Goshawking

Moorman 1

1 hour ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Looking good! Out of interest when ferreting with birds do you slip whilst the rabbits bolted? Does the bird ever go for the ferret? Might be a stupid question ??‍♂️

Thank you! Definitely not a stupid question. They don't take long to learn that the ferrets put out their dinner, if you know what I mean. With a young green hawk you have to keep hold of them until the rabbit bolts, you can soon see that they are ignoring the ferrets. With Harris's we would often cast the hawk into a tree above a rabbit bury, to give the hawk the height advantage, once they are reliable with the ferrets. With Goshawks however they are always flown from the fist whenever possible. As they have the acceleration speed to catch from the fist regularly. 

Edited by Moorman 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally got a hare with her, there aren't many around here, had a good flight on a crow this morning. Third slip on a hare today from a good solid point,result ?

What a flight! wasn't out for long, I had to end the session and give her a big reward. The last flight was the best flight that I have seen her perform to date. The dog was on point in the cover crop

Slipped out for a cheeky Christmas Day Rooster ? #39

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

Thank you! Definitely not a stupid question. They don't take long to learn that the ferrets put out their dinner, if you know what I mean. With a young green hawk you have to keep hold of them until the rabbit bolts, you can soon see that they are ignoring the ferrets. With Harris's we would often cast the hawk into a tree above a rabbit bury, to give the hawk the height advantage, once they are reliable with the ferrets. With Goshawks however they are always flown from the fist whenever possible. As they have the acceleration speed to catch from the fist regularly. 

Much like a lurcher then once they realise they push the fun out? got a chap I give rabbits to near me who breeds gos hawks. Might have to get him out for a day with the ferrets 

2 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Much like a lurcher then once they realise they push the fun out? got a chap I give rabbits to near me who breeds gos hawks. Might have to get him out for a day with the ferrets 

Yes very much like a lurcher in that respect. Yes I think you would enjoy it for a change. 

3 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Double check his birds are used to ferrets mate .Most hunter types use ferrets for rabbits but some prefer feather so check before a disaster .

20 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Looking good! Out of interest when ferreting with birds do you slip whilst the rabbits bolted? Does the bird ever go for the ferret? Might be a stupid question ??‍♂️

My old man always said No such thing as a stupid question mate ??

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Get your self out with him  mate there good fun 

This is a great topic Moorman and it’s lovely to see how versatile a goss is I’m still flying my  M Harris but toying with getting a gos preferably a male maybe next season. Keep the pictures coming she’s having a good season well done ? 

6 hours ago, Fonzie said:

This is a great topic Moorman and it’s lovely to see how versatile a goss is I’m still flying my  M Harris but toying with getting a gos preferably a male maybe next season. Keep the pictures coming she’s having a good season well done ? 

Thanks Fonzie go for it you won't look back ?

Really enjoying your posts moorman, I had a couple of yearwith a falconer who flew redtails and goshawks, much preferred the goshawk. Was going to get my own bop but time and space needed were not avaliable. Got the time and the space now and reading this thread had inspired me to look back into it. Just hope I can remember what he taught me lol. 

5 hours ago, poachers apprentice said:

Really enjoying your posts moorman, I had a couple of yearwith a falconer who flew redtails and goshawks, much preferred the goshawk. Was going to get my own bop but time and space needed were not avaliable. Got the time and the space now and reading this thread had inspired me to look back into it. Just hope I can remember what he taught me lol. 

That's great news, I'm glad to hear that you have your inspiration back. I hope that you take the plunge, keep us posted, and thank you!

What a flight! wasn't out for long, I had to end the session and give her a big reward. The last flight was the best flight that I have seen her perform to date. The dog was on point in the cover crop, my mate walked in and flushed it, it went out across the open field climbing as it went. The bird was a long way behind and low. To look at it I  thought no chance. However she put a massive spurt on rising high and performing a mid air bind way above the tree's, crashing down from around 50 foot to land at the edge of the cover. I still can't believe that she made the ground up and caught it. That flight was the reason that we fly goshawks. ?#48

20210110_102845.jpg

20210110_104225.jpg

Edited by Moorman 1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1