End of the ferret finder?

17 hours ago, mushroom said:

That's the problem I'm guessing, some form of patent.

From what I understand, the tech is the same as what's used for rescuers finding people buried under avalanches, I've worn the tags in the past and they weren't Deben. Surely then, it's open technology in some form. 

The original ferret locators available more than 40yrs ago so before Debens  state how long they've been producing them, were drain locators which where fixed to drain rods to locate blockages underground and were then adapted to fit on a collar around a ferrets neck.

Y.I.S Leeview

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That happen's  to us all Don ! my three Lads never missed a chance to go Rabbiting but as soon as they got a sniff of Fanny   they were off

Thought I would get some more while I can.

well i think its a good thing that a ferreting and rabbiting chap has got the rights to sell them....good luck to les..

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Leeview said:

The original ferret locators available more than 40yrs ago so before Debens  state how long they've been producing them, were drain locators which where fixed to drain rods to locate blockages underground and were then adapted to fit on a collar around a ferrets neck.

Y.I.S Leeview

Lol, I'm still using my mk1 box and collar for that very same thing... Handy bit of kit along with the cat and genny?

18 hours ago, Elchapo said:

Well that’s a load of wank , I herd that the lad who does the leather who used fox mk1 has been trying make a new one and had a patent on one 

Well that's wank, that leather lad fixed fk all. Ripped a few of though. 

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, netrigger said:

Well that's wank, that leather lad fixed fk all. Ripped a few of though. 

Never sent anything to him so wouldn’t no about that , ; Paul Sullivan think his name was I herd he’d made a new one , not sure if he had or not , and yea it’s definitely wank that there’s lads out there especially young lad# trying start out who have saved up buy mk3m second hand now to find out they  can’t get  them fixed because there not in warranty , it will probably turn in to a new thing now where they bringin a new version out every couple year and not fix old ones so people have keep buying new ones in 

Deban are crafty... Rub off the part numbers... . On the little transistors etc. If you know someone who fixes tvs, radios etc, could maybe identify the parts to repair? Or even knock up a new one? With YouTube etc shouldn't be too hard these days surely? ? 

• Like 1

deffo a market for one but not huge. But enough for an earner for a small company. Big knock to not  have one be a bit lost. I rarely dig but in thick hedges just nice too keep tabs 

Edited by terryd

After several years resisting the locator I bought one around 20 years ago and now wouldn’t be without one. Would be a sad day for me if I went out collarless, I have several atm but hopefully by the time they break someone will be making them again. The technology is pretty simple would think for the right person or company would be a nice if niche little earner. 

2 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

After several years resisting the locator I bought one around 20 years ago and now wouldn’t be without one. Would be a sad day for me if I went out collarless, I have several atm but hopefully by the time they break someone will be making them again. The technology is pretty simple would think for the right person or company would be a nice if niche little earner. 

Fair enough Bob many have thought the same over the years and failed to reproduce one ?

remember when the Mk1 was the bees knees £35 box and colllar or £46 box and 2 collars

This is part of a conversation I had yesterday with a friend. 

I bought 3 collars and 1 unit with 1 collar of ebay from uk so I'm good but thz anyway still hasn't arrived yet
Ferret Netting & Equipment Australia

Yes I know that you said that you would try and get some. I couldn't believe how hard it was to get any. When I contacted a company they had 78 sets plus a lot of collars. By the time a wholesale account was set-up they had 34 sets left and no single collars left. I was lucky to be able to get what I did.
Doug
Les told me there is a new one being developed as we speak supposedly a better unit
not by Deben
there is metion of it on his fb page as well

I know I have already secured exclusive distribution rights for Australia and New Zealand. It is going to be exciting its been in the works for a while now
Doug
think I will be right for awhile only bought the new one as a back up don't use them that often but they are handy when ferreting diggable ground and heavy cover. Good luck with the venture, I have been offered to be a distributor for a few different things over the years but that's not my game. I've been promoting this sport for quite awhile.
Doug
I'll point any questions about supply in your direction and have been already.