Sighthound Sensitivity

Hows it going everyone, im new here. Ive had an interest in getting a lurcher for a long time now. (I currently own a patterdale)... I was hoping to get some feedback from more experienced people. I live in Scotland, which as most know is pretty much winter every day of the year lol. 

I often see many sighthound breeds with jackets on. And have read that they can be pretty sensitive when it comes to the cold. This isnt something that really appeals to me. I want a dog that wont be phased much by my countrys weather conditions. Ideally id look for a cross that has the longer style coat, such as a beddy x whippet.... does what i hear hold some truth? Or should I not be concerned? Thanks for any help. 

• Like 1

Over here in Oz the heat is a concern and I don't run the whippet lurchers in Summer.Gets pretty cold here in up in the mountains in Winter but I've never had a problem when they are working.I keep my dogs inside in Winter when at home,the little slightly built dogs can't handle being constantly cold but neither can my pit crosses.If you want really fast dogs they won't have much body fat.

• Thanks 1

Like others have said ,it depends on individual dog..my bed/whip/grey had a cracking coat on him,never wire a coat in any weather..my broken coated bed/whip/collie/grey/deerhound dont like the cold,but rains no bother.Surprisingly my non peds impervious to cold/rain...thick skinned,nice double coat..apart from his bald arse lol..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My beddy lurchers coat isn't the best doesn't do anything for him very open coated-does seem to suffer in heat but maybe not coat related with it being so fine. My mates 1st x completely different type of coat. Had a 1/4  collie cross smooth coated dog and had good thick jacket on them.  My dads got a supposed wheaten grey x whipp grey, coats finer than a pure whippet ?

• Thanks 1