Homespun Cider making

With so many apples around this year, October is the ideal time for making cider and I have written a blog that will get those interested started.

1106590451_buckhurst216.jpg.a99af0698732a1c7df9e3b99054bd453.jpg

This is my garden cider making production line, including shredder for making the apple pulp and bottle jack for pressing the juice. 

The full illustrated blog and step by step instructions are here. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/homespun-cider-making-made-easy/

• Like 7

I make Cider myself most seasons here’s my little production line simply cut in to quarters pulp through tree shredder then press through my trusty Vigo press, and then ferment naturally after that lock down in airtight demijohns or barrels and rack off every 5 weeks or so and then ready to drink April time or first Cuckoo ?

F107F06C-1EC9-4F5C-8069-EB159A8504BE.jpeg.8cc87d30f371abac0d4a35c0aea5004e.jpeg49BB5EA3-A590-450A-9FD6-6FF73AF4FF4B.jpeg.86caebe1fbc4215396220fd5365c4e08.jpeg0BCC384A-28F8-4200-AF46-DA69E64EFD8E.jpeg.57ed2aca3e9c311f202ea0244c99b486.jpeg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, kenj said:

With so many apples around this year, October is the ideal time for making cider and I have written a blog that will get those interested started.

This is my garden cider making production line, including shredder for making the apple pulp and bottle jack for pressing the juice. 

The full illustrated blog and step by step instructions are here. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/homespun-cider-making-made-easy/

Nice little Blog Ken the most natural way of doing it I remember one season I made about 12 gallon on my own from cutting to pressing to cleaning up after,  hard work on your own.

3 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

I make Cider myself most seasons here’s my little production line simply cut in to quarters pulp through tree shredder then press through my trusty Vigo press, and then ferment naturally after that lock down in airtight demijohns or barrels and rack off every 5 weeks or so and then ready to drink April time or first Cuckoo ?

F107F06C-1EC9-4F5C-8069-EB159A8504BE.jpeg.8cc87d30f371abac0d4a35c0aea5004e.jpeg49BB5EA3-A590-450A-9FD6-6FF73AF4FF4B.jpeg.86caebe1fbc4215396220fd5365c4e08.jpeg0BCC384A-28F8-4200-AF46-DA69E64EFD8E.jpeg.57ed2aca3e9c311f202ea0244c99b486.jpeg

What do you use as the netting bag in your vigo bud?

Outofnowhere The shredder is used for reducing green garden waste for the compost heap, but is ideal for producing the pulp. A quick hose down and its ready to go. I've found that squeezing out the pulp by hand can produce a reasonable supply of juice, if you can't make, or buy a press. Mind you the tannin in the juice turns your hands black. My wife has always been the other half of the team, cutting and feeding the shredder, also helping with picking up apples, while I shake the tree.

FLATTOP do you add yeast, or just use the yeast from the skins?

9 hours ago, Outofnowhere said:

What do you use as the netting bag in your vigo bud?

I use something like this in the link very cheap last for ages and easily washable or you can just use curtain netting..

My tree shredder you see in the pics £30 on gumtree I only use for cider it’s never seen a tree and after use I clean it and wipe all metal parts with olive oil other wise the acid from the apples will eat it and turn it black.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193691335527

8 hours ago, kenj said:

Outofnowhere The shredder is used for reducing green garden waste for the compost heap, but is ideal for producing the pulp. A quick hose down and its ready to go. I've found that squeezing out the pulp by hand can produce a reasonable supply of juice, if you can't make, or buy a press. Mind you the tannin in the juice turns your hands black. My wife has always been the other half of the team, cutting and feeding the shredder, also helping with picking up apples, while I shake the tree.

FLATTOP do you add yeast, or just use the yeast from the skins?

Hi Ken I do use the natural yeasts and I am on the batch I’ve got on the go now but it seems to be going really slowly which is meant to be a good thing a long slow cold fermentation is good for cider, but if any time during the process you think it’s not working or you want a more guaranteed result use Harris Cider yeast I’ve used it several times and it works more or less 100%.

If you leave it too long and it doesn’t work you could end up with gallons of Cider vinegar great if your a chef but heartbreaking if you like drinking natural cider. Heres a link for the yeast.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162084410522

FLATTOP In the blog I said about my first natural batch having varied results on natural yeast from the juice. I used to make wine, esp apple wine and elderberry using wine yeast and remember that it was slow to get going and added some wine yeast, that I had, with mixed results. There was a good home brewing shop nearby for years and I went back there this year for more yeast to find that it is now a Screwfix. So this year I have tried the yeast pictured, that I bought off eBay. It is from Poland and came with a sachet of nutrient. It fizzed off well for a few days and has now settled down after 3 weeks to a slightly hazy golden orange with about 15 mm of lees. This week I will rack it off into a clean demijon, drawing some yeast through and add some sugar depending on the SG, to start a second fermentation.

I go shooting and for years have had mixed apples from an old orchard on one of my permissions, but unfortunately the lady owner died of Covid this year and the farm is up for sale and will no doubt go to some horse owning types, that think bunnies  are cute, so I will lose another permission. This batch was made from 60% bramleys, plus eaters and 20% mixed crab apples. Interested to see how it turns out.

• Like 1

@kenj It can be hit and miss with the natural yeast a chap who I’ve known for thirty odd years who runs an online brew shop said why risk all the hard work with the yeast he says it only takes one nasty yeast amongst the many different ones on the apples to mess it all up so he always recommends the Harris yeast which I’ve always reached good results with.

The combination of apples sounds like the makings of a good dry cider.   

I go shooting myself and am always on the forage I have made many wines rose hip is an interesting one but I am not patient enough to wait a year plus to drink them.

Good luck in retaining your permission you never know they might be hunting people who buy the farm who know other hunting people which could lead to more permission always look on the bright side you never know ?

FLATTOP Round my way I have lost five permissions in as many years due to gentrification. Two to polo pony owners taking over the land, two to housing developers, where farmhouse and out buildings were turned into luxury homes and the most recent was a building bordering a large paddock converted into a bungalow, where the new owners complained to my farmer about the nasty old man shooting the rabbits, which upset their children. So I don't hold much hope out for the last farm, both Ruth (who was born there) and her husband, who now has dementia, were renting out their land for grazing, much of it being left fallow and selling hay, which was cut by a contractor. She kept geese, ducks and chickens for eggs on sale at the gate. (Probably how she caught Covid) I shot foxes and rabbits around the free range pens. The son is not a farmer, living in London and I can't see him continuing it. Different times now.

I know this is nothing to do with cider, but I'm sure others are having the same problems.

On 11/10/2020 at 13:30, kenj said:

Haha when i first seen that i thought you were Walter White fae Breaking Bad ? f*ckin love it mate. On yersell well done and class setup!

• Like 2