Lightwieght smock/jacket

30 minutes ago, C.green said:

400 quid for a smock ?

I couldn’t justify £400 for a smock for what I do a lot of these fancy smocks and clothing live off there names I’ve got a Belstaff Trial master jacket I bought it because Charley Boorman was wearing it on Long Way Down I thought I’d look cool on my motorbike I even got the same colour Antique Gold how shallow am I lol I hate it it’s sits in my wardrobe doing nothing, much prefer my Barbour Endurance best coat I’ve ever owned never been cold or wet in it and it’s been well tested. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With outdoor clothing money isn't really a factor for me. But then I'm not doing 100 quid a week on beer and fags or got 500 a month finance on a flash car or whatever like a lot of lads do. I've been

Literally the best jacket I've ever owned is a now discontinued Harkila and I know two professional terriermen who swear by the prohunter bottoms. Until recently they routinely used legit Gore-Tex in

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

With outdoor clothing money isn't really a factor for me. But then I'm not doing 100 quid a week on beer and fags or got 500 a month finance on a flash car or whatever like a lot of lads do. I've been disappointed with the performance of economy priced clothing too often to worry about parting with a few hundred quid every few years tbh mate. Everyone prioritises different stuff in their lives.

Yeah mate i look at it is how long it lasts to justify the outlay but was just the post above that saying cant be beaten on price but i know relise was talking about the decathlon one. I dont mind parting with the dough aslong as ya get a couple seasons out of it and it works.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Bought some ridge line gear probably 8 yrs ago for a trip to the Highlands .... Leaked like f**k put me off, same as the harkila boots I had .. Wouldn't take a pair if they was for free. 

Aye heard same said about paramo but tbh the paramo coat i got best ive ever had.

• Like 2
On 08/10/2020 at 14:31, Balaur said:

I like the look of em , but I think it'd be torn to shreds or hung up on barb lol and they're far from cheap too. 

But the benefit of the fabric is that it doesn't keep you waterproof in the traditional way i.e. by having a waterproof lining, so even if it does get damaged it still works, whereas other garments would then let water through the same hole. 

Having said that, you do need to wash them regularly and the washing stuff's not exactly cheap. I've got one called a Glamaig which is made by a company on Skye called Cioch using the same material but theres can be either off the peg or made to measure. It's great for when it's tipping down but, when you're a little hairy hobbit like me, it's warm in everything other than winter.

Edited to add: don't know what the prices are like now but, when I bought mine c. 8 years ago, it was cheaper made to measure than the similar model by Paramo.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/10/2020 at 13:45, Daniel cain said:

Bought some ridge line gear probably 8 yrs ago for a trip to the Highlands .... Leaked like f**k put me off, same as the harkila boots I had .. Wouldn't take a pair if they was for free. 

dont rate that harkila at all dc boots are proper shite jackets no much better overpriced toffs clobber....u saw em game smocks greeny? dunno what there like 60 quid in ebay

2 hours ago, jackthelad said:

dont rate that harkila at all dc boots are proper shite jackets no much better overpriced toffs clobber....u saw em game smocks greeny? dunno what there like 60 quid in ebay

Literally the best jacket I've ever owned is a now discontinued Harkila and I know two professional terriermen who swear by the prohunter bottoms. Until recently they routinely used legit Gore-Tex in everything which is industry benchmark for waterproofing. I wouldn't touch their boots but I really don't get the hate that this company attracts.

I wish I had been wearing that jacket this day rather than cheap shit.

IMG_2296.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Literally the best jacket I've ever owned is a now discontinued Harkila and I know two professional terriermen who swear by the prohunter bottoms. Until recently they routinely used legit Gore-Tex in everything which is industry benchmark for waterproofing. I wouldn't touch their boots but I really don't get the hate that this company attracts.

I wish I had been wearing that jacket this day rather than cheap shit.

IMG_2296.JPG

belting photo mate.....

• Thanks 1

Born,

Was you the guy that had quality issues with a Harkila Jacket quite a good few years ago now...???

I can remember a guy on here posting about it, it was letting in water and they replaced it for him, but

he continued to have problems.

SINDASOX

21 hours ago, SINDASOX said:

Born,

Was you the guy that had quality issues with a Harkila Jacket quite a good few years ago now...???

I can remember a guy on here posting about it, it was letting in water and they replaced it for him, but

he continued to have problems.

SINDASOX

No not me. I've had a couple, one I sold to my brother as it didn't suite me. The one I have had for a few years now is a simple hooded hard shell that I have thrashed and I wish they still made something comparable because it's damn near perfect.

The mountain hunter is closest thing to it in production now but I've tried one and it didn't feel as durable, it had like a netted liner which I know I'd rip in anger one day and it was £600! I payed £300 for the one I have now and it uses legit Gore-Tex. 

Likes been said ,there is a jacket yet made that copes with British weather .Rain ,sun and wind all in one day and physical activity on top .Better to carry top coat until needed I find as sweat is easily trapped with even the best breatheable  gear .Had  smocks but too heavy for walking far so now use couple layers of hoody style cotton tops that dry fast if gotten wet .On a quad whole different ball game though and a smock is almost a necessity I’ve found .Deer hunter do some decent trouser to go with smock and make you look like you know what your doing ?