HW97K - Squizzers.

Gaoler

Hi all,

I went out again today, visited a permission I have had for years, a small woods but always as it’s fair share of squirrels and rabbits. The last few times I have been out I have left my HW100 & FN19 at home, more so to get used to the HW97K and getting used to shooting a springer. I have to say the more I shoot the 97, the more I can’t put it down, there is something very satisfying for me about shooting a springer, I can’t really explain it.

I sat under an Oak while looking out at further Oaks, and some Chestnut trees, it wasn’t long before 2 squirrels appeared chasing each other round the base of the trees, they stopped on a tree base about 30 yards away, I was resting on my shooting stick so had a steady base to shoot off, I aimed at the bottom of the two squirrels and let go and the .22 hit clean in the head sending the squirrel stone dead to the floor. The second squirrel just froze, normally they scamper off at full speed, I recocked the 97 looked up and it was still there, took aim and again hit it clean in the head sending it to the floor, stone dead. It was at this point the woods came alive with squirrels chattering all around me, using my ears more my eyes to find them, I got 3 more in my sights and all 3 hit cleanly one after another. I find the more I shoot the 97 the more I get used to it, and the more I love the whole experience, to the point when shooting the PCPs it seems to be too easy, if that makes sense! The 97 has a Vortek tune in it and was installed by Tony Burton who polished and serviced everything before returning it, the more I shoot the 97 the smoother it seems to get, the Vortek tune is bedding in nicely (thanks Si, for recommending him).

A further 4 squirrels fell to the 97 until I started to lose light, and the squirrels also new I was there so I called it a day, it was one the best days in recent times, but I think it was made more so by the 97 and getting to know how to hold it properly, shoot it accurately and work with the recoil, it’s a cracking rifle. I have always shot PCPs but have definitely got the springer bug, to the point I am looking at buying an HW break barrel, not sure which one yet, any advice welcome.

cheers...

• Like 5

Hi Gaoler,

I also have the HW97K but in .177 flavour and Sandwell internals and mirror polished, feck me what a rifle she is, I`ve taken a hillside of vermin with her, often thought about a .22 HW97K to compliment her :whistling: as you do.

HW springer, break barrel, which one should you buy ?  ( oh no, here we go ) :laugh:

Lots of opinions buddy, spoke many times with some well known RFD`s and the HW 98 and HW95 Luxus get many a mention.

I use the HW 80. MK1 .22, break barrel, untouched, if you can find one- buy it ! One of the finest spring piston break barrels I have ever owned by far.

atb 

Mark.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Gaoler said:

Just an update, bought an HW95K in .177 today...definetly got the bug!

Should’ve got the 80, you’ll get more for it when you weigh it in....

???only joking 

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Hw97k

Baaaa

Shit rifles 

Heavy not accurate at all 

Even worse with a tune 

Best throw it at ur pray 

Or use as a door stop 

???

Or you could ask our Jimmy to collect from you just to get it out of the way ? ?

Phil

• Like 2
17 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Hw97k

Baaaa

Shit rifles 

Heavy not accurate at all 

Even worse with a tune 

Best throw it at ur pray 

Or use as a door stop 

The shit gun matches my shit shooting, but surprisingly still gets results! ???

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Gaoler said:

The shit gun matches my shit shooting, but surprisingly still gets results! ???

Cracking rifles iv had more than a few mate in both cals

from new they do need a tune and done right there amazing

accurate as feck

but are a heavy rifle

the silencer is not a silencer there is nothing in it its a barrel whait to stop barrel flip

The 97 is a more moden rifle and made to replace the old hw77

place them side by side and they look the same but the 97 is more slimer actions are the same and stocks can be inter changed from one to the other

The under leaver lock is dif on an older hw77

BUT BOTH GOOD RIFLES BOTH OLD AND NEW

You have a good rifle there mate and not one of the best for nothing mind

second to NONE

in the right hands

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1