Pensioners Outing..

My youngest lurcher is 10 now, she can still put a shift in lamping but feels it the next day. I think this season will be her last at that game. She is mainly a stalking dog now and can keep that up into her dotage. I have 2 more even more geriatric but who are still hanging on but have earned their spot and will be staying til its unfair to keep them any longer. Next year will be a wierd season without a running dog. Even if one of the oldies makes space a pup i want won't be quick to find and not likely ready to start by then. I have young bushing dogs to keep me busy but that won't do me any good on a windy night.

• Like 2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a wander up the fells this morning with Boots who seen his 8th birthday last week & my sidekick in life Ruby the Pomeranian who past her 14th birthday back on the 20th July earlier this year..

Good words from you guys..? I remember , back in the 1980's , writing a few words in a wee Journal, which I titled, "Lamping can be Dangerous". It had been a bad old season, and I just could

It’s mad how your all writing this today. I’ve got to put my old dog down today 10 years old his mind is still strong but his body has failed him he can’t walk anymore and is now messing himself

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, TOMO said:

nice pics mate....

i know what you mean about the aging dogs....hows swift is she still with us???...i had to put her sister Venus down about 3 month back.....and the little collie grew thing Bonnie is 7 in 3 months time....and full of injurys...

got to get some new stock myself

Old Swift is still going great guns Tomo,she's with our Jamie now,she looks a million dollars,still racing about like a young un on the beach etc..been a fantastic bitch,never ever put a foot wrong in life or out in the field..just pure class Tomo,hope your all keeping well bud.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Tyla said:

My youngest lurcher is 10 now, she can still put a shift in lamping but feels it the next day. I think this season will be her last at that game. She is mainly a stalking dog now and can keep that up into her dotage. I have 2 more even more geriatric but who are still hanging on but have earned their spot and will be staying til its unfair to keep them any longer. Next year will be a wierd season without a running dog. Even if one of the oldies makes space a pup i want won't be quick to find and not likely ready to start by then. I have young bushing dogs to keep me busy but that won't do me any good on a windy night.

I can recall your dogs on here as youngsters many many years ago now,sounds like your in almost the exact same position that I've found myself in although at least I have one youngster to run though,still not great out of 6 dogs but I'm not one for getting rid of my old troopers to make more room for a pup,these old un's deserve to live out the rest of their day's at a leisurely pace and no doubt that's exactly how you feel with your old servants too..fair play bud & it's good to hear they've got this far in life without succumbing to serious injury or death because the running dog game isn't easy as we all know that.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, FUJI said:

Had a wander up the fells this morning with Boots who seen his 8th birthday last week & my sidekick in life Ruby the Pomeranian who past her 14th birthday back on the 20th July earlier this year..it was just a walk out to reminisce of day's of yesteryear really as old Ruby now has cancer so her days of accompanying me out on the mountains unfortunately won't be for much longer,still today she went with her usual zest & one things for sure her fitness or lack of it would never be what finishes her,she's endless. Boots is nearing his retirement & for 18 months now he's joined us in the warmth of the house & away from kennel life so he's well prepared for hanging up his lead as & when that day comes..enjoy your dogs whilst you can as time passes us by so quickly especially as you get older yourself,not to long ago my kennels were full of spirited young dogs chomping at the bit for work,in the blink of an eye I have old Don dog who is 12 in a few months time,Fenn 9 within weeks,Boots now gone 8,Ruby 14 & my two young dogs Bear & Rose who were 2 last month & as Bear broke his neck last December out hunting I really only have Rose to go to war with..from having plenty now I have next to nothing so crack on and enjoy your time out in the fields because before you know it your 4 legged friend will be drawing it's pension just like my lot..anyways,hope you all have a great season,run them hard it's the only way..keep on keeping on folks.

Few pictures from our trek today.

