" Ageing " Meat. WTF?!

Very interesting. I don't think his lack of gloves is anything to do with not knowing anything, but more to do with not being subjected to the same (possibly EU) rules on Health and Safety as we are here. I don't think we can compare here with there and now with the old days.

My Dad was a butcher and seeing him in his shop in the 70s and 80s would give modern H&S people a heart attack but we never died from eating the meat from there. He often came home with fresh stitches in his hand from a trip to A&E. 

The only thing I would question (not disagree with) is that the mould on the meat is the same mould you get on cheese. I'd be interested to find out if that's true. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a smug ,self satisfied boring twat you are .

I used to ware gloves gutting rabbits......can’t stand that stink lingering on your fingers. Can’t believe there’s an argument about gloves amongst a bunch of big, rough, tough, drive across the

The people that made them up Wilf ...Health and safety is big business .. edited to say poor hygiene has a lot to answer for , perhaps if the Chinese had better we wouldn’t all be up shitcreek ..

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Councilestatekid said:

My old boss in Scotland used to like his venison to be hung in chiller till it had a lair of green on not that thick but said thats when its at its best never tried it or wanted to but he ate it all his life like that and lived till late 90s

Some folk reckon the bacteria an shit repopulates your gut flora, suppose to be really good for you, raw tho lol

Don't think I could stomach it myself lol

I used to ware gloves gutting rabbits......can’t stand that stink lingering on your fingers.

Can’t believe there’s an argument about gloves amongst a bunch of big, rough, tough, drive across the nation for a square go blokes ! Lol lol

Especially seeing as the f***ing thing is covered in an inch of green shit but that’s ok as long as he is sporting marigolds ! Lol 

• Haha 5
1 minute ago, WILF said:

I used to ware gloves gutting rabbits......can’t stand that stink lingering on your fingers.

Can’t believe there’s an argument about gloves amongst a bunch of big, rough, tough, drive across the nation for a square go blokes ! Lol lol

Especially seeing as the f***ing thing is covered in an inch of green shit but that’s ok as long as he is sporting marigolds ! Lol 

I used to do the slice and flick method and got a townie mate square in the gob. f**k me dead we howled at him alternating between spewing and spitting!

Doubt the meat hygiene folks would’ve been impressed.

• Haha 4
2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I used to do the slice and flick method and got a townie mate square in the gob. f**k me dead we howled at him alternating between spewing and spitting!

Doubt the meat hygiene folks would’ve been impressed.

Always hated gutting anything, just never get used to the stink.....once it’s done, no problem but the smell of guts I always found horrible.

• Like 1

Some years back I was into charcuterie, and some moulds were deemed desirable on produce like salami, chorizo, bresaola etc. The favourable mould was white and resemble a coating of whitewash. The general rule of those experienced members of the forum was anything fuzzy could be washed off with a brine or vinegar solution and the product would be fine. Any signs of  black mould  was deemed very dangerous. 

bresaola.jpg.0e473901a441444480fea20a73fe9792.jpg

salamiandchorizo1.jpg.5e28aa680fd81e62281b6338759efd40.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mister Gain said:

Some years back I was into charcuterie, and some moulds were deemed desirable on produce like salami, chorizo, bresaola etc. The favourable mould was white and resemble a coating of whitewash. The general rule of those experienced members of the forum was anything fuzzy could be washed off with a brine or vinegar solution and the product would be fine. Any signs of  black mould  was deemed very dangerous. 

bresaola.jpg.0e473901a441444480fea20a73fe9792.jpg

salamiandchorizo1.jpg.5e28aa680fd81e62281b6338759efd40.jpg

That’s totally standard on them type of things mate but I don’t think I’d go as far as an inch of green shit growing on stuff ! Lol 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WILF said:

That’s totally standard on them type of things mate but I don’t think I’d go as far as an inch of green shit growing on stuff ! Lol 

I have to add that these cuts were cured inside protein lined casings, which were removed prior to slicing and eating, the taste of the mould had already migrated into the meat. Was absolutely delicious. 

bresaola3.JPG.92ff7ee9d127d2c595912dc3f5165f43.JPG

salamisliced.jpg.9a86a8c92cacfe4f005e77934525a651.jpg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Skinned , hung, prepped and eaten more venison burger, sausages and kebabs than you could ever imagine and never worn gloves. Some of us are out doing it whilst your reading the books on it. Ill leave it there .

Domestic usage not covered by regs  Rusty so keep stuffing all that venison . One day you’ll be big and strong enough to write your own posts without pasting mine?

Does  make me  laugh when folk say they’ve done this and that more than anyone else and shows a level of nievety . 

55 minutes ago, WILF said:

Always hated gutting anything, just never get used to the stink.....once it’s done, no problem but the smell of guts I always found horrible.

Never bothered me really. It does get into your skin though. Takes some scrubbing to get out so on that front I'd not knock anyone for gloving up. All the f***ing regulation bollocks though is nauseating. You'll need a f***ing degree to take a shit soon.

The lad that got a gob full was like you though, his lip would curl at the first cut! Teach the f****r to pay attention! :laugh:

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Never bothered me really. It does get into your skin though. Takes some scrubbing to get out so on that front I'd not knock anyone for gloving up. All the f***ing regulation bollocks though is nauseating. You'll need a f***ing degree to take a shit soon.

The lad that got a gob full was like you though, his lip would curl at the first cut! Teach the f****r to pay attention! :laugh:

The only smell that used to get me is an abscess.but once I knew how much fun I could get with one I learnt to appreciate them.

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Like yourself you mean when you say your one of the only ones that gets out and nobody else does a bit.?

We all know you would wear gloves you had a pair of welders gloves on to hold a small cat at arms length ya wee girl. Lol

There you go again ,copy paste and answer ,pathetic really mate and why you’ll never climb  the ranks on here to be up there next to me .I’ll throw you another bone later when I’m back in from foxing but until then be a good and no fighting with other betas .

Maybe you could do a write up on the deer you've killed ,love to read it bud .

No doubt you’ll reply with more bollocks .You must  learn to stand on your own two feet ,I can’t mentor  you every day .

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

There you go again ,copy paste and answer ,pathetic really mate and why you’ll never climb  the ranks on here to be up there next to me .I’ll throw you another bone later when I’m back in from foxing but until then be a good and no fighting with other betas .

Maybe you could do a write up on the deer you've killed ,love to read it bud .

No doubt you’ll reply with more bollocks .You must  learn to stand on your own two feet ,I can’t mentor  you every day .

What a smug ,self satisfied boring twat you are .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5