The topic of price of terriers has come up a few times on other threads and Iv often wonder what or if  people Would  be willing to pay for a 100% Working terrier in your chosen type of work, now this is only a bit of fun and just a conversation starter. But if this mythical creature was to come up for sale What would you all be willing to pay or are you strictly in the camp of not paying for working dogs? Now I know peoples money situations are all different some have more than others. If the dog was right I think I’d be willing to pay a good sum off money, if I had it at the time that is. Or would you lads prefer to breed your own and that’s how you get satisfaction from the dogs seeing something you bred doing the job. Like I say it’s only a bit of lighthearted conversation.

Id pay for a dog i wanted but they get snapped up almost straight away, lads that breed for themselves and their mates, they would be the best pups i think but very few end up for sale, most others these days just want as much coin as they can get for their pups

• Like 1

At certain times a working dog is needed straight away,id pay an healthy amount of brass for the right dog at the time its most needed.Id rather breed my own or wait for a gift but theres nothing worse than getting into the season without a dog to enter.Ive had dogs nicked and been left with feck all,ive lost dogs and been left light and spent brass I could,nt really afford to get on again.The most I paid was £300 in the early eighties and that was a fortune to me,now that would be seen as small change for even a pup.

• Like 1

I think , working terriers for working lads.

a good home and decent crack of the whip is

Priceless to me.

there is something very pure in The working terrier

that you just can’t put a price on.

just my opinion ?

Soul destroying times , frustrating a lot of the time ,

with sudden changes in fortune... but that’s earth dogs.

ATB ..... Tony

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Rat face said:

The topic of price of terriers has come up a few times on other threads and Iv often wonder what or if  people Would  be willing to pay for a 100% Working terrier in your chosen type of work, now this is only a bit of fun and just a conversation starter. But if this mythical creature was to come up for sale What would you all be willing to pay or are you strictly in the camp of not paying for working dogs? Now I know peoples money situations are all different some have more than others. If the dog was right I think I’d be willing to pay a good sum off money, if I had it at the time that is. Or would you lads prefer to breed your own and that’s how you get satisfaction from the dogs seeing something you bred doing the job. Like I say it’s only a bit of lighthearted conversation.

This thing about working terriers being kept in close circles and the ownership of them being something akin to a religious cult is a load of bollocks. I do believe that some very dedicated folk do practice that religion and they have my upmost respect but they are the exception rather than the rule. Terriers have always changed hands for the right money, the right money being the something that can only be agreed upon by the seller and buyer. 

• Like 2

Im lucky enough to be in a close enough circle that if i need an extra dog for a season i can get one, it hasn't always been this way but over the last 5 or 6 years when ive bread litters, I've given pups to lads that are willing to help out when needed, ive loaned out a dog to help lads out, these are lads i trust and i can depend on, i would pay for a pup or dog if i realy want it, but not now when lads are taking the piss with the prices they are charging.

• Like 5

I wouldnae pay mer than 400 odd. Never huv either. And if any eh the lads i knew started chargin 1500 odd they'd hear fae me aboot it. I think its all on us. If we dinnae tolerate the prices then the pups wilnae shift. Deep doon there is pride in yer breeding, lads i know wid be gutted for there dugs tae sit aboot in some auld wumin's hoose! Stand yer ground and make yer opinions known. ✊

It's a good job they are few and far between honest genuine terriers been sold I would imagine they would be gifted to a digging friend as best interest for the terrier. In the unlikely event such a terrier came up I'm sure money wouldn't be an issue so a price tag could be anything the sky's the limit the highest bidder wins. That been said I did sell a working bitch years ago when I dug on my own to unknown men to me at the time and ended up a good turn around for all. Still to this day.

Edited by howdeeposxxt