Crossing for size.

9 hours ago, Runthemhard said:

Just curious if anyone has crossed a high drive terrier with a bigger hunting or working dog. The reason I ask is I really like some of the terrier drive but worry about their small size with the predators we have coyotes being the worst. 

What about crossing one with a stock dog or cur?

dont know what your set up is= kennels etc, because  any terrier what  ever type . pat, jack, anything of 12-16lb would be killed by a 30-40lb yote , and more so if 2 yotes are out there by the dog, as you know your self a yote a hard fighter with strong jaw, small dog got no chance, because a yote killing for food , same as wolf , they aint fighting for the love of it . why not get a small type staghound , they give you plenty of sport day/night .

• Like 1

the boy that give me the idea had one that was half jag and red heeler cow dog he said the two he keep did great and the ones he gave to hunters in the area had treed coon bobcat bear and mounting lion and run down rabbits foxs mink and coyotes i just trying to if he just got lucky or if it tends to work out that way 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bird said:

dont know what your set up is= kennels etc, because  any terrier what  ever type . pat, jack, anything of 12-16lb would be killed by a 30-40lb yote , and more so if 2 yotes are out there by the dog, as you know your self a yote a hard fighter with strong jaw, small dog got no chance, because a yote killing for food , same as wolf , they aint fighting for the love of it . why not get a small type staghound , they give you plenty of sport day/night .

i know how bad coyotes are that why i was thinking a terrier drive in a bigger body. i had looked at stag hounds but dont think they would work in the heavy cover we have

16 hours ago, Runthemhard said:

Just curious if anyone has crossed a high drive terrier with a bigger hunting or working dog. The reason I ask is I really like some of the terrier drive but worry about their small size with the predators we have coyotes being the worst. 

Just cross a dogo with a greyhound if you want pace with strong structure

13 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

What is traditionally used where you live for the function that you have in mind? Others who have gone before you may have already solved your problem. 

well fox hounds were the thing back in the day but they were about whip out with the foxs back in the 70

17 hours ago, Runthemhard said:

the boy that give me the idea had one that was half jag and red heeler cow dog he said the two he keep did great and the ones he gave to hunters in the area had treed coon bobcat bear and mounting lion and run down rabbits foxs mink and coyotes i just trying to if he just got lucky or if it tends to work out that way 

Cross the aussie cattle dog with a greyhound  and it'll do all you'd want it to do and a bit extra..