Question for anyone hunting any of the German gun dogs.

A bit off all 3 really mate. I run the lurcher loose with her I’ve always used lurchers for hunting up but always felt like I could be walking past stuff. Toyed with the idea of a spaniel or some sort off bushing dog. Always heard good things about the GWP as a fox dog and then I seen a couple work regularly a few years back and decided they was for me they’re the real deal for what I do so I just did plenty of homework and waited for the [BANNED TEXT] litter 

• Like 2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This bitch has been brought up on fox only, she will hunt rabbit a little bit but slowly getting her away from that. She’s 13 month old and doing well so far 

German Short Hair for me, my lad is a do it all dog, misses nothing and a powerful breed.                  Very loyal, great watchdogs too, he absolutely hates foxes.  

Yeah they  use them Kodiak cameras ??

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, justdigit said:

Thanks she’s a cracker. Built more like a dog than a bitch if that makes sense. Looks wise she’s turned out better than I ever thought she would 

The best 2 gwp’s I saw in trials were Maplehaze Nightjar and her daughter Maplehaze Finlaggen. Both were built like your bitch

1 hour ago, justdigit said:

I’ve never had anything to do with trials or anything. What do they consist off for a HPR 

The dog has to hunt , with style and pace, to locate game. It has to hold the game, pointing, until the handler and guns are in position and then flush on command and remain steady. It then has to retrieve to hand on command. All these have to be done silently.Sounds easy but very very few hpr’s do the above well !!!!

4 minutes ago, jessdale said:

The dog has to hunt , with style and pace, to locate game. It has to hold the game, pointing, until the handler and guns are in position and then flush on command and remain steady. It then has to retrieve to hand on command. All these have to be done silently.Sounds easy but very very few hpr’s do the above well !!!!

Ye I can imagine the effort that goes in to training them to that standard. Have you had much to do with any off the other HPR breeds 

15 minutes ago, C.green said:

These seem to be the latest wonderdog are they really as good as some make them out to he ?

Depends what you’ve heard about them. I’m not sure about them being the latest thing the ones I seen that got me interested in the are both dead now they where both bought before the hunting act came in for if there wasn’t going to be any hound work at all. The same bloke had them before that for many years but used them for picking grouse as well as hunting fox. A few lads I know have got into them because off what I’ve said about them and also crossed a couple off lurchers with them and I don’t think they have been disappointed so far. I can only speak about the ones I have seen and they are good at what we use them for. I’ve always had lurchers for hunting up and finding but if I had to pick now between another lurcher or a GWP bred for use I’d have the pointer 

On 03/12/2020 at 20:38, justdigit said:

Do you keep GWP yourself then? And what’s better about the GWP compared to the other breeds from a HPR point of view 

Never had a gwp, I had a GSP. A friend has gwp’s and uses them on the grouse and stalking