Bedding and heaters

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tube heaters with thermostat from grow shop?

Probably best 2 install there own boiler the bosch Worcester is quite good 

I would even put some heating in the house  We can dream 

Posted Images

Just a quick one. Just be a bit careful with the heat lamps. Always a bit twitchy with bulbs and wires and stuff in kennels, always a little nervous of anything that gives off heat, it doesn't take too much to lead to fires. Paranoid maybe. In theory, a healthy dog thats rubbed down and put in a dry, draught free kennel, with good bedding, should be warm enough. Some sort of air blower would be a good shout, we use similar with lambs. Failing that, heated floors are the pinnacle of posh!

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Just a quick one. Just be a bit careful with the heat lamps. Always a bit twitchy with bulbs and wires and stuff in kennels, always a little nervous of anything that gives off heat, it doesn't take too much to lead to fires. Paranoid maybe. In theory, a healthy dog thats rubbed down and put in a dry, draught free kennel, with good bedding, should be warm enough. Some sort of air blower would be a good shout, we use similar with lambs. Failing that, heated floors are the pinnacle of posh!

Yep never used heaters or lamps. Like you say, rub down, decent bedding and a dry draught free kennel and they will be fine ?

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, JonDeer said:

I've always had all my electrics installed to my outbuildings and kennels, by a top notch electrician , I cut no corners and take no chances were my family and dogs are concerned, but I get where your coming from ?

same here mate, get the job done proper, i use the same heat lamps in kennel, leave them on all night it deff stops them stiffing up, because a dog will naturally roll up like a ball, to keep warm so it be stiff next morning . when had long hard night with Buck my big lurcher , i rub him down shoulders and thighs ,  feed then put him in kennel, next morning not stiff , only his shoulder  but that was a injury he did at 12 months old , but couple days rest , and he ready to go again, heat lamps are a must i reckon for a lamping dog in the cold wet winter months .!   

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, northern lad said:

I'm in the process of building kennels and I'm putting underfloor heating in them..cant understand why it's not more popular...easy to install and cheap to buy and run..

Sounds good job any links to certain ones? 

1 minute ago, Francie said:

Sounds good job any links to certain ones? 

Not decided which one I'm using yet Francie..be loose wire rather than mats..easier to put it where you want it..I'll just be doing the dogs benches with it...I'll just put it on half the bench so they can get off it if they get too warm.Its easy to fit,just tape element and thermostat down,cover in flexible screed,then I'm putting vinyl over that..cost me about 100 a bench for all of the above plus digital control panel..The heat they give off is unbelievable, way better than lamps imo, warmth directly to the dogs and no fire hazard...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, northern lad said:

Not decided which one I'm using yet Francie..be loose wire rather than mats..easier to put it where you want it..I'll just be doing the dogs benches with it...I'll just put it on half the bench so they can get off it if they get too warm.Its easy to fit,just tape element and thermostat down,cover in flexible screed,then I'm putting vinyl over that..cost me about 100 a bench for all of the above plus digital control panel..The heat they give off is unbelievable, way better than lamps imo, warmth directly to the dogs and no fire hazard...

Sound northern lad, be interesting to see it when you've finished mate. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Balaur said:

If I had my own pad would definitely have a heated kennel setup, I don't think dogs have any issue with British climate but for recovery and condition I think it's a benefit any injuries etc. Saves decent grub going to their heating bill. 

I would even put some heating in the house 

We can dream 

• Haha 3

is not a woolen kennel coat sufficient ,in colder nights,.a good deep bed of straw/wax paper and a kennel coat ? in the winters when snow was heavy and temps .hit minus i had heat lamps on all night ,then turned em off by day and put kennel coats on till night time ,back on with the lamps..once the dogs held their weight and never lost condition i was satisfied they were sound, good quality  warm food plays a large roll in the ,situation too i think

• Like 1

I must admit , I do the same as jigsaw through the day in cold weather, I put their jackets on , and use the heat lamp or a jacket on a night.....plenty of decent grub ( keeps em in good nick, and their not burning calories just to keep warm.....pups and any injured animal thrive under a heat lamp.....and it costs nowt if you fiddle the meter?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 03/10/2020 at 20:02, Daniel cain said:

Tube heaters with thermostat from grow shop?

I used these did they job just make sure you put some mesh around them and wiring the stop em chewing it as mine did.  

Luckily it was off otherwise dog would of had a nice shock 

• Haha 1