Ferret problem

Hi all, I'm new here. I found this forum on the search. I’m a first time ferret owner and sadly we only have one right now. We’re trying to get here a friend but ferrets are impossible to find right now. We adopted this ferret and her previous owner told me she was the best ferret shes ever had and wasn’t destructive at all. WRONG, nothing is entertaining her or keeping her occupied, she’s torn up the carpet under the chimney and we’re RENTING! It will be an easy fix luckily but she’s tearing up the carpet everywhere, she has a dig box with rice but has no interest in it and won’t play, we’ve tried every toy ever to keep her happy and we try playing with her but she’s so insistent on tearing up this carpet and will dig around things we put on top of it, I read a lot about this. On top of it she’s dead set on getting into the kitchen which isn’t ferret safe and will jump Over the gate and everything. I’m so frustrated and I’m at my breaking point but I don’t want to give her away. But nothing is helping! What if we get another ferret and it doesn’t get better?!

Edited by Vasolbrmo

2 hours ago, Vasolbrmo said:

Hi all, I'm new here. I found this forum on the search. I’m a first time ferret owner and sadly we only have one right now. We’re trying to get here a friend but ferrets are impossible to find right now. We adopted this ferret and her previous owner told me she was the best ferret shes ever had and wasn’t destructive at all. WRONG, nothing is entertaining her or keeping her occupied, she’s torn up the carpet under the chimney and we’re RENTING! It will be an easy fix luckily but she’s tearing up the carpet everywhere, she has a dig box with rice but has no interest in it and won’t play, we’ve tried every toy ever to keep her happy and we try playing with her but she’s so insistent on tearing up this carpet and will dig around things we put on top of it. On top of it she’s dead set on getting into the kitchen which isn’t ferret safe and will jump Over the gate and everything. I’m so frustrated and I’m at my breaking point but I don’t want to give her away. But nothing is helping! What if we get another ferret and it doesn’t get better?!

Get yourself a hammer, take a firm grip of the ferret and then whack yourself on the fcuking head  for adopting something you know fcuk all about

• Haha 6

Ferrets are instinctively over curious and by proxy, destructive. They will find scratching your carpet to get at a scent, far more appealing than chilling back. In my opinion they should be kept in a court or a hutch and worked, not running around your living room during X-Factor. As said; pass it onto a good working home, with someone who knows what they're doing ;)

• Like 1

Easy for us to be harsh, I only let ours in the house once a year at Christmas ? so God knows what mine would do confined in a room 24/7. Unfortunately though, that ferret is clearly not happy. I only know one pet owner well and he spends a lot of time with his, playing with them, creating new spaces with boxes and the like, critically he walks them every day etc. If you get a harness plus lead and get him out and commit to finding a ferret mate then hang in there. Otherwise he will be happier elsewhere

Check out the Holistic Ferret forum.  They will give you constructive advice on how to cope with her.  She does sound like a very typical ferret.  Mine are all kept in the house , plus have an outdoor pen, and I don't have any problems with them.  There is minimum odor if they're fed a natural (raw/whole prey) diet.

Each to there own but i am not for keeping a ferret in my house . Fine if you own your house but your renting are you allowed pets ?. Will the landlord be impressed if he does a check and finds out 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The one said:

Each to there own but i am not for keeping a ferret in my house . Fine if you own your house but your renting are you allowed pets ?. Will the landlord be impressed if he does a check and finds out 

I've rented various houses during the 24 years I've owned and bred ferrets/hybrids and never had any problems with the landlord(s).  My first question was, "Will you allow ferrets?"  If not, I kept looking.

On 18/10/2020 at 17:30, ferret lady said:

I've rented various houses during the 24 years I've owned and bred ferrets/hybrids and never had any problems with the landlord(s).  My first question was, "Will you allow ferrets?"  If not, I kept looking.

Say what you want but there's nobody would be renting a house from me with House Ferrets , Christ going up the garden in the summer you can smell the hobs in all there glory LOL 

• Haha 1