 and that fecking broke too.everybody says they do not break.my marlin .357 broke twice and they never play up.my .44 magnum marlin also broke so i will never buy another,two for two.its not like i am rough with stuff or do not look after it as i am very sympathetic with anything mechanical.just can not get my head around being a bit firm to cycle my pump action shotgun for example.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

well if anything is going to break it will be anything i own.no good luck ever.anyway the spring broke or was partially broke when i bought the gun from brand new.everything seemed good to start then felt a little rough on cocking.took it back to the shop and was fixed.another geat product i bought was a timney trigger for my .223 rem 700 and that fecking broke too.everybody says they do not break.my marlin .357 broke twice and they never play up.my .44 magnum marlin also broke so i will never buy another,two for two.its not like i am rough with stuff or do not look after it as i am very sympathetic with anything mechanical.just can not get my head around being a bit firm to cycle my pump action shotgun for example.

Don’t They call you lucky  ?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, .357shooter said:

Sound a bit like me lol. My mrs won't let me 'fix' anything. I've broken literally hundreds of things, and continue to do so regularly. I'm very heavy handed, and pretty clumsy apparently, but I can walk through a wood like a ninja lol. Never had a problem with any air rifles mechanically breaking down on me though.

Zeroed the HW95 .177 at 32 yards early this morning (first time I have had a .177), all my other rifles are .22s and are zeroed at 28 yards.

I had bolted on an old 3-9x50 Hawke Sport HD scope with mil dots, although a cheap scope I was pleasantly surprised how good the optics where, not using it for a while and been in my gun draw for about a year. All my other rifles are PCP and just recently acquired an HW97K and had it tuned by agrtuning, Tony Burton,  never shot it with the Weihrauch spring & piston in.

The 95K zeroed in, I was able to put not quite pellet on pellet, but not far off, it grouped so well. I didn’t think it kicked that much either. During the day I took 13 squirrels from my permission for 15 shots, some of the squizzers where at 40 yard plus, and down to about 22 yards, 2 of the 13 needed follow up shots to despatch them cleanly, I was impressed how flat the .177 pellet trajectory was.

After a while I will send the rifle off to agrtuning and get a Vortek PG-3 kit put in and tune, I will wait to see how the tune will improve what is already an accurate rifle, either way I am well chuffed with the gun.

Cheers for everyone’s advice...

Edited by Gaoler
  • Like 1