Hoopoe - An unexpected visitor

A stunning Mediterranean bird arrived on our shores at the weekend and i made the 200 mile round trip to see and photograph it, obviously off course, more than likely due to strong winds and a slight lack of coordination this beautiful bird ended up in West Yorkshire, feeding on grubs and mites at the grounds of a cricket club...

04-10-2020 Hoopoe 1.jpg

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Used to enjoy watching them at folks old place in France, pretty birds . Nice pictures....

1st time i've ever seen one, made it even more special being on home turf...

11 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Real smart pics as usual? Never mind them immigrants tho keep the British birds coming ahaha?ever took pics of a shrike zandy?

Ha ha... creased me up...

Nah, not for no images of Shrikes, should put some effort in really to be fair, there’s been a masked shrike showing at Hartlepool and a Lesser Grey shrike on Holy Island past couple days...

They are cracking photos of the hoopoe ? 

We used to see them in Cyprus when we visited there, but when we moved to France we now have our own in the summer months. I can only dream of taking shots like that.

That one must have a dodgy sat-nav as they should be migrating south, not north. That said, around this time of year in 2010 we had a hummingbird hawk moth on our window box in Barnsley after some strong southerly gales.

On 06/10/2020 at 08:13, zandy01 said:

Ha ha... creased me up...

Nah, not for no images of Shrikes, should put some effort in really to be fair, there’s been a masked shrike showing at Hartlepool and a Lesser Grey shrike on Holy Island past couple days...

If you are looking for those sort of birds get over to Cyprus, Paphos area for the spring migration. Loads of cuckoos, raptors, shrikes, golden orioles and other birds pass through. The Akamas peninsular is their first piece of land when flying over from Nth Africa so they head for there. Also, there is a dam just inland called the Evretou Dam where ospreys and water birds stop over for a breather on route north.

• 3 weeks later...