Question for anyone hunting any of the German gun dogs.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This bitch has been brought up on fox only, she will hunt rabbit a little bit but slowly getting her away from that. She’s 13 month old and doing well so far 

German Short Hair for me, my lad is a do it all dog, misses nothing and a powerful breed.                  Very loyal, great watchdogs too, he absolutely hates foxes.  

Yeah they  use them Kodiak cameras ??

Posted Images

1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

The German wirehaired pointer gets used on hogs etc 

think there might be a bear guide uses one to warn him of nearby Kodak bear ?  He lives out in a island middle nowhere

they have a hatred of red fox as well ?

yeah fox are what i was studding on i wonder if the tranning is diffent from hounds

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 15:17, forest of dean redneck said:

The German wirehaired pointer gets used on hogs etc 

think there might be a bear guide uses one to warn him of nearby Kodak bear ?  He lives out in a island middle nowhere

they have a hatred of red fox as well ?

they’re a b*****d to photograph them bears!! 

• Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 16:51, Runthemhard said:

yeah fox are what i was studding on i wonder if the tranning is diffent from hounds

I had a GSP and I had her started on killing fox and to be honest it ruined her.

Dont get me wrong if I didn’t have other dogs and kids she would have been fine but she took to leathering the other dogs, killing cats and was off with all the family except me.

Not saying that’s how they all are, just my personal experience 

4 hours ago, WILF said:

I had a GSP and I had her started on killing fox and to be honest it ruined her.

Dont get me wrong if I didn’t have other dogs and kids she would have been fine but she took to leathering the other dogs, killing cats and was off with all the family except me.

Not saying that’s how they all are, just my personal experience 

did you already have her tranined on birds? or were fox the frist thing

Some of these continental hpr breeds are incredible animals. I had a gsp for 11 years. Personally I would only ever be interested in GSP and GWP. I have seen the other hpr breeds in trials but would  only be interested in those two breeds. On paper they are incredible animals, but in reality a good one is very very rare indeed. A hpr that does it all , and does it well, will be as common as a donkey egg !!!!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, justdigit said:

This bitch has been brought up on fox only, she will hunt rabbit a little bit but slowly getting her away from that. She’s 13 month old and doing well so far 

73FB4500-98B6-4435-B64A-5691B3D15CB9.jpeg

If you're working fox only how do you hunt her? I assume not like a typical HPR gundog?

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

If you're working fox only how do you hunt her? I assume not like a typical HPR gundog?

No I just hunt her more like a hound. Let her go and she’ll go look for scent she’ll take a line on them. She’ll give mouth when she’s behind them. She getting there with the marking and she will retrieve one to me once it’s been shot if there’s no other dogs around me. She hasn’t gone on point at anything yet and I’m not over fussed if she does or doesn’t 

• Like 1
Just now, justdigit said:

No I just hunt her more like a hound. Let her go and she’ll go look for scent she’ll take a line on them. She’ll give mouth when she’s behind them. She getting there with the marking and she will retrieve one to me once it’s been shot if there’s no other dogs around me. She hasn’t gone on point at anything yet and I’m not over fussed if she does or doesn’t 

As I thought but was just curious. do you run her with lurcher or flush to gun or is she just for putting them to ground for the terriers like?

I like them mate. One day maybe I'll have one in kennels as something a bit different but complementary to spaniels.