Recession or not?

I'm currently working on a project which will see 200+ pop up job centres being installed around the UK. Such is the seriousness of this situation the gov has seen fit to spend 'a lot' of money on this extra capacity for the unemployed.

If your lucky enough to have work at the moment, no matter what or where, no matter how much you hate it just keep at it because we're heading to dark place and being a job seeker during that time is the last thing you want.

Edited by Coffee Table
  • Like 4

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liquidated my business over 5 years back and came out about straight, prior to that I was having to take 17k+ a week to break even, Im now in a recession proof job and Mrs works full time in hospita

I think a lot of people have been fiddling while Rome burned mate and with this second wave coming folks are starting to see this is for the long haul. My old industry is decimated, designers and

That crash of the late 80s / early 90s was brutal, lads were chucking themselves off buildings and all sorts. Bloke I know had 300 people working on Canary Wharf on the Monday and on the Tuesday

10 minutes ago, sid g said:

me n the mrs  stood the local flea/second hand  market  a few week ago to clear some old antique and car boot stock  and took 1200 quid and then another 600 on the car boot   talking to an old mate whos got a junk shop says hes doing better than normal ..... some people will come out the other end of this ok others will struggle  batten down the hatches its make do n mend time .

Hello ,    how much fek me , lol bung us a couple of quid theres a good lad,,  only joking matey good luck to you   ive sold a couple of bits down town on the market , didn't get much but it got me out for a couple of hrs and treated missen to fish n chips

14 hours ago, Qbgrey said:

Very strange times fellas,just like everyone's thoughts on this if that's ok.?my phone went mental  with this last lockdown,been flat out all year,so have  many of my mates in  construction  too.but I've noticed my phone has not been ringing constantly recently.what does,dark eves,colder weather,Xmas break,another lockdown etc etc mean.

Sorry I have not read all the reply’s, but a financial crash has been on the cards for the last two or three years, when the shelf stacker in your local supermarket turns up for work in a new merc or  bmw the writing is already on the wall, only thing that will be different to the big crash at the end of the 80s is that hopefully the pricks in charge realised that sending the interest rates through the roof is not the answer and there is already much talk in the finance industry of going into negative interest next year to stimulate growth, I foresaw this coming several years ago, which is why I am in the process of putting tenants in my house and moving to a much smaller more cost effective property, there will be a lot of stimulus fired at people in coming months like 100% mortgages again etc, it can be a good time to make money if you can see it coming, problem being most people don’t see it or want to hear it and just carry on buying on tick and racking up the credit cards, until the factory they work in closes the door and flicks them the bird, it’s all just a game and if people fail to see the obvious they deserve to loose sadly, that’s how the rich keep you in your place ?

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, sid g said:

me n the mrs  stood the local flea/second hand  market  a few week ago to clear some old antique and car boot stock  and took 1200 quid and then another 600 on the car boot   talking to an old mate whos got a junk shop says hes doing better than normal ..... some people will come out the other end of this ok others will struggle  batten down the hatches its make do n mend time .

Out of likes mate, there’s going to be a lot of kit floating about that’s for sure.

Trouble is there are going to be a lot of people buying jobs and doing the normal race to the bottom shit too meaning anything that is about won’t be achieving the value it could or should.

I just missed out on a decent clearance this year, 26 floors of kit and some prick came in and did it for the cost of the transport ! .......there was no need like, I don’t mind missing out on stuff because that’s life but that job should have been a decent little earner at a time when anyone who got would have needed it, now it’s just turnover and the client is laughing all the way to the bank........ludicrous like.

Second hand always comes to the fore in lean times but I think it’s going to be a case of the “need” industries will outdo the “want” industries for a little while.

There won’t be much play money around that’s for sure 

11 hours ago, eastcoast said:

Lots of people were spending on home/garden improvements due to not forking out on holidays this year. A feast for the one man in a van types. The famine will follow.

I'm flat out doing hobbles after work and weekends... Putting in stupid quotes... People are paying them?Doubling my money a week... Mrs has just lost most of her hrs... Grand down a month now... Good job we started shopping for Xmas a few months back?

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

I'm flat out doing hobbles after work and weekends... Putting in stupid quotes... People are paying them?Doubling my money a week... Mrs has just lost most of her hrs... Grand down a month now... Good job we started shopping for Xmas a few months back?

There is a large percentage of the population that could not even tell you were the dipstick on your car is, anyone that can and does do real physical work will always find something, it’s the non essential pen pushers sat in a warm dry air conned office selling motivational speeches and other nonsenses we can live without who will be the first to feel it, especially as they also live a very nice credit lifestyle that crumbles after a fortnight of no wages, in the 80s crash my boss at the time lost his million pound house, the  nice cars and foreign holidays, I just became a maintenance man for rolls Royce and pulled my belt in a bit ??

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Greyman said:

There is a large percentage of the population that could not even tell you were the dipstick on your car is, anyone that can and does do real physical work will always find something, it’s the non essential pen pushers sat in a warm dry air conned office selling motivational speeches and other nonsenses we can live without who will be the first to feel it, especially as they also live a very nice credit lifestyle that crumbles after a fortnight of no wages, in the 80s crash my boss at the time lost his million pound house, the  nice cars and foreign holidays, I just became a maintenance man for rolls Royce and pulled my belt in a bit ??

That crash of the late 80s / early 90s was brutal, lads were chucking themselves off buildings and all sorts.

Bloke I know had 300 people working on Canary Wharf on the Monday and on the Tuesday he had nothing......Olympia & York went skint and that was that.

But the world turns, he brought himself back and we are all still sitting here talking about it so there you go........I for one hope it’s brutal enough to get the government off peoples back and allow them to thrive easily.

Too many demands and too much regulation, take that off people’s shoulders and any downturn won’t last as long 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, WILF said:

That crash of the late 80s / early 90s was brutal, lads were chucking themselves off buildings and all sorts.

Bloke I know had 300 people working on Canary Wharf on the Monday and on the Tuesday he had nothing......Olympia & York went skint and that was that.

But the world turns, he brought himself back and we are all still sitting here talking about it so there you go........I for one hope it’s brutal enough to get the government off peoples back and allow them to thrive easily.

Too many demands and too much regulation, take that off people’s shoulders and any downturn won’t last as long 

I was in my 20s baby’s and mortgage, was doing 6 days and 2 nights work a week just to survive, most of my mates went into massive negative equity’s on property’s and just chucked the keys at the estate agents and walked away, my Nan always told me if you want something save up and buy it then you will always appreciate it, now we live in a world of easy come easy go and live beyond our means, will see all those neighbours with the new q7 on the driveway going broke again, it’s just another cycle of taking everything back they have allowed you to earn over the last 10 years ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always said people who have got the house ,cars,sofa,wash machine,new kitchen,etc,etc on finance will be the ones to make this crash happen,you rarely see a old banger on the roads nowadays.its the shops that encourage it,no no no you may have 500 cash on you for a oven,but why don't you buy this oven for 2000 and pay monthly.ffs were in a keep up with neighbours game here.im happy with my tipper and 1.8mill house.??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

I had some work done recently. Needed a new perimeter fence and the back garden was paved. Unfortunately I don't need that kind of set up now so decided to lift the slabs and do some basic landscaping. No way would my back be up to it now so as much as it pained me I decided to pay someone else to do the hard graft. I phoned some contacts but had no joy, one of the lads has a full order book until February 2021. So ended calling/emailing random companies. Not one answered the phone or returned email and must have left voice messages with at least six businesses with no comeback. I eventually stopped the car when driving past someone doing that type of work and talked him into taking on the job. To be fair to him he was looking forward to a few days off between jobs as had been grafting solid for weeks. The people who didn't return my calls? Obviously they are enjoying the feast at present but ignoring potential client enquires is no way to prepare for the famine and I was in no great rush to get the work done. Take it when you can or fill your book as you are doing.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I had some work done recently. Needed a new perimeter fence and the back garden was paved. Unfortunately I don't need that kind of set up now so decided to lift the slabs and do some basic landscaping. No way would my back be up to it now so as much as it pained me I decided to pay someone else to do the hard graft. I phoned some contacts but had no joy, one of the lads has a full order book until February 2021. So ended calling/emailing random companies. Not one answered the phone or returned email and must have left voice messages with at least six businesses with no comeback. I eventually stopped the car when driving past someone doing that type of work and talked him into taking on the job. To be fair to him he was looking forward to a few days off between jobs as had been grafting solid for weeks. The people who didn't return my calls? Obviously they are enjoying the feast at present but ignoring potential client enquires is no way to prepare for the famine and I was in no great rush to get the work done. Take it when you can or fill your book as you are doing.

Its a bit like that,but trying to get the right kind of guys to work with construction firms is difficult.i struggle to find decent lads that take pride in thier job and work clean  and tidy.but I always answer calls and be honest about time scale on starting a job if flat out.i don't put my prices up when flat out either,cause when times may be not so busy people will remember you.

23 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

Its a bit like that,but trying to get the right kind of guys to work with construction firms is difficult.i struggle to find decent lads that take pride in thier job and work clean  and tidy.but I always answer calls and be honest about time scale on starting a job if flat out.i don't put my prices up when flat out either,cause when times may be not so busy people will remember you.

I also still work in construction and you sound switched on. There are many levels and with us mark - ups are now dictated by the Client's QS' . They push to the bare bones on quotes to the point where some buy work hoping to make something on variations. Busy fools. No matter what the size of a business, the quality of your lads who actually do the install is as important as it ever was.

Edited by eastcoast
  • Like 3
21 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I also still work in construction and you sound switched on. There are many levels and with us mark - ups are now dictated by the Client's QS' . They push to the bare bones on quotes to the point where some buy work hoping to make something on variations. Busy fools. No matter what the size of a business, the quality of your lads who actually do the install is as important as it ever was.

Yes too true,I always price to the spec on the drawings,but often find other builders re write thier quote ,totalling  ignoring  the architect's  spec so put jablite in on insulation,just so they win the job then ramp up the bill .

I liquidated my business over 5 years back and came out about straight, prior to that I was having to take 17k+ a week to break even, Im now in a recession proof job and Mrs works full time in hospitality which could be touch and go, we'll get by but having said that, between us we've 85 years worth of working life behind us ? f**k knows what's gonna happen for the people in their twenties etc

Cheers, D.

• Like 7