Keeping hounds off unwanted prey.

You need to keep on it mate . Years ago we had a bobbery mink pack and drafted in two ex fox hounds from Oxford .They were slow but not slow enough to lift the pack when they crossed a fox line .Few sharp taps and a couple kills later they were wed mate .It will be one hound usually .Keep a check on first speaker and see if he’s true .If your country is sparse on the right stuff you need a draft from a pack that’s true .Hounds being pack animals are quick to follow first speak and unless checked sight hunt the pack  instead of scenting .The older wed hounds will see through it but youngsters fall for it every time .Get  few people ahead and watch mate ,alternatively lay a trail of quarry in country cut by riots .

Pity you weren’t near as I’d love to see them mate .

• Like 4
On 19/10/2020 at 03:07, Who let the dogs out! said:

Has anyone got any tips on keeping hounds off rabbits, deer etc and keeping it on just wanted prey?

Shock collars maybe but I can't comment really,I can't even stop one crazy Parson Russell when he gets a whiff of pigs or deer lol.

If you no a keeper who can put some wheat in a pheasant pen with the door open to encourage deer in then close the door at the back of them then take one hound at a time in then reprimand it once sorted out take all of them in at once and see how they react,if you do it properly they shouldn’t even look at the deer,don’t use a dead one as there is a different scent from a dead animal to a live one and remember to leave the door open to let the deer go free,when I ran a pack any chance I got when out hunting to go where there were deer I went, you will end up with more places to hunt when hounds are 100% spot on,hope this helps,atb wf

• Like 1
On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 00:07, Aussie Whip said:

Shock collars maybe but I can't comment really,I can't even stop one crazy Parson Russell when he gets a whiff of pigs or deer lol.

I hunt with a lad with hounds,when mine hunt they hunt what the terrain holds and he is quick on the button to shock his hounds into hunting what he allows,it certainly works and the hounds suffer little more than a quick discomfort.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, morton said:

I hunt with a lad with hounds,when mine hunt they hunt what the terrain holds and he is quick on the button to shock his hounds into hunting what he allows,it certainly works and the hounds suffer little more than a quick discomfort.

Never hunted with hounds but the collars work pretty well and they learn quickly.One exception was a mate's patterdale he was trying to stock proof,it was shocked running at sheep but did backflips and kept chasing,psycho little dog,lol.

On 26/10/2020 at 00:58, Aussie Whip said:

Never hunted with hounds but the collars work pretty well and they learn quickly.One exception was a mate's patterdale he was trying to stock proof,it was shocked running at sheep but did backflips and kept chasing,psycho little dog,lol.

I tried to use a collar to stop a dog paying too much attention to other male dogs and in turn try to stop attacking. Didn’t work very well dog must of thought the other dog did the shock and attacked it ?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Who let the dogs out! said:

I tried to use a collar to stop a dog paying too much attention to other male dogs and in turn try to stop attacking. Didn’t work very well dog must of thought the other dog did the shock and attacked it ?

Yeah ,I never thought about using one for that purpose but you can understand the reaction in your dogs case.When you think of that,the patt may have connected the sheep to the pain and just added fuel to the fire.Good point about these collars.One reason a whip may be a better option.I don't hit my dogs generally but if it saves their lives it's ok imo.

Edited by Aussie Whip
On 28/10/2020 at 23:42, Aussie Whip said:

Yeah ,I never thought about using one for that purpose but you can understand the reaction in your dogs case.When you think of that,the patt may have connected the sheep to the pain and just added fuel to the fire.Good point about these collars.One reason a whip may be a better option.I don't hit my dogs generally but if it saves their lives it's ok imo.

Seen an episode on dog whisperer once and they used shock collars on dog as soon as they become fixated on a snake. It’s to stop them attacking them if they come across one and to stay away. Seemed to work in that case.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Who let the dogs out! said:

Seen an episode on dog whisperer once and they used shock collars on dog as soon as they become fixated on a snake. It’s to stop them attacking them if they come across one and to stay away. Seemed to work in that case.

That would be good if it worked having lost terriers to snakes in recent years.Do you remember what breed the dog/dogs were?I just can't see it working on hunting terriers as you have to see the fury in them when taking snakes out,I think the pain from the collars may add fuel to their fire.