Foodies Of The Massive; My Curry?

The base of pretty much every curry is Onion, garlic, chilli and ginger.. 

The longer and slower you cook the onions the better the flavour, 

Spices should be ground and heated, I often cook all the base down and then use a blender to make it into a paste, add back the browned meat and add tomatoes and a small amount of water... this instantly thickens... cook quote high for 10 mins... the reduce heat and simmer..

I like coconut cream or double cream and lots of coriander to finish..

Key spices for Indian, ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric, astofedia, garam masala... ( there are lots of types of masala mixes you can make yourself).

f**k I love a curry!! Lol

• Like 4

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a very basic curry ,no chillies ,tomatoes ,spice ,herbs ,Pakistani pubic hairs ?

Oh, you poor, miserable fukkas!!! You weren't here, tonight, to help me get amongst These!!! Al' Rocks!  Nuff fukking said!!!

Oh; Dear Fukking God!!! Sorry. I Know I said I'd put a shot on 'What's Cooking'. But, why break from This thread, to show what amounts to the Culmination of all this? I tried to take a grea

Posted Images

Edit; Sorry - just seen above post that wasn't there when I started typing.

On a friend's recommendation we started using Shaheen curry paste. They cost about a quid a sachet and are very simple to use. Just heat a little oil in a frying pan, add the curry paste and fry for three minutes before adding whatever you like in the way of meat and vegetables. I used to add a little coconut milk and potatoes or squash to add volume and tone the spices down a bit. The results are far better than when using those curry sauces in jars.

Then the product became unavailable for export so I started making my own paste using onions, garlic, grated ginger, red peppers, tomato puree and salt put through a blender. Once the stuff has been rendered down I add the spices; cumin, ground coriander, tumeric, paprika, chilli powder, a few cardomom seeds, a little curry powder and some tikka masala. That is all whizzed up and oil added a bit at a time until the consistency is just right. You can use it straight away or freeze the paste for later. To use the paste I fry it for about five minutes on a high heat, stir in some chicken thighs, some coconut milk, half an onion chopped, a star anis, spinach, either potatoes or squash and some pulses like lentils or chick peas. Then stick it in the oven for an hour or so on a low heat, around 130C. It makes a lovely curry.

I also make naan breads using plain flour, yoghurt, salt, curry powder and cumin seeds along with a sachet of baking powder It is dead easy to do and they are better than those you buy on packets and re-heat

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 1

No no no, there are only 5or6 spices you need as a base for all curry,s garam masala,coriander, cumin,chilli,turmeric and cardamom, just get these then add more as you get more adventurous and confident, pastes for pussy,s ???? I do use a few pastes as well ?

8E117035-883D-488F-9961-4E287636F893.jpeg

Sid; I used to fukkin Live On those Patak's jars! Tin of stewed steak on a load of pasta into which I'd stirred a good spoon full of their Madras paste. Food of the fukking gods!

As for anything else, above? I appreciate the suggestions, lads. But, I only have this electric pressure cooker to work with. I just dump shit in and press 'Stew'.

On 02/10/2020 at 12:09, Ken's Deputy said:

Am I missing anything obvious, please? Dunno. I just have this niggling hunch that I could be.

My curry consists of spud, chopped into bite sized bits. Chopped onion. A grated carrot. Cubed beef. Curry powder. I do it ~ as I am as I type this ~ in my Electric Pressure Cooker.

Is there any other, dead basic, ingredient I've over looked? For the record; I can't stand mushrooms or ginger. Just to get that out the way. And I'm not looking for, " A Bay leaf. " Or, " A pinch of cardamom. " I'm talking about any other 'bulk' thing I might chuck in there. Maybe none exists?

Ken........type in Als Kitchen Madras curry on you tube ....you won't go wrong  

• Thanks 1

https://www.tradewindsorientalshop.co.uk/acatalog/Spices-Ground.html

don`t bother with the small jars of spices, too small and too bloody expensive, the above are seriously cheap but try not to get any pack bigger than 100g, if they have them in stock the taiwanese chopping knives are very good when you get the hang of them, sharp as hell and stay sharp

https://www.tradewindsorientalshop.co.uk/acatalog/Kiwi_Brand_Chopping_Knife.html

• Thanks 1

if your going to be making a lot of one pot meals stock up on dried pulses, lentils, beans and peas are cheap and an easy way of bulking up a meal, cheap gammon joint from aldi, mix of pulses, throw it in slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low then lift out the joint, pull it apart and stir through, eat it plain the first day then jazz up as wanted with spices (just be very aware that some beans need to be boiled not simmered to remove toxins, kidney beans are one that if cooked in a slow cooker can still make you ill)

• Like 1

So, just in case anyone ever runs away with the idea that I'm any sort of hot air blowing time waster type? I've been poring over loads of chube vid's on the most basic aspect: Making that British Indian Restaurant basic gravy. The very shit that has eluded me all these years!

