Lamp cigar plug fitting

Burning out cigar plug fittings on lamp twice I’ve had this happen now pretty shit to be honest especially lamp cutting out in the middle of the dog running this ones only done a few trips An it’s buggered all ready thinking might just do away with it straight wire it? This is the first problems I’ve had with this lamp an I’ve had it a while I don’t want to go LED as I can’t see down the beam with the white light

488AE452-5673-4885-A50A-2A433D92D1B6.jpeg

37 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv saw an been out with folk that have straight wires to lithium but why is the fuse int here in first place?  Must be a reason, I taped mine up years ago an never had a problem till recently i took tape off an it went temperamental, all taped back up now tho?

That’s my thought the fuse is in there for a reason I’m wondering if it’s because last season I thought I’d treat the lamp to a 100w new bulb instead of the 75w fitted as std I’m wondering if the current draw on it is heating the solder up maybe the little China man that soldered the joints didn’t flux them ??‍♂️ Might just cut the plugs off straight solder the wires then shrink wrap sleeve them then electrical tape them

36 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Tape the plug in with electrical tape , (you can get rolls of it at Poundland ) or wrap the bare wires together And tape in situ 

It’s the bottom of the plug mate the solder joints keep melting off it’s not popping the fuse the plug popping out

5 hours ago, delboy_187 said:

Halfords does better connections just a bit switching around learned hard way meself...tape it up as mentioned never bother...

16021242988121483778368649334868.jpg

16021243461044561141422656731378.jpg

16021243964558849592357211921259.jpg

Alright mate I’ve not had no problem with the 2pin plug to the battery it’s just the cigarette plug end to lamp that’s give me problems I’m gunner cut/delete the male an female plug 

On 05/10/2020 at 20:37, W. Katchum said:

Iv saw an been out with folk that have straight wires to lithium but why is the fuse int here in first place?  Must be a reason, I taped mine up years ago an never had a problem till recently i took tape off an it went temperamental, all taped back up now tho?

The fuse is to protect what ever device you are charging from a power surge from the battery.that could damage the device.mobile phone.tablet.camera etc.a lot of star gazers use the deben battery's to power there telescopes and run 12v TV's the fuse will blow before you damage your device.5p fuse is better to replace than expensive equipment..

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I use  ours to charge phones an run laptop an stuff when away camping or fishing an that, they a good bit of kit, didn’t know that’s what fuse for tho, cheers ?

It's surprising how many people use them. the carp lads use them aswell.

Your best bet is keep your fuse then.to be on the safe side.

I only use mine to run the lamp which is just a bulb so I'm safe that way..

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, poxon said:

I’m going to butcher mine out what’s the worst that can happen it’ll pop the bulb??

Yea get rid of the cigarette connection mate.its just a weak point in the connection.

I fitted 1 of these to the jimny a few days ago to replace the cigarette lighter socket. it had an inline fuse on it.its like the old car stereos years ago they had 1 aswell.

Screenshot_20201008-170942.png.2d7f69ed2dcd5fc0f3c9f4c7b2154ca6.png

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I use  ours to charge phones an run laptop an stuff when away camping or fishing an that, they a good bit of kit, didn’t know that’s what fuse for tho, cheers ?

Jeez, top tip, never thought about using it for anything other than lamping ?

Thank you.

Cheers, D.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Charges an iPhone more times than you’ll ever need on a few days away?

Just thought ? I've got microphone connectors on my lamp/battery wires (posted pics years ago) how do I get power out of that oblong socket on the battery?

Cheers, D.

5 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Charges an iPhone more times than you’ll ever need on a few days away?

How do you charge your phones on it mate. Be a good idea for when I’m camping. Kids killed my van battery last time which cost me 100 quid for a new one ?