Goshawking

Moorman 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally got a hare with her, there aren't many around here, had a good flight on a crow this morning. Third slip on a hare today from a good solid point,result ?

What a flight! wasn't out for long, I had to end the session and give her a big reward. The last flight was the best flight that I have seen her perform to date. The dog was on point in the cover crop

Slipped out for a cheeky Christmas Day Rooster ? #39

Posted Images

On 10/01/2021 at 18:02, Moorman 1 said:

That's great news, I'm glad to hear that you have your inspiration back. I hope that you take the plunge, keep us posted, and thank you!

Been looking at building materials and planning a mews today, obviously a goshawks the goal but I think a Harris hawk or retail again until I have some experience under my belt. 

53 minutes ago, poachers apprentice said:

Been looking at building materials and planning a mews today, obviously a goshawks the goal but I think a Harris hawk or retail again until I have some experience under my belt. 

Its very addictive once you have made the commitment. Its a pity that you couldn't find a mentor in your area and go for the gos. Its just that a lot of people go for a Harris or the like then in a year or so want to go onto something more challenging. That leaves the Harris or the Redtail being passed on in one way or another. If you could find someone nearby to lend a hand, you would both gain experience as you go along and would grow as a team together. That way your efforts aren't wasted on a bird that you know that you will part company with in the near future. I am helping a lad in the same situation he has a gos as his first hawk and is coming along nicely with it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moorman 1 said:

Its very addictive once you have made the commitment. Its a pity that you couldn't find a mentor in your area and go for the gos. Its just that a lot of people go for a Harris or the like then in a year or so want to go onto something more challenging. That leaves the Harris or the Redtail being passed on in one way or another. If you could find someone nearby to lend a hand, you would both gain experience as you go along and would grow as a team together. That way your efforts aren't wasted on a bird that you know that you will part company with in the near future. I am helping a lad in the same situation he has a gos as his first hawk and is coming along nicely with it.

I'll see if I can find a mentor, a gos would be my dream bird being honest. I'll ask about and see if anyone knows anyone in my area ?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Elchapo said:

Can’t beat couple flights at the red legs ??

That's the first one that she's had it was a really long flight down a valley, another species on the list. Back out there tomorrow. My mates coming out with his young gos too so should be a good day!

What a day mist, drizzle and rain. Had my mate out with his young albidus goshawk, spent most of the day trying to get her a kill, but the rain got the better of her. No cigar!

Then it started raining properly. I  said to the boys mine needs to kill on her first flight, otherwise she'll be too wet to go again. Walking the cover crop and a cockbird got up two thirds of the way down the field. She left the glove with a lot of distance to make up. We tracked her down two thirds of the way down the next field, soaking wet and plucking her prize. #52?

20210127_134626.jpg

20210127_134722.jpg

• Like 3