Goshawking

Moorman 1

2 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

Had to take advantage of the weather although we still got soaked in the end. She had a good workout and put another six in the bag, with some outstanding flights showing her determination and fitness. #38

20201220_143754.jpg

Doing her proud mate 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally got a hare with her, there aren't many around here, had a good flight on a crow this morning. Third slip on a hare today from a good solid point,result ?

What a flight! wasn't out for long, I had to end the session and give her a big reward. The last flight was the best flight that I have seen her perform to date. The dog was on point in the cover crop

Slipped out for a cheeky Christmas Day Rooster ? #39

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

Thanks mate, I  thought it was getting a bit same old, if you know what I mean. 

Not at all likes of me who not got the space time or patience to own one , but interested or like look of the birds of prey it’s interesting ?

something about looking into a gos or sparrow hawks eyes  is hypnotic ?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, foxdropper said:

No mate far from it .There’s plenty owning BOP but not many doing anything with them .

Thank you. I know what you mean we used to call them Robin Hood falconers. Got all the gear but never fly them,lol. If I didn't use it I wouldn't keep it.

9 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Not at all likes of me who not got the space time or patience to own one , but interested or like look of the birds of prey it’s interesting ?

something about looking into a gos or sparrow hawks eyes  is hypnotic ?

Thanks mate.

Definitely have a certain look in their eyes. 

9 hours ago, iworkwhippets said:

keep em coming matey,    crackin bird   im enjoying your posts

Thats good to know, thanks.

Edited by Moorman 1
On 25/12/2020 at 12:58, Moorman 1 said:

Slipped out for a cheeky Christmas Day Rooster ?

20201225_091056.jpg

20201225_091007.jpg

You'll not go hungry with her mate, she looks the business

I had a half day at a falconry place, I was disappointed that they didn't have any goshawks, the falconer reckoned they weren't worth the extra effort they needed over the Harris hawks, and said the red Tails were the ones to go for if looking for a more powerful bird for hare, I've always been impressed with what I've seen of the goshawks look like very determined hunters

• Like 1
4 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Keep posts coming mate, seems lot folk are enjoying them ?

Thanks and I  will do. ?

48 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

You'll not go hungry with her mate, she looks the business

I had a half day at a falconry place, I was disappointed that they didn't have any goshawks, the falconer reckoned they weren't worth the extra effort they needed over the Harris hawks, and said the red Tails were the ones to go for if looking for a more powerful bird for hare, I've always been impressed with what I've seen of the goshawks look like very determined hunters

That's why they were known as the kitchen hawk.

I have flown several Redtails and Harris's. They are all worthy species in their own right. Redtails take a huge amount of effort to get them fit, they can be great birds, but they are buzzards and can be lazy. You don't get the mid air binds that you get with the Goshawks, their ability and flight style is one of a kind. If a goshawk is  motivated and entered correctly, with their unique flight style there is no other hawk to match them.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Brilliant mate .300 yards ?

It was a decent distance. Just been out in galeforce winds. Put up 6 hares all in the wrong position with the high winds for a fair slip.

Had some decent flying in the wind which made for a tidy workout. Mixed it up with calling to the fist and lure for her rations. So made the most of the crappy weather conditions as per usual this season!

3 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

It was a decent distance. Just been out in galeforce winds. Put up 6 hares all in the wrong position with the high winds for a fair slip.

Had some decent flying in the wind which made for a tidy workout. Mixed it up with calling to the fist and lure for her rations. So made the most of the crappy weather conditions as per usual this season!

Looking good! Out of interest when ferreting with birds do you slip whilst the rabbits bolted? Does the bird ever go for the ferret? Might be a stupid question ??‍♂️