Homespun Cider making

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Nice work..i have been doing something similar for the past few years..i have my own honey bees that produce more honey than i can sell so i make 23L batches of Cyser with any surplus Honey...it is basically apple wine but made with honey instead of sugar..the apple juice i use is pure apple juice from the supermarket.. 

Sounds a good problem to have a surplus of honey mead springs to mind, I only made a small batch this year mainly down to time and apple supply restraints but over the last 25 years or so I’ve always had something on the go be it beer wine or cider.

The drink you make sounds really good be nice to see some pics of the drink and your hives.

Fantastic set up you’ve got there I zoomed into those containers 321b pots the bees must love what’s going on to produce so much, I’d be awash with alcohol with all that on tap thanks for putting up the pictures.

edited to say I worked out how much is sitting there 512 1bs nearly half a ton was that all one season.

Edited by FLATTOP
37 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

Fantastic set up you’ve got there I zoomed into those containers 321b pots the bees must love what’s going on to produce so much, I’d be awash with alcohol with all that on tap thanks for putting up the pictures.

edited to say I worked out how much is sitting there 512 1bs nearly half a ton was that all one season.

Yes that was all from one season..in total at the end of last year i ended up with just over 700lb of honey..

• Like 1

Looks really good nice and clear I tend to do mine in Demi johns these days as opposed to 5 gallon barrels I have more control over it and you can see how it’s progressing.

Its a nice feeling when it’s finished off with the labels and the little gold neck wraps I haven’t done wine for a while but I remember shrinking them on with a kettle steam.

Looks a good little hobby 700lb in a season thats mad I would never have known you could yield so much more than enough to give you a good supply of wine but brings in a few quid as well sort of pays for itself.

I have about 3 years before I retire and I am going to really ramp up making home brew when I do looking forward to it.

• Like 1

The bees can be hard work and frustrating at times and it is a never ending learning curve.. different problems arise every season that gets you thinking  of the best and different ways to solve the problems quickly while thinking on your feet..it is fairly addictive though and a fascinating rewarding hobby when you get everything right..

I find the Mead and Cyser making a lot easier and just as rewarding once it has finally cleared and ready for the bottles..

Good luck with your retirement plan..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Millet said:

The bees can be hard work and frustrating at times and it is a never ending learning curve.. different problems arise every season that gets you thinking  of the best and different ways to solve the problems quickly while thinking on your feet..it is fairly addictive though and a fascinating rewarding hobby when you get everything right..

I find the Mead and Cyser making a lot easier and just as rewarding once it has finally cleared and ready for the bottles..

Good luck with your retirement plan..

I found a hive this week that had fallen out of a tree in a swarm trap. I called a local beekeeper and he came and collected them . I took a great interest in them so much so I ordered a book ?

1EE39B56-00DE-4ACA-A600-A269E2A92100.jpeg

I racked a batch of Apple cyser today..the five on the right just need to let them stand now to see if they clear..I also started another two on the left..

20210124_153610-01.jpeg

Edited by Millet
  • Like 1