PSX_20201005_184647.jpg

PSX_20201005_223610.jpg

Nice pictures good to see old dogs still at it. Just be grateful you’ve had a long career with them

• Like 1
9 hours ago, FUJI said:

Had a wander up the fells this morning with Boots who seen his 8th birthday last week & my sidekick in life Ruby the Pomeranian who past her 14th birthday back on the 20th July earlier this year..it was just a walk out to reminisce of day's of yesteryear really as old Ruby now has cancer so her days of accompanying me out on the mountains unfortunately won't be for much longer,still today she went with her usual zest & one things for sure her fitness or lack of it would never be what finishes her,she's endless. Boots is nearing his retirement & for 18 months now he's joined us in the warmth of the house & away from kennel life so he's well prepared for hanging up his lead as & when that day comes..enjoy your dogs whilst you can as time passes us by so quickly especially as you get older yourself,not to long ago my kennels were full of spirited young dogs chomping at the bit for work,in the blink of an eye I have old Don dog who is 12 in a few months time,Fenn 9 within weeks,Boots now gone 8,Ruby 14 & my two young dogs Bear & Rose who were 2 last month & as Bear broke his neck last December out hunting I really only have Rose to go to war with..from having plenty now I have next to nothing so crack on and enjoy your time out in the fields because before you know it your 4 legged friend will be drawing it's pension just like my lot..anyways,hope you all have a great season,run them hard it's the only way..keep on keeping on folks.

Few pictures from our trek today.

PSX_20201005_184647.jpg

PSX_20201005_223610.jpg

Nice pictures good to see old dogs still at it. Just be grateful you’ve had a long career with them

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, FUJI said:

I can recall your dogs on here as youngsters many many years ago now,sounds like your in almost the exact same position that I've found myself in although at least I have one youngster to run though,still not great out of 6 dogs but I'm not one for getting rid of my old troopers to make more room for a pup,these old un's deserve to live out the rest of their day's at a leisurely pace and no doubt that's exactly how you feel with your old servants too..fair play bud & it's good to hear they've got this far in life without succumbing to serious injury or death because the running dog game isn't easy as we all know that.

Yeah thats it. Doesn't seem long ago I was wondering what they'd turn out like and now they are nearly done. One of them in particular I never thought would make old bones and yet he is still here. I've brought on bushers since but its not the same as a lurcher. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a shame when they get old and the spirit is strong but the body is weak !

I had old Delta put down a couple of months back, she was 15. The deer x , Lima, is over 11 now, retired her at 10, but she's still out every day with me, and like you Andy, I've an old house cur, Kilo the chihuahua, 12 years old, tags along everywhere.

Need a couple of new dogs, just a case of trying to find the right ones !

Cheers.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Yeah, it's a shame when they get old and the spirit is strong but the body is weak !

I had old Delta put down a couple of months back, she was 15. The deer x , Lima, is over 11 now, retired her at 10, but she's still out every day with me, and like you Andy, I've an old house cur, Kilo the chihuahua, 12 years old, tags along everywhere.

Need a couple of new dogs, just a case of trying to find the right ones !

Cheers.

What a great innings though 15 is bud,she was probably getting on the day we was having the craic at that dog show over your way but she looked quite youthful to be honest & was in great order too..time waits for no man & no dog either,it's a shame that they grow old & become just a shadow of their former selves,when they go the memories stay with us until we go..a life without the dogs just wouldn't be a life at all..hope your keeping well & hopefully see you about next year if all this covid crap is out the way & we get some normality back in our lives.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

You's might of missed a trick Fuji ' maybe should of put Don over Swift ?.

Could of been useful for a bit of everything ?

We say the same thing every bloody day Max haha 

• Like 1

It’s mad how your all writing this today. I’ve got to put my old dog down today 10 years old his mind is still strong but his body has failed him he can’t walk anymore and is now messing himself

some of my best times with this boy learnt a lot and have great memories they just don’t live long enough. Enjoy them all

7E4E0E9B-2E74-4EA6-956B-A17A44F088E6.jpeg

98A981FF-6CB1-413C-9FE5-5DC796B5640C.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Sad 8
13 minutes ago, Ferretryan said:

some of my best times with this boy learnt a lot and have great memories they just don’t live long enough. Enjoy them all

It's hard mate, but you have to do the right thing, knowing the exact time is very difficult.

Ive had to put down three dogs since I came home;

A Doberman that I owned in Saudi, and brought home with me.

A Manchester Terrier that my daughter owned; born in the Ukraine, she got him given in Dubai, took him to Australia, brought him to the UK and I ended up with him.

And a lurcher that was my constant companion for 15 years.

All had a story to tell.

Cheers.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Ferretryan said:

Very sad to hear that fella,your right in what you say in that they just don't live long enough..keep your chin up buddy & keep them memories of your endeavours together for ever more..run fast & run free on them big pastures up in the sky pooch ?

images.jpeg

• Like 7