3days to go

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Way back when the vote was announced I got slagged off on a fishing forum by people saying that the UK could not stand up to the EU because of its collective might. I argued that the EU was not a sing

I looked out the window after bojo's announcement and I couldn't believe my eyes,  the sky hadn't fallen in or anything lol

I'm a brexiteer, and I think Boris is our only chance of a clean break or an advantageous deal, but I also know about real politik and horse trading, so I won't celebrate until it's completely done !

Posted Images

There is no point sticking to a timetable if the desired outcome looks attainable. The EU are cracking. 20 of the 27 countries don't give a feck about fishing. If the truth was known, the French fishermen will lose more from a no deal than a deal with negotiated and limited access. In a no deal scenario they might as well sink their boats.

Merkel and the Dutch PM are both agitating for Macron to drop his demands. Once fishing is out of the way the only major stumbling block is the level playing field. There is no reason for the UK to sign up for that. There is no level playing field. Wages, unemployment benefits, taxation, working hours, etc are all different across Europe. What they want is for UK manufacturers to agree to making things to EU standards even if they have no intent to export to Europe. That protects EU businesses against UK competition for UK sales. And, no country in the world would agree to letting the EU set rules when we have no input into the decisions. So once fishing is out of the way a watered down agreement can be negotiated where the UK will agree not to compete with the EU by cutting standards.

The UK are making ground. Let them get on with it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

would disagree with the statement about the uk making substandard products very strongly. as an engineer myself i can tell you the components i make are as good as any made elsewhere in the world.

And the products I was Importing from China were as bad as any made in the world ?

• Haha 1

I think that you misunderstand. There are standards for many goods on sale and for example in the EU these standards will encompass a greater diversity of temperatures than found in the UK. If someone in the UK wants to make plastic hosepipe connectors for purely UK sales they should have no need to have to make them suitable for -40C to +40C as they would for EU approval. So they could make them cheaper than EU made ones. Same with some foodstuffs. The EU enforce higher than necessary standards to protect EU farmers from competition from places like Nth Africa. The UK has no need to follow suit. What the EU wants to do is to lock the UK into its own rules to prevent it from competing with EU exports.

And, as you say; the UK is already ahead of the EU in many areas, but they don't want to raise their standards to UK ones, which is hypocritical.

• Like 1

Sadly, Boris hasn't walked away or ended the talks. Barnier will come to the U K next week to carry on the talks.

Boris statement today was just bluster to try and hide the fact his deadline has passed and he didn't call off the talks.

There will be a deal; Boris will say we won, and the EU will say they won, and we will carry on much as usual.

Cheers.

This is exactly what is needed. No deal is the best route to a good deal. Let the EU face the wrath of all those businesses that stand to lose out. Merkel is already wavering and Macron will realise that there are a lot more Peugeot, Renault and Citroen workers about to lose their jobs than fishermen. And the fishermen will realise that smaller quotas is infinitely better than no quotas. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
3 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Not long now and it will all be behind you, anyone with a brain cell should be worried about the fall out from this cold and the state of world economics, but proper men prepare for the battle ahead while spineless little girls are ready to sell out there own country’s for the promise of somewhere to hide under someone else’s petty coat, ?

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, sandymere said:

I looked out the window after bojo's announcement and I couldn't believe my eyes,  the sky hadn't fallen in or anything lol

tenor (11).gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
4 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Well even if we're not, that's how you negotiate with the EU, I was amazed they believed bully boy tactics would work on UK, global threats from Obama and others , feck em, it's an ideal trading partner with location etc but long way to go until January, I'm a bit disappointed with voting down of food standards law, but it's still down to people to buy what food they feel is acceptable. Might be some decent jobs in far flung corners for future generations, exciting times....it'll be great for British industry if we can train our own and don't have to tender everything to EU countries or labour....

The french will have to eat fishfingers lol and we can eat all the hake that used to go to France Spain ?