Three things they all have in common.

• 1. Fukk off big pot full of onions. Okay. I'll look into that. Once I've made Absolutely sure no kunt out there can tell me how to make a much smaller pot! Only pot I own is about a litre or two? Dunno.
  • 2. Fresh Coriander! Oh, fukk off, Pull Eeease! That is just Not gonna happen! I've even checked out trying to grow the shit. That's not happening either! I'll have to find alternative weights of dried stuff.
  • 3. It seems a hand held, get it in that pot (Don't get it near the end of ye dick!) " Blender " things is absolutely de rigueur?

Check! ;)

Blender.jpg.c884c7685cbdd4b335d972623e6c0de6.jpg

And so we begin! :D

A slow cooked Rendang is probably my favourite to cook, that sweet and sour flavour from the Tamarind, lime juice  and the fruit I really like and the meat just melts in your mouth After 3 hours slow cooking......it’s the curry for people who don’t like “every day” curry’s imho.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Try this my old friend,....I eat a lot of Curries....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbW2NyoXVts

That's the exact one I'm looking at following too! :D

My only problem is that bloody fresh coriander. Everywhere I've looked ~ and I'm looking! ~ it boils down to a fukking great pot of onions. Then, dump a small armful of weeds on top and shove them down. Then, it's all just a spoonful of this and a pinch of that.

I can get red peppers. Green peppers. Chili peppers. Garlic. Even fresh ginger, amazingly. (Nods to Wilf; You're absolutely correct. It obviously will be in the " Curry Powder " I use. But, like in this recipe, it's practically a homeopathic presence)

I need to crack the enigma: How much dried / powdered coriander? I really Hate having to go down that road. Knowing I'll never experience precisely what Al's gone to such lengths to bring us. It just can't be helped :(

And, what would sir suggest go with my eventual pukka curry? Nice bottle of Australian Shiraz, perhaps? :p

• Haha 1

Well; Just like a good wine, this thread's maturing quite delightfully! :)

Fascinating article about " 19 Crimes " here: https://www.bustle.com/p/19-crimes-wine-is-based-on-the-dark-history-of-actual-infamous-convicts-11489059 Very relevant to what I'm about to relate below.

Here's a funny thing, considering: Some of my direct ancestors got bitched pawdel. Gt. Gt. Uncle, or there abouts. Maternal side. Surname of B****. K?

Well, B**** is a name one can find attached to landed gentry and all sorts, back in the day. West countryish sort of name. But, there were two or three brothers by the name. Seem to think I found them living around the Welsh border, at the time?

Gypsys, of course. But, one of them was an absolute fukking lunatic and ended up trying to cut his wifes throat! (Gleaned all this from the proper, official records and news paper reports, ages ago)

Well, One guy being a complete fruit cake is a case of " Shit Happens. " But, when, generations later, the males of that same line are Still being referred to as " Wicked, evil " men?! Fukk me!!! 'How many flies' material!

What's more, I've been in touch with fellow genealogists around the world and, guess what? Same Fukking Stories!!! It Literally appears to be  a bad gene. Like one of these inheritable diseases, which stand a good chance of being passed to your kids? The men of that line tend to be born inherently fukking evil and violent!

Now, here's the kicker! B**** is now a Massive name in Australia. Business wise. Ironically, I make my Home Brew with Coopers kits. Coopers are the biggest HB kit producers in Aus. And, their CEO's name is ..... (Fan fare! Roll of drums .....) B****!!!!! :o

Now, Finally; We all know the trait found in the most successful of businessmen. And, to this very moment, I ask myself:

Is the B' name so big, in Aus, because some filthy rich, landed gent took himself out there and used his money well?

Or, are the B's doing the Rupert Murdoch thing out there, today, descendants of my people; A practically unheard of little group of Gypsys who are ~ it would seem ~ 'to this day' producing psychopathic  male children, by default?

That's a fukking thought, isn't it?! Generation after generation of line bred lunatics! Wow!

Happily, of course; Only the Males appear to carry and bestow this trait. I'm out of a Female side of the line. Further 'protected' by a side step into another tribe :) Sane and harmless as any other raving fukking lunatic then! ?

Pass us that bottle, Phil .....

• Like 1