• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going back to the start of this thread, thank you all for your help and advice,I have decided and purchased the 22.250 on my ticket, a Tikka T3x Stainless, first outing after zeroing rifle the same da

I don’t think so mate , I don’t think that’s how it works. In any organisation, if the boss starts overruling the staff it’s a sure fire way to create bad feeling . And it’s rocking the boat , you cou

The main problem I have with BASC is they are a multimillion pound business now and don’t offer its members good value for money, instead of using its vast amount of money to support mr average joe bl

3 hours ago, foxdropper said:

The feo certainly does have a say on your variation mate .Ours is a diamond .Same day if you ring early  and have a chop in letter in hand .

Agreed, they do all the legwork, hey are the ones that see you face to face, they give a recommendation one way or tother, licencing officers listen to that recommendation, and more often than not they go with what’s said.

our new one (After a reshuffle) is a good one, proper shooting man, sensible, understands what language your talking, knows calibres, can’t fault him.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, foxdropper said:

The feo certainly does have a say on your variation mate .Ours is a diamond .Same day if you ring early  and have a chop in letter in hand .

He sends you chops, in letters?

Sounds bit strange. Was he a butcher or something?

?

• Haha 3
On 17/10/2020 at 22:15, Meece said:

Well, 24 hours and more has passed without comment from anyone.  What does this indicate.?  .... no one has any opinion. ?  No one gives a flying f**k.? .... people are taking their time to collect their thoughts and opinions.? Hmm.  My opinion is that the whole firearms thing is a complete shambles from top to bottom. Shooters apply for stuff that they will never use.  Plod haven't got a clue about their job or which end is the pointy bit and make it up as they go along and the orgs are just a useless self serving thing.  Still you did get a reply.....  And you do get four (is it.?) Mags for your money and shooting insurance (which you can get for 30 quid from ccc3... And others). Right... a few weeks ago I was in conversation with a foe and he did say that they wouldn't give a 243 to a first time applicant but if you've got 22lr your not. I can't see that there is a massive difference in lethality between a 22.250 and a 243. Same parent case different bullet. The way I see this is that plod is sort of varying the mentoring thing that was the thing they had going a couple of years ago. That was a load of nonsense and so is this....  the options... supply valid reasons for the issue.....  Get a 22.250  Wait and re apply for a 243 later. Go on a course, but that ain't no guarantee.   Get someone to vouch that you have got experience but that could mean that plod conditions that the (mentor) has to be with you when you use the rifle.!!.... I  had this when I vouched for one of the son in laws about three years ago.  They said ok you can have the gun;  but he has to be accompanied by me when he uses it. The time wasn't specified so in theory it was for the five years.!! OR more ,!!! Still you did get a reply for your 100 quid  membership. ... unless basic are going to fight your corner for you and sort it out .?   ( did I  just  see a pig go flying past on a  carpet)  ( no I think that it was the man in the  moon ). Please let us know how this pans out and what you do next.

No it isn't the same parent case.

The parent case for 22.250 is 250 3000 savage.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, ianm said:

No it isn't the same parent case.

The parent case for 22.250 is 250 3000 savage.

Thank you for re advising  me of this recurring mistake.  Brain block issue on this one.  I'll  have to walk round chanting  250 3000 savage.  Like lines. ???. The stupid thing is that I  do know this. Once one is one, two twos are four seven sevens are fourty nine.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
On 15/10/2020 at 18:30, goldfinger said:

A few weeks ago I put in a centerfire variation  for a 243 I already had 22.250 on my ticket but decided to hold back and find some land with deer on that the farmer wanted controlling hoping to be able to get a 243 that covered me for everything and only buy one rifle,the land was inspected and passed in part for the caliber, the Fao phoned telling that they were refusing the variation on the grounds only that  I had no experience of shooting deer, this was there only reason,they told me to re-apply after I had  some stalking experience, is this a legal requirement and can they insist on this before granting.previously I had told them that I had done a hell of alot research on this subject and was a very confident of humanely dispatching a deer, also that I had a lot of years in the army shooting similar and bigger calibres and new with confidence how centerfire rounds behave,I felt very insulted that they though I needed this experience,all my life I have been involved in some sort of vermin control and believe me that's a lot of years.

Going back to the start of this thread, thank you all for your help and advice,I have decided and purchased the 22.250 on my ticket, a Tikka T3x Stainless, first outing after zeroing rifle the same day I nailed at vixen at around the 150 mark,put a central group of three round at 200 mtrs 2" group on a steel 8" target they all zipped right through the 1/4" steel plate so very happy with rifles performance, need better steel though.

As for the Deer Calibre 243,to many hoops to jump through for me at this moment in time,in my book its all about enjoying the sport,the Deer even thought very important to control will have to wait for the time being, the land owner is very sympathetic and agrees with me, he is a good mate of mine as well which helps.

In the future when i'm ready to pursue the 243 again I will be better prepared for the FAO. 

• Like 6
34 minutes ago, goldfinger said:

Going back to the start of this thread, thank you all for your help and advice,I have decided and purchased the 22.250 on my ticket, a Tikka T3x Stainless, first outing after zeroing rifle the same day I nailed at vixen at around the 150 mark,put a central group of three round at 200 mtrs 2" group on a steel 8" target they all zipped right through the 1/4" steel plate so very happy with rifles performance, need better steel though.

As for the Deer Calibre 243,to many hoops to jump through for me at this moment in time,in my book its all about enjoying the sport,the Deer even thought very important to control will have to wait for the time being, the land owner is very sympathetic and agrees with me, he is a good mate of mine as well which helps.

In the future when i'm ready to pursue the 243 again I will be better prepared for the FAO. 

Enjoy your new gun mate 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, goldfinger said:

I can fully appreciate your reasons for buying a 22.250 instead of taking the licensing authority on. 

However i think it is sad that your decision has just made it harder for the next person because you have let them get away with it.

• Like 1
On 27/10/2020 at 10:13, ianm said:

I can fully appreciate your reasons for buying a 22.250 instead of taking the licensing authority on. 

However i think it is sad that your decision has just made it harder for the next person because you have let them get away with it.

Yerr, next thing it’ll be no deer calibres without DSC. Like this doctors letter for grants and renewals. Started off in lincs, now it’s spreading all over. A bit like bloody covid ?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2020 at 20:24, goldfinger said:

Anyone on here got there 22.250 conditioned for Muntjac?

On 26/10/2020 at 20:24, goldfinger said:

When you want deer, put in for .30PRC Deer Rifle that will make him wet himself.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
On 09/11/2020 at 21:49, goldfinger said:

Anyone on here got there 22.250 conditioned for Muntjac?

I would think most people have their rifles AOLQ so if the calibre is is actually legal for that particular quarry it is automatically "conditioned".

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, ianm said:

I would think most people have their rifles AOLQ so if the calibre is is actually legal for that particular quarry it is automatically "conditioned".

That was going to my next question, it states "and any other lawful quarry" on my 22.250 so it is after all already conditioned for Muntjac.  

• Like 3