My two Patts have started to run away to look for rabbits

I have two Patts (one female 18 months and one male unknown age). Both neutered.

They usually potter about my farm and stay with us while we work.

They have recently taken to buggering off to look for rabbits in the open hill grazing land (sheep). They don't come back and someone has to get them.

The situation is becoming impossible as they were found in the next door farm and the farmer is less than happy. They don't chase sheep but are looking for rabbits. They sneak off when our attention is elsewhere and have gone in a flash.

They will not come back until someone gets them back and so I am wondering how to train them to stay around or they will go on a tether while we work outside.

Any thoughts? They used to be so good but respect seems to have gone from them and they are too busy looking for bunnies to listen to us. It is coming up to lambing season and they will be shot unless I can get them under control.

They will not come when they are called either! Little feckers.

Thanks

Pignut

IMG_0920copy.jpg

My 2 year old Patt will f**k off when he feels like it, some days he will, others he'll not bother. There doesn't have to be any game around, I think it's a terrier thing and not much that can be done about it other than keeping them teathered or in a compound. Just my opinion.

put them on a teather is my advice a head strong terrier is ok while kept in line all the time but as soon as your distracted your no longer distracting them and there off try them at a bit of earth work there of age that will often calm them down or at least make them contempt that they have a purppose in live

I started having this problem with my pat, so I took him to a police dog trainer.

I have started recalling him with a tug rope in my hand and when he comes back shake the sh1t out of it with him, the idea being that this is what he would do if he ever caught a rabbit and if he can get this from you he has a higher success rate coming back to his master for it!

it is working slowly but surely so maybe worth a go!

good luck

My white lakeland constantly buggers off to look for rabbits! Luckily for me she just stands at the holes and marks them til I get there. Ive trained her to 'check' when I want her to do this and to 'come' when I want her back at my feet. This was a nightmare initially and took ages for her to do as she was told. Eventually, a positive reward (Treat) when she did come back and a negative reward (Completely ignored and put on the leash and taken home) when she didnt seemed to work, but believe me, it was not an easy task as she is a stubborn, head strong dog. It took a lot of patience and effort to get this problem sorted and even now I still have to reinforce this with her on occasions! :censored: Good luck. With sheer determination you will get there in the end. :victory:

Thanks chaps for all advice.

I think my problem is that I have two of the little feckers so they egg each other on and hunt together! On their own, they stay with me. Together they bugger off.

I have now got a new training regime and it seems to be working. We are on Day 2 so I am not actually holding my breath and obviously Day1 was a good day. I am working them in an indoor school (used for riding mostly) and making them walk with me and turn with me and listen to me. You teach them to "wait" and to go "this way" and they get a reward. Then you migrate onto a longer lead and keep going. We will see!

Also, I have decided that these two need constant daily training input - if you do that, then they are much nicer to be around. I was being too nice and treating them like pets rather than dogs. So no more, they work and earn their rewards. I am the boss! (today!)

Thanks again.

Pignut

• 3 weeks later...
Watch The Dog Whisperer on SKY the guy knows what he is talking about, terrier's have a very high prey drive but it can be controlled, they need teaching boundry control and limits by the sounds of it :gunsmilie:

good advice there from legend, dog whisper sky 3.. most nights at 6pm hes the business :big_boss:

Hi

I have just finished taking my pup to training classes, where we learnt all the basics, but also how to get your dog to respect you and come when called. The rope pull toy has worked a treat. You get the dog to play tug of war with you for no longer than 2 minutes at a time - then you put it away out of sight - just when he's getting into it. Don't let the dog get bored with the game, or leave the rope with him. Believe me, before long everytime the dog then sees the rope, you have his immediate attention. However, that's with just one dog, it might be a bit more tricky with two!

• 3 months later...
I have two Patts (one female 18 months and one male unknown age). Both neutered.

They usually potter about my farm and stay with us while we work.

They have recently taken to buggering off to look for rabbits in the open hill grazing land (sheep). They don't come back and someone has to get them.

The situation is becoming impossible as they were found in the next door farm and the farmer is less than happy. They don't chase sheep but are looking for rabbits. They sneak off when our attention is elsewhere and have gone in a flash.

They will not come back until someone gets them back and so I am wondering how to train them to stay around or they will go on a tether while we work outside.

Any thoughts? They used to be so good but respect seems to have gone from them and they are too busy looking for bunnies to listen to us. It is coming up to lambing season and they will be shot unless I can get them under control.

They will not come when they are called either! Little feckers.

Thanks

Pignut

IMG_0920copy.jpg

If you keep hunting dogs then expect them to hunt. It sounds like you want to ignore them while you work but expect them to stay in neutral. A terrier thrives on scent and needs little stimulation to take things forward. If you are busy why dont you put them up or get a pekanese. SORRY IF THAT CAME OUT AGGRESSIVELY. It wasnt meant to
If you keep hunting dogs then expect them to hunt. It sounds like you want to ignore them while you work but expect them to stay in neutral. A terrier thrives on scent and needs little stimulation to take things forward. If you are busy why dont you put them up or get a pekanese. SORRY IF THAT CAME OUT AGGRESSIVELY. It wasnt meant to

Good advise.