22 yr old.

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’m disappointed in hearing a Welshman say that Mate. 
 When I was a younger lad , lived in a smallish town in the south. It was a long old drag hone for a lot of us so we used to stay there at weekends . There was a core four who did , and we became best mates over time with living and working together almost daily for four years . 
there was me from Cumbria

a South African lad

a cockney boy who just could t face the m25 ???

abd a Welsh lad from port talbot who would start drinking at 5 on a Friday and finish at 2 on a Monday ??

as we’d walk hone from a night out he’d always sing one of two songs , you could tell his mood from the opening line it was either “and we we’re singing hymns and arias” or another one. 

anyway eventually we all drifted apart ad we do in life and we rarely see each other now. 

last year I was driving hone In the rain and I had radio two on. the Welsh gardener Fella who gives advice was chatting away and eventually as he touched on his goodbyes to the show he mentioned it was the anniversary of a Welsh mining disaster and jeremy vine extended the interview and pressed him further . The old boy eventually conceded he knew some of the lads killed and that he was one of the first in the scene . You could tell his emotion by his voice. As the interview concluded the strains of my pals Song started . 

after a verse or two , I pulled over into the hard shoulder and sat , I’m not ashamed to say I wept buckets at the mans tale but also I think I was crying for my friends in that nostalgic feeling you get when you know things will never be like that again . 

music has a funny effect on you like that. 

Great post...

Songs bring back memories regularly for me and that "funny effect" is a great feeling when you remember people or times as soon as the first few lines are sung..

• Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just the sound of rain on my tarp ....and I'm back in Nam ,the rainy season ..the rice paddies ..Charlie whispering in the dark... Lt Bukowski whimpering bout missing home ....the cries of the wounded

I was gonna reply Max but I was going to say Paul Weller was writing great stuff when he was in his teens. No need for you to be so confrontational and bombastic in your posts. Basic manners

Who remembers years ago when the The Sun gave a monkey some paint and paper, they framed his daubs and set them up in a little gallery and then got a load of these poncy art critic types down there to

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Great post...

Songs bring back memories regularly for me and that "funny effect" is a great feeling when you remember people or times as soon as the first few lines are sung..

I In ow exactly that Feeling mate , I get it with loads of songs but billy ocean Caribbean queen and deadmaus I remember make the back of my hairs stand Up whenever I hear them 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Does anyone hear songs and it reminds them of ex-girlfriends, even though some you may have split up on bad terms with some at that moment you still feel the love. ?

Genuinely nearly choked on my coffee reading that . 

too funny and very close to home for me and a group of my pals Sat one night in his after we’d all been dumped realistically for being f***ing clowns altogether...

sat about 3 in the morning at his , all mortal and this came on mtv . 

“aw f***ing no this Again “ said my pal????

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Does anyone hear songs and it reminds them of ex-girlfriends, even though some you may have split up on bad terms with some at that moment you still feel the love. ?

This when I'm hanging out of her indoors?

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Genuinely nearly choked on my coffee reading that . 

too funny and very close to home for me and a group of my pals Sat one night in his after we’d all been dumped realistically for being f***ing clowns altogether...

sat about 3 in the morning at his , all mortal and this came on mtv . 

“aw f***ing no this Again “ said my pal????

It's true though, I've got a photographic memory with certain things and remember when and where I first heard a song if it has a certain meaning for me. ?

7 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

It's true though, I've got a photographic memory with certain things and remember when and where I first heard a song if it has a certain meaning for me. ?

I totally get that . I thought I was quite unique in that I get that completely all the time with even a smell. It triggers a memory cycle of a song , a place , weird how your memory works 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I totally get that . I thought I was quite unique in that I get that completely all the time with even a smell. It triggers a memory cycle of a song , a place , weird how your memory works 

It rids all the things that mean nothing to you and stores the things of importance......apart from things like where my car keys or wallet are. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

One whiff of vicks and I'm back in the POINT bouncing about to this Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This was my favourite song when I was little , I don’t Know why as it’s not anything I’d listen to or my mam would play at home. I just liked it . 

in 2010 I met a chick up town and tortured her into coming on a date with me the next Thursday. I pulled up at a shop near hers and she got in , after the usual shite of “how’s your week? “ “ you look nice “ “ what perfume you got on ? Cillit bang?” She was sat scrolling through my IPod and put that on. Of all the songs in an iPod with 25000 songs on she picked that. 

when you know , you know . 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Was going to mention smells in my previous post.

Songs and smells can instantly transport you right back to something you thought was gone forever....I genuinely love that feeling.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NEWKID said:

Was going to mention smells in my previous post.

Songs and smells can instantly transport you right back to something you thought was gone forever....I genuinely love that feeling.

alien perfume for me is a big one , it genuinely makes me wobble . ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No word of a lie I can remember the song my old man used to play when he tried to settle me as a baby, he used to play Love Me Tender, I can even remember staring the artex ceiling as he rocked me to sleep. 

f***ing crazy how I can remember something in the mid 80's whilst being so young. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1