Badger meat.

My grandad used to tell me about eating badger hams , he said they would be smoked up the chimmock ( old Gloucestershire word for chimney) . I think it was more out of necessity than it being a delicacy . Christ they used to eat anything in them days , nothing was wasted. He used to make chitterlings, now they really are an acquired taste . And cows udder was eaten , it had to be soaked in brine for ages . One thing he did cook , that you don’t see around much and is delicious are sweetbreads, he used to dredge them in flour and fry them in saved bacon fat . Another favourite of mine that he made was Brawn , he used to get a pigs head and jelly the meat of it . You can still buy it in butchers near me , I’m not sure if it’s a bit of a Gloucestershire thing , like black pudding up north .

• Like 5

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too much Badger... lol

My grandad used to tell me about eating badger hams , he said they would be smoked up the chimmock ( old Gloucestershire word for chimney) . I think it was more out of necessity than it being a delica

That protection been lifted mate .Being killed by the thousands every year now .Like a desert round us places now regarding them BUT hedgehogs are making a comeback and ground nesting birds are doing

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

My grandad used to tell me about eating badger hams , he said they would be smoked up the chimmock ( old Gloucestershire word for chimney) . I think it was more out of necessity than it being a delicacy . Christ they used to eat anything in them days , nothing was wasted. He used to make chitterlings, now they really are an acquired taste . And cows udder was eaten , it had to be soaked in brine for ages . One thing he did cook , that you don’t see around much and is delicious are sweetbreads, he used to dredge them in flour and fry them in saved bacon fat . Another favourite of mine that he made was Brawn , he used to get a pigs head and jelly the meat of it . You can still buy it in butchers near me , I’m not sure if it’s a bit of a Gloucestershire thing , like black pudding up north .

Used to be bath chaps , trotters and tails here when Harris’s was running .Bath chaps are pigs cheeks dipped in breadcrumbs and boiled same as trotters and tails .

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

i have made brawn with pigs head its very nice and moreish .also faggots are great as my mum made and she was from gloucester......

• Like 1
10 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I was badger digging a few years back in Germany to control for a hunting syndicate. Those lads were saying cured badger meat was still a thing locally to them. Unfortunately never got a chance to try it. I definitely would of though.

Sweetbreads are nice ?

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

I was badger digging a few years back in Germany to control for a hunting syndicate. Those lads were saying cured badger meat was still a thing locally to them. Unfortunately never got a chance to try it. I definitely would of though.

Sweetbreads are nice ?

Are sweetbreads those throat glans or a posh name for scrotum, something I do now is to go to the butchers and buy a bag of chicken hearts they cost penny,s but are quite delicious like tasty little cocktail sausages, make a nice stew or just fry with garlic ✌️

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Are sweetbreads those throat glans or a posh name for scrotum, something I do now is to go to the butchers and buy a bag of chicken hearts they cost penny,s but are quite delicious like tasty little cocktail sausages, make a nice stew or just fry with garlic ✌️

Yes on the throat and you get heart sweetbreads too.

• Like 2