1 hour ago, Gooner said:

I had exactly the same happen to me, was granted a .223 but told that I would need to get a mentor to vouch for me if I wanted .243 for deer. A really strange carry on I wonder if it is something the FAO are told to do by others above ?

Same thing happened to a mate of mine.  He had a .222 for 30 years plus and had to be mentored for his .243.  I had to have a mentor for my .223

• Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going back to the start of this thread, thank you all for your help and advice,I have decided and purchased the 22.250 on my ticket, a Tikka T3x Stainless, first outing after zeroing rifle the same da

I don’t think so mate , I don’t think that’s how it works. In any organisation, if the boss starts overruling the staff it’s a sure fire way to create bad feeling . And it’s rocking the boat , you cou

The main problem I have with BASC is they are a multimillion pound business now and don’t offer its members good value for money, instead of using its vast amount of money to support mr average joe bl

9 hours ago, Alsone said:

If you're on fb and in any way connected to the BASC you'll find they're now quite active. I believe they're challenging WJ in Court, and almost everyday their lobbying MP's / making press statements in support of shooting. Far better position than where shooting effectively tried not to be noticed most of the time.

https://www.(!64.56:886/BASCuk/posts/3396081767092411

Having said that as a positive, for me the withdrawal of the licensing insurance to fund it was the wrong move. They could have self insured to save money.

The main problem I have with BASC is they are a multimillion pound business now and don’t offer its members good value for money, instead of using its vast amount of money to support mr average joe bloggs they spend all there time organising events to make more money. I’ve known a few paid up members that have needed help and they have been told basically to tow the line or there’s nothing we can do for you. BASC likes to be seen as the conservationists and constantly bang the grouse moor drum, supporting the management of massive shooting estates and although these estates do do some good environmental work they are primarily a business and making money comes first ( I could tell you some stories about what goes on on these estates but this is not the place ) 

BASC- ran by the rich, funded by the poor to support the rich ( that doesn’t sit right with me )

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the police are aware of getting sued should they issue a ticket to an untrained person ,at least that’s the way I see it .They wont admit that but seems feasible .Ive just done the dsc1 and enjoyed it .Didnt need it as I’ve had the .243 for 15 years plus a recent . 308 .and all the stalking I could ever need .

Times have changed though I’m afraid and you either change with them or lose out I’ve found .Ive been asked in the past if I had any training for insurance purposes but always brushed the conversation somehow .

The dsc1 isn’t  a quick fix to stalking and  should be followed by the mentoring system to my mind but rarely is .

Id of thought having access to deer and written permission for such was ample reason but I’m not your chief of police .

• Like 1

TBH I fail to see how they could be sued if they followed the Home Office Guidelines. To sue sucessfully you have to show negligence and you're going to struggle to show negligence if they have followed the official Home Office Licensing Guidance to the letter.

• Like 1
On 20/10/2020 at 09:12, Alsone said:

If you're on fb and in any way connected to the BASC you'll find they're now quite active. I believe they're challenging WJ in Court, and almost everyday their lobbying MP's / making press statements in support of shooting. Far better position than where shooting effectively tried not to be noticed most of the time.

https://www.(!64.56:886/BASCuk/posts/3396081767092411

I just look on that as a load of propoganda guff. How do all these anti groups such as kwis and the gen licence issue run rings around basic . Our lot just look like a bunch of incompetent hooray Henry's.  Jobs issued for the boys.  The amount of people that I know who have contacted them for help and advice and been told not to rock the boat and basically to bugger off indicates to me that nationwide the numbers must be pretty high. Most people join for the insurance because they don't know any bettter. How do they help the membership on a day to day basis. I'm  not interested in motoring reviews of a fwd that they've  been issued with or how someone has been sponsored by xyz to shoot some competition. AND I definitely do not want to be harrassed about taking some credit card or buying raffle tickets or a load of stalls selling exorbitantly overpriced tat at a show somewhere on the pretext of it being in support of the countryside.  Promoting themselves as some sort of PR outfit is up the wrong road. Start by getting your insurance cover at low price.  If the membership dropped rapidly it might focus them on the essentials. 

Edited by Meece
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Meece said:

I just look on that as a load of propoganda guff. How do all these anti groups such as kwis and the gen licence issue run rings around basic . Our lot just look like a bunch of incompetent hooray Henry's.  Jobs issued for the boys.  The amount of people that I know who have contacted them for help and advice and been told not to rock the boat and basically to bugger off indicates to me that nationwide the numbers must be pretty high. Most people join for the insurance because they don't know any bettter. How do they help the membership on a day to day basis. I'm  not interested in motoring reviews of a fwd that they've  been issued with or how someone has been sponsored by xyz to shoot some competition. AND I definitely do not want to be harrassed about taking some credit card or buying raffle tickets or a load of stalls selling exorbitantly overpriced tat at a show somewhere on the pretext of it being in support of the countryside. I'd be a bit more Interested if they sold cheap cartridges, rifle ammunition,  .22 ammo, and every sort of shooting equipment going.  Promoting themselves as some sort of PR outfit is up the wrong road. Start by getting your insurance cover at low price.  If the membership dropped rapidly it might focus them on the essentials. 

I agee with a lot of what you say. However, I see fighting for a rights as a fundamental if shooting is to have a future. Without challenge, groups such as WJ will simply get everything banned. Shooting has for too long been silent and just hidden away hoping we wouldn't get noticed. We've been an easy target for ill thought out knee jerk show legislation everytime something has happened. I agree it could be better, but the BASC finally recognising a need to fight is a step in the right direction.

I agree entirely with your other thoughts though.

Shooting news can be left to shooting magazines. If they're going to give us a magazine, make it interesting or better still, scrap their own mag and give everyone a copy of The shooting Times every month. I bet it would cost less than printing their own 1/4rly magazine in a bulk deal. It would also keep that magazine afloat helping shooting by ensuring there's a shooting magazine on the shelf. For airgun members could be a tie up with eg Airgun World. 

I also agree, that they should concentrate on member benefits such as discounted guns, ammunition and other equipment. Again maybe a tie up with a major retailer eg Sportsman Gun Centre or some other big national offering a substancial discount eg 20% off everything. Maybe as you suggest as well, their own supply of discounted ammo despatched either from BASC headquarters or direct from the manufacturer provided minimu quantities or postage weren't too high. eg a tie up with Gamebore or Hull, and Hornady.

Edited by Alsone
3 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

phone the feo and tell him you are sending your application back in if he does not agree to that tell him you will be contacting the chief constable i am sure he will change his mind as its the chief constable who decides what you get and dont get

I don’t think so mate , I don’t think that’s how it works. In any organisation, if the boss starts overruling the staff it’s a sure fire way to create bad feeling . And it’s rocking the boat , you could find that any further dealings with the team will be met with resistance . It shouldn’t I know but I bet it will . It’s a bit like why I’m reluctant to send food back in an Indian restaurant, we have all heard what the kitchen staff do into your curry .?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
15 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I don’t think so mate , I don’t think that’s how it works. In any organisation, if the boss starts overruling the staff it’s a sure fire way to create bad feeling . And it’s rocking the boat , you could find that any further dealings with the team will be met with resistance . It shouldn’t I know but I bet it will . It’s a bit like why I’m reluctant to send food back in an Indian restaurant, we have all heard what the kitchen staff do into your curry .?

I agree. It's the licensing manager, usually a Sergeant or Inspector, not the FEO or Chief Constabkle who makes the decisions. In theory a Chief Constable could overrule a licensing manager, but in practice he wouldn't. He hasn't looked at the case, it's not his job, and there's too much at stake if anything went tits up. 

A little bit off topic, but I’d be interested in a few other opinions

ive just had a phone call from a mate of mine, he has resubmitted a shotgun grant form after having both his FAC and SGC revoked 4 years ago following a domestic incident, ( no charges ) now this is the second time he’s had it taken off him, the first time was for drink driving and common assault ( the first time he got everything back after 12 months), now firearms have rang him today asking why he wants it back, he told them he’s a part time game keeper ( which he is, sort of ) and the lad who runs the shoot will vouch for him. Firearms said there’s a 50/50 chance of him getting it back, now I like the lad, but if they are willing to sign that off for a third time in my mind that is mental

discuss ?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Alsone said:

I agee with a lot of what you say. However, I see fighting for a rights as a fundamental if shooting is to have a future. Without challenge, groups such as WJ will simply get everything banned. Shooting has for too long been silent and just hidden away hoping we wouldn't get noticed. We've been an easy target for ill thought out knee jerk show legislation everytime something has happened. I agree it could be better, but the BASC finally recognising a need to fight is a step in the right direction.

I agree entirely with your other thoughts though.

Shooting news can be left to shooting magazines. If they're going to give us a magazine, make it interesting or better still, scrap their own mag and give everyone a copy of The shooting Times every month. I bet it would cost less than printing their own 1/4rly magazine in a bulk deal. It would also keep that magazine afloat helping shooting by ensuring there's a shooting magazine on the shelf. For airgun members could be a tie up with eg Airgun World. 

I also agree, that they should concentrate on member benefits such as discounted guns, ammunition and other equipment. Again maybe a tie up with a major retailer eg Sportsman Gun Centre or some other big national offering a substancial discount eg 20% off everything. Maybe as you suggest as well, their own supply of discounted ammo despatched either from BASC headquarters or direct from the manufacturer provided minimu quantities or postage weren't too high. eg a tie up with Gamebore or Hull, and Hornady.

*********** HAD A BIG RETHINK **************

No none of it.  I WOULDN'T  WANT BASIC INVOLVED IN ANY OF IT.  IT WOULD UNDERMINE GUNSHOPS AND OTHER COMPANIES AND GIVE US LESS CHOICE.  And it would give those wasters a bigger lever to say that they represented us which they certainly don't.  I've a good mind to see if I  can't go back and delete that stupid idea that I had before some bright spark tells them that it might be a good idea. the insurance companies should advertise about the comprehensive  shooting insurance cover that they provide for £30 and strangle basic off.  Die you b*****ds, Die

Edit.  DONE.  I  deleted that stupid idea. !   Get back and delete that reply..  exterminate.

Edited by Meece
  • Haha 3
10 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I would be amazed if he got them back after losing them twice .

The crazy thing is the lad at firearms said it’s not his decision but he couldn’t see a reason why he couldn’t have them back ? WHAT, what about the twice he’s had them took off him before, both related to violent offences, the world’s mad

• Like